• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Mils, Yards and Meters and MOA

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I have a scope that ranges in Mils, and adjusts in MOA's.

I am just now starting to get into shooting at odd distances. (It is easy if you only shoot at exactly 1K and it is measured off)

If you range with mils does it make it easier to use yards or meters for range?
If you adjust with MOA does it make it easier to use yards or meters for range?

Re: Mils, Yards and Meters and MOA

There is a relationship between mils and MOA's. Oversimplified, I equate 3 Mils to roughly 10MOA. This means that for 1000yd, my elevation correction is around 10 mils added to my 100yd zero. for 700yd, it's about 5Mils. Held on the beltbuckle, I'll very likely nail your ass. If I could shoot impeccably at 1Km, I might refine the relationship a tad more precisely. For quick and dirty, my equivalence works well enough, for me. Simpler may not be better, but it gets me on paper.

Greg

It makes not a whit of differance if you range in yards, meters or furlongs. You should have a dope sheet that gives you a sight setting for each X units of measure, whatever they may be. Using yards or meters, get zeroes for every 50 units out to 1000. Now range the target and dial the number off the sheet. In between distances, split the differance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As Cory said, it doesn't matter what units you range in. Here are the formulas:

Ranging Formulas
</div></div>

Making that site a fav.

+1
That's really an amazing site!
Everything's fine