• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mini Stock Pad

Sniper1*

Lieutenant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2006
Rochester, IN
Seems that somewhere I saw a stock pad that would fit the integral cheek piece of a McMillan or even Manners for that matter. It was not a full stock pack as we are all familiar with! It attached in the same manner but the pad only cover the moveable part and the straps went between the cheek piece and stock.

Any familiar with this item?

Or

Any high-speed stitchers out there wanna make some?

I can't be the only guy interested!

Re: Mini Stock Pad

I'm interested for my McMillan stock as well, I don't need a full on stock pack.

Kinda like this?

af92c513.jpg

f72fddfe.jpg

Biggest reason I never went with the adjustable stock was because of the stock pad. Man oh man, that would be just too freakin cool!!

Very nice work!!

DK

That would be great on a hunting rifle or even extend the ride side down just enough to hold 5 rounds and plugs.

Yep! Something exactly like that!

Now, as asked, how much? and where to send $ too?

Nice work!

I am not a SH sponsor, so I'd have to clear it with Frank. I made one for me for now for T&E. I'll send him a PM to see what he says.

I like that a lot and can definately see a market for it. Maybe down the line a 2 piece set, with a round holder for the lower portion and the cheek piece for the upper. Just a thought. Like I said, I am seriously interested in owning one.
Jym

Hey that looks interesting .. keep me updated as to when you have them available.

-Kevin

It would need a rear strap for standard stocks to avoid slipping forward. I would suggest an option to allow the inner portion pad be changed out for a thinker one if required. I forget, but that was an option on one years ago.

That is badass, and just what I'll need for my T4A when it gets here. I was planning on just putting a piece of moleskin on it, but I think this would last longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would need a rear strap for standard stocks to avoid slipping forward. I would suggest an option to allow the inner portion pad be changed out for a thinker one if required. I forget, but that was an option on one years ago.
</div></div>

I did make it.

If you added the things you've listed, I don't know that you would gain anything over a standard stock pack on a regular, non adjustable cheek piece stock. Triad makes a great stock pack with adjustable height via velcro strips on the underside.

It is lined on the bottom with Slip Not Grip fabric, as seen here: http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Other-Heavy-Durable-Fabrics/Slip-Not-Grip-Fabric-Coyote-Brown

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OdellJym</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like that a lot and can definately see a market for it. Maybe down the line a 2 piece set, with a round holder for the lower portion and the cheek piece for the upper. Just a thought. Like I said, I am seriously interested in owning one.
Jym </div></div>

Jym,

That is a great idea as well. Hmmm...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Biggest reason I never went with the adjustable stock was because of the stock pad. Man oh man, that would be just too freakin cool!!

Very nice work!!

DK </div></div>

Thank you.

I'd be interested in one if it would fit an AICS cheek piece... That plastic gets plain slippery with sweat.

I would definitely get one for my whiskey 3 chassis later this year. I can always get one ahead of time
smile.gif

The main problem I see is getting all the measurements of all the different cheek pieces. I would need to get all the circumference, length, width of flat on the bottom (where the velcro resides), and spacing of the columns. Unless I can come up with someway to make it universal.

Or we could just get everyone to convert to Manners. Then it's all one measurement....
wink.gif

How about putting Velcro on the underneath side an on the straps to move them where needed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OdellJym</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or we could just get everyone to