• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

mini 14

Re: mini 14

They are ok ranch guns. They are not precision rifles.

nothing wrong with them but if you look you can get a basic AR for slightly more. and up grade it as you go to what ever you want it to be. mini 14s are what they are and are a pain to customize

I have a newer 580 ranch, I think they are much more accurate than the older ones because it doesn't deserve the reputation- I was making a coors light can dance pretty consistently the other day(200 yds), fairly rapid fire (with some crappy Wolf ammo). Accuracy falls off big time after that distance. With the proper magazines, 100% reliable, throws brass into the next zip code, practically disassembles itself for cleaning.
That said, if I didn't live in Ca. I would have spent $2-$300 more for a nice AR-15 20" with a thicker free-floated barrel for much more accuracy potential.

My conclusion: ranch/trunk gun, overpriced as new but can be had used for much less. Plenty of optics mounting options.

Bought one back in the 80's. Not very accurate, but it goes bang when you pull the trigger. If your looking for that style action go with the M1A, much better weapon. Just my 2 cents.

Hi, my name is Bob. & I am an Habitual Offender .
I Own a Ruger Mini-14 & it is scoped & cleaned & oiled, & dialed-up & with Good handload & sitting in safe . & I have also owed several Ruger mini-14's over the years that played this same Role.

Habitual buying of Mini-14 ??? . It's like a Bad habit & I am a Habitual Offender that never learns his lesson . I 'Can NOT' for the life of me think of any good reason why I still buy them from Ruger ? . They just sit in the safe and I never shoot them .

One Day, I end up getting rid of it because I NEVER shoot it because I always end-up grabbing & shooting the AR's that are sitting next to it . I sell it . Only to open my eyes one day & look . 'WTF' , There is another Mini-14 sitting there in the Safe again ? .
It's just one of those bad things you do in life . You KNOW it is Wrong & Stupid, & a waist of good money & ammo . But you keep on doing it . Only Again, to let it be an embarrassment to yourself and your family and friends around you .
Buying Ruger Mini-14's ? . All I can think of is that I have some kind of Mental Block & bad wiring . I think it is a genetics white-trash thing ? . You buy Mini-14's because of Bad Breeding & it's a Genetics flaw Thing . You will never overcome this obstacle because, Deep-Down you are Flawed .

As others have stated they are good sllid rifles and run with good mags. They are also limited on "upgrades".
I like them for what they are. Thinking of getting another one to keep me from throwing more money at my ar platforms.

Worked with a 183-series for over 25 yrs and the best I ever managed was 3 MOA. (1.5" @ 50 yds-had to back up to 50 yds because the 100 yd groups were so sporadic I couldn't even sight the damn thing in.) Loved the gun for just being fun to shoot and the Garand-type action. For any serious endeavors past 50 yds the sorriest POS AR I ever shot would outshoot it hands down.

Finally the bolt developed some cracks and sent it to Ruger for repair. You can't buy a bolt for a mini14---Ruger will not sell you one. It has to be sent back to them for replacement-or so I was told. They sent me word that my gun was not repairable. WTF? They can't replace a simple bolt with a factory at their disposal? They offered me a new one for a bit less than dealer cost-I bought it and had my FFL sell it for me. They destroyed my old one, along with a lot of my respect for Ruger.

<span style="color: #FF0000">If you want a gun that you can buy parts for </span>and keep it running yourself, get an AR. You can get some AR's for about what you'll have to pay for a new Mini14, and I'll bet you the AR will outshoot the mini in accuracy dept right out of the box with the right loads.

I must give the mini credit for always going bang-no telling how many rounds I put through it with the cracked bolt before I noticed it. You could probably blot out the sun with airborne lead if you could keep a steady stream of ammo feeding into a mini14, but there's a reason the A-team never hit anybody in their firefights.

EDIT: here's a link to the best quote I've ever seen describing accuracy testing of the mini14:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post3023171

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtdeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was wonderin if any one on here owns a mini 14 and if so ho do you like it? </div></div>

yes
And yes /no
itall been written sayudd!!!!
Pm off to you.
If buying and want a mini git the newer version .......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the Camaro of rifles. </div></div>

Haha, is that kind of like the Joe Dirt of humans?

I have an early mini 14, got it off a guy in trade. The thing will spray lead with the best of em. I took it out to a prairie dog mound for fun....lots of wasted ammo.

