• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Min barrel length for .223 AR?

QAMR

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
New Zealand
Is there a min bbl length for an AR15? for example if you had a factory 24" barrel and chopped it down to say a couple of inches forward of the gas block is it gona have any negative effects?

Re: Min barrel length for .223 AR?

chopping a barrel that far can have cycling effects, your 24 should be able to go down to 20 easy...maybe 18... shorter than that you're gonna have to replace it because of the gas block location

Lower velocity so shorter effective distance. Some of the special forces chop down the barrel to 12 inches to accommodate a suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7 inches.....what do you want to do with it dude? </div></div>

Just shoot bunnies probably no further than 250m, I have heard that SPR's run a rifle length gas setup with an 18" bbl.
Im unfamiiar with AR's hence the questions

You should be able to go from a 24" to an 18" barrel with a rifle-length gas system without any problems, but as with everything...your mileage may vary. You may need to open up the gas port slightly depending on the ammo that you are using, etc. to obtain 100% reliability in terms of cycling, etc. I personally wouldn't go any shorter than 18" with a rifle length gas system on a .223/5.56, but you'll find others who disagree and say you can go shorter with other modifications like again...opening up the gas port...as well as lightening your BCG, etc.

I made a mistake by getting the barrel chopped down to 16" instead of 18", if it doesn't cycle properly will getting a suppressor help or will I need to get a new gas system or barrel?