• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing mini-14 gas pipe piston

Re: mini-14 gas pipe piston

When properly assembled the pc you have linked to cannot fall out of the gas block. It is held into the block by the small gas tube which connects the piston to the gas port in the barrel gas block pic
Might have to scroll down the pg about halfway

GO on the Viking Prepardness forum, look for ke4sky.

He's one of the old Ruger guys and worked on the mini's.

Thanks, Guys you are correct the small gas tube that holds the gas piston in place is missing not sure where it went but it's not there. I'm not to savvy on the minis but after looking at a assembly view it was no question that a part was missing.

The Pipe even with the Gas Plug securely pinched in between it & barrel . Does Not Fit totally fixed without movement , It does & I think in-design Must be a little adaptive to the Slide/Bolt movement .
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">& PLEASE DON'T PUT </span></span> a factory Ruger Gas Plug back into it . They are shit . & 3 Times to Large than necessary .
put in a smaller hole Gas Plug & it will be like a whole different animal when shooting . & also will not throw Brass 7 benches down the line with it being way Over Gassed .
Gas Plugs are also EASY to make if you have a small Lathe .

Mini-14's are like a Fat Girl & a Moped . I have owned 4 mini's even though I really never shoot them ...
wink.gif

Different factory Models of Mini-14s use different size Gas Plugs also .
Mine on this fix is Factory Pre-Fix # 197

Just went through all this yesterday . I replace the Gas Plug of the factory Ruger w/ the HUGE HOLE it has & makes the Mini-14 rudely over gassed .
Replaced with a Plug Hole of ( .049 ) .
re-torque 4-hex screws @ ( 32 to 35 In/lb ) on the Gas block bracket .

also:
I Cut-back barrel to 16.5
Re-cut Crown & thread 1/2x28 & install traditional Birdcage FH .
Move back & reattach front Sight Blade ,
2 Recoil buffers Rear & Front of bolt & Slide .
Now it is like a whole different animal than the recoil hammer the factory sells you .

Edit to Add :
For anyone who is making a Gas Plug & wondering the 'Best size gas-hole' to drill & Dimensions to size to make it .
Original Ruger factory Gas-Plug Hole I pulled out of mine was factory hole drilled @ least ( .089"). gas plug was REAL sloppy fit also in both barrel relief hole & cylinder plug in which it fit in-between .

Hole size I started with - Was not reliable on extraction & Not enough power from gas to power bolt all the way, back hard & hold Bolt open on last-round fired .
1st hole drilled - (.035" )
Then to ( .049") but it was right on the edge . Had good extraction but I could only get the bolt to lock open on Last-Round Hold-open about 50% .
Final 3rd hole . 'Settled on' - ( .057" ) drilling hole . & it was best all-around 100% reliable on Gas/power for extraction & last Round Bolt-Lock Hold-open . Did not throw brass very far either & was Mild on the recoil & easy smooth shooting .

<span style="font-size: 11pt">C<span style="font-weight: bold">ut Finished Size - Gas Plug Dimensions - ( length .295" ) . ( width .185" ) . ( hole .057" )</span></span>
_