Softcock had his explanation about right.
I know what habanero’s do to my ass but I still eat them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the Camaro of rifles. </div></div>

You mean the Mustang of rifles, don't you.
grin.gif

Does the same thing as the Camaro, it just takes longer......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtdeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was wonderin if any one on here owns a mini 14 and if so ho do you like it? </div></div>

B.O.(Before obama) - $400 or less, usually lots less. I almost bought one for $350 NIB in '06. Bought a 92FS instead, kinda wish I would've boutght the Mini.....to turn and make a profit on. For under $400 NIB, BUY IT! It's a GREAT truck gun/ranch gun/brush gun/beater & shooter.....but it's NO AR-15

A.O. - $600 and UP NIB????!!! Sorry, but buy a Stag, or even a DPMS sportacle for $600 NIB. Many S&W's NIB for under $700 if you look......or a carryhandle Bushy for under $700....

I have one I got 2 years ago. Very nice wood furniture with a newer, thicker barrel. The cave man sights that come on it sucked so I replaced it with some from Tech-sights.com way better and closer to an AR style of rear sight. It's a fun rifle, no complaints.

Had one made in the 80's. After 4-5 rounds accuracy went from marginal to crap. The newer ones should be better. I swore off Ruger after that Mini 14 and a Mark II that I was lucky to get a three inch group with.

I had one, a stainless Ranch Rifle in .223. Never malfunctioned, shot everything I ran in it. But back then mags sucked ass, and hard to find good hi-cap mags. Not very accurate.

I sold it, and got an AR-15, no regrets at all.

YMMV

Kinda depends on what you are going to use it for. They are very reliable, but not very accurate (3-4moa). It takes a lot of $$$ and work to get them to be moa guns, and for a lot less $$$ and time, you can buy an off-the-shelf ar. If you just using it as a ranch gun or for general use, they're fine. If you are planning to use it for 3-gun or any type of practical rifle competitions, there are much better choices out there.

RugerMini14Tactical002.jpg

RugerMini14Tactical004.jpg

RugerMini14Tactical005.jpg

RugerMini-14.jpg

I have a total of 3 Ruger Mini 14's. My first was a NRA Edition Model with the Hogue Overmolded Stock that has the gold NRA Medallion in the pistol grip. That rifle shipped with 2, 20 round magazines. The other 2 are Tactical Models. One in Stainless and the other in blued carbon steel. The NRA Model I scoped, the Tactical Models I just kept it with the factory iron sights.

You will find people either love or hate the Mini. I hated it for years because I like most, couldn't see what it could do that an AR-15 couldn't do better. Then I actually shot one and I was pretty much hooked. No, they are not as accurate as a AR, but there is just something about them. And they are a ton of fun to shoot! The biggest issue I have is they are a PITA to take apart and clean compared to an AR platform rifle which comes apart in seconds. If you are buying one "just to have", and you aren't expecting guilt edged accuracy from it, you'll be satisfied. It's a very dependable, strong rifle. The only other thing I would say is don't even mess with aftermarket magazines with a Ruger Mini. Stick with factory magazines. They are the only ones that will run dependable 100% of the time. Everything else is a crap shoot. Nothing will piss you off more than a nice rifle that won't run because of a $h!tty magazine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, my name is Bob. & I am an Habitual Offender .
I Own a Ruger Mini-14 & it is scoped & cleaned & oiled, & dialed-up & with Good handload & sitting in safe . & I have also owed several Ruger mini-14's over the years that played this same Role.

Habitual buying of Mini-14 ??? . It's like a Bad habit & I am a Habitual Offender that never learns his lesson . I 'Can NOT' for the life of me think of any good reason why I still buy them from Ruger ? . They just sit in the safe and I never shoot them .

One Day, I end up getting rid of it because I NEVER shoot it because I always end-up grabbing & shooting the AR's that are sitting next to it . I sell it . Only to open my eyes one day & look . 'WTF' , There is another Mini-14 sitting there in the Safe again ? .
It's just one of those bad things you do in life . You KNOW it is Wrong & Stupid, & a waist of good money & ammo . But you keep on doing it . Only Again, to let it be an embarrassment to yourself and your family and friends around you .
Buying Ruger Mini-14's ? . All I can think of is that I have some kind of Mental Block & bad wiring . I think it is a genetics white-trash thing ? . <span style="font-weight: bold">You buy Mini-14's because of Bad Breeding & it's a Genetics flaw Thing</span> . You will never overcome this obstacle because, Deep-Down you are Flawed .
. </div></div>

LMAO!!
grin.gif
Maybe we're cousins... A few months back I traded a like-new 580 Series Stainless Ranch toward a Sig 1911 Nitron Rail since I never shot the Mini and it was just collecting dust in my safe. Since then I've been wondering (<span style="font-style: italic">for absolutely no good reason</span>...) if I should pick-up another one. <span style="font-style: italic">MUST RESIST</span>...
wink.gif

But seriously at current prices, at least here in NEOH, you can buy a decent AR for about the same price and have a much better firearm: STANAG mags, better parts availability, end-user serviceable (just try getting a replacement firing pin for a Mini...) and a multitude of upgrade options if you are so inclined.

If you enjoy shooting rifles like the AK or SKS, the Mini-14 will perform similarly, but with .223 ammo.

I wouldn't call them the poor man's AR but I might call the Mini-30 a poor man's AK. I prefer my SKS over either the Ruger or the AK.

I have sighted in several scoped Mini-14's for friends, and they shoot pretty much the same as my SKS. POI seemed pretty close regardless of which 55gr loads I used. Scopes more powerfuul than a 3-9X are probably wasted on this rifle.

I don't own one, and probably won't since I have a Stag Super Varminter on order. But for their price, they shoot well enough; as long as you don't need long range or high precision.

Definitely good enough for a truck gun. A good shot up close will do it for a deer or a hog, but I'd prefer the Mini-30 for such shots.

Greg

Have a Ranch, and love it for what it is. I have no illusions of grandeur(sp), but it goes bang everytime regardless of what I feed it. I hunt pigs with it, and it's a pig killin mf'er. Fun to shoot, but as stated don't waste your time with anything but the rediculously overpriced factory mag's. Have a 3-9x32 and am looking to swap it to a 2-7 because it really doesn't need a 3-9. It don't shoot that well beyond 150, so...
Eric

They go bang, without exception, every time you pull the trigger.
Decent accuracy on the newer versions, exceptional reliability. Far better than the AR's I own. NEVER a misfeed or jam- and I mean NEVER.

Ruger has sold over ONE MILLION of the Mini-14's,and they have been around for decades. The Garand inspired action is the key to their simplicity and reliability. While you'll hear a lot of bitching about "the one I used to own" (back in the '80s), not so much from guys that have purchased recently.

They have a role, and a niche. As long as your usage fits the bill, you will not be disappointed.

Now for the popcorn, again...

Totally confess that I still want one & it's on my "eventually" list that I have. They're a blast to shoot & I like to use them to introduce to new shooters who are ready to move up from a 10/22 & find the AR's looks intimidating - for whatever reason. Could be a CA thing though

I love mine, 9/10 i would reach for my AR instead though. that being said, i am really glad i own one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtrmn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Worked with a 183-series for over 25 yrs and the best I ever managed was 3 MOA. (1.5" @ 50 yds-had to back up to 50 yds because the 100 yd groups were so sporadic I couldn't even sight the damn thing in.)</div></div>

My experience with a SS Ranch rifle go with most here on the older versions. Loved the handling, as it is a "mini"-14, and I spent years with a full size 14.

With iron sights it seemed acceptable. Putting a scope on it was a mistake. As the post quoted said, you could not sight it in, as no coherent group ever formed. It got sold soon after.

We were issued mini 14's when I first got out on the road...they were pitiful at best-I ended up qualifying with my personal AR rifle as soon as I got off of FTO (couldn't trust my life with it!); we have since learned and now run RRA mid-length M4's. DO NOT waste your money!

I inherited one from my Dad when he died last year, an older 80's model with a wood stock. When I was a kid I used to dream about owning it, just cause it was my Dad's. I saw him take several deer with it after his '06 was stolen.

It is pretty accurate up to about 100 yards, beyond that is a crap shoot. Funny thing is, my Dad used to be accurate with it at much longer distances. Kinda funny how he used to be able to shoot all his guns extremely well.

Anyway, I have a ton of fun with it, obviously it will never leave me because of where it came from, I would not spend my money on one though.

I have one from the early 80's as well. No way to mount a scope that I know of unless you do a d/t job on it. Basically, I had seen Sands of Iwo Jima too many times and was so green, I didn't know that Garands could be bought by civilians. The next thing that looked close was the Mini 14. I have re-done the stock over the years and blued the barrel but it has stayed much the same as when I first got it.

Accuracy is the same as others - 2-3 MOA at a 100 when I could still see and about double that now at 3/4 of the yardage. At one point this was my standard grab and go, shoot for fun or fur 7 mos of the year, rifle. It rode in the cab or on the wheeler until the last couple of years when it was replaced by a pair of RRA 6.8's. I still shoot it occasionally; no problems with reliability or anything but I have better choices for precision.

It will be passed onto my first born grand child some of these days but unless I run across a real deal on a Mini 30, I don't see me getting another.

Now as for Garands - a fellow can't have too many of those!

There is nothing wrong with a Mini-14. I would rely on it to defend my home and property. They are built around a battle proven action, the M1A.

The only thing I would consider doing would be to install an aftermarket trigger, or perform a trigger job on one yourself.

Other than that ... they are very dependable rifles.

Just before my mini met it's demise due to a cracked bolt, I installed an Amega Ranges scout rail from Brownell's and a Burris Fastfire. That seemed to be the ticket for my aging eyes, and about the most useful system considering the accuracy(?) level of my mini. A low power scout-eye-relief scope would have done well also. I also had a B-Square QD scope mount I used during accuracy testing my handloads (for about 25 yrs.)

I feel compelled to remind everyone considering a mini that, unlike an AR, there are very few critical replacement parts you can buy and/or install yourself. This is what killed mine. Other than that, it was the most fun gun I ever owned even though accuracy was minute-of-man rather than minute-of-angle.

I would love to see spingfield make an M1A version in .223 bet that would be a winner, probably wouldnt do many sales though. I had one a long time ago maybe 1990 shot it twice and traded it for an AR. Could never get it to group well on the first range trip, took it to a prairie dog field and spent 30 rounds to one hit at 200 yards. That was the last straw for me. Now, I heard the newer ones are much better but they are also much more pricey, so I cant bring myself to give it another go.

For a quick go to gun that you don't have to worry about cleaning all of the time, they're great and fun to shoot. AR's are much more accurate, but are also a bigger pain in the ass to clean and maintain. It's like comparing Apples to Oranges, two different animals for sure.

Suitable for anything inside 100-150 yards based on my experience with my 580 ranch. I've never tried quality ammo through it, I figure why waste time? Good ranch/truck type gun. Will go bang every single time, no exceptions (provided good mags are used).

I inherited an older one from my dad. It shoots minute-of-coffee-can at 50 yards after that it's all over the place. Also got stupid and bought a mini 30 a couple years ago. That rifle was a pile of shit. Find a good AK or SKS if you want that caliber.

Newer minis are more accurate. A friend has a target model and it will shoot better than an inch @ 100 however during long shooting sessions the barrel weight comes loose and accuracy suffers.

For the 850+tax he spent on the target mini I could have built him an AR that would be just as accurate if not more so and it wouldn't have a fishing weight screwed on to the barrel...

Yeah as I stated way earlier in this thread, the sorriest POS AR I ever saw would outshoot my older mini14. No comparison whatsoever, plus cheaper and at least YOU CAN BUY A DAMN BOLT FOR AN AR15. Sorry about the rant. I really loved my mini14-it was like a firehose for 55gr FMJ's, but it was pray'n'spray.

Bought one in 1980 new for $172. Still have it. The only one I didn't trade or sell or get stolen. I guess there's something about it. While not a precision rifle, I never expected it to be one. I expected it to shoot as well as it was designed to and it does: At 50 yards, Coyote, armadillo rooting up the food plot, collecting debt in a bad neighborhood...... :)-O

A good smith can make the trigger better but they don't blow worse than a stock AR. Like Garand and M14, bed the action and they will shoot better. Slab the barrel by welding half-inch re-bar to three sides and that'll help too.

I paid 150 for mine in 82 from a pawn shop.

I've read up on some of the tricks to help the accuracy, but just never tried to upgrade it. It did what I was looking for over many years.

Thanks for the tips.

Ted

MY PD had 8 Mini's in service in all variations of the model. Almost never cleaned, abused and rattled around in the cars for 12 years. ALWAYS went bang! Easy to use and disassemble.

That being said we went with AR-15s for their accuracy, adjustable stockes and much better sights, including the ease to mount the red dot sights....

Ive got a 186 series that ive put a lot of time into, its certainly no tack driver by any means... but its a fun rifle. I agree with what most here have said, if you know what to expect you wont be disappointed. Any AR can out shoot it, but they are reliable as the best of them. With a stabilizer and a good stock you can seem to tame the barrel wip of the older minis with pencil barrels. I wouldnt go spending the 1k on a new rifle what so ever, but a used one at a good price is worth picking up in my opinion. at 100 yards ive gotten mine down to 3 inch groups, which is about a 50% increase from where i started at about 6-7" inchers. I tried to post a pic of the little work horse but couldnt figure it out. My 2 cents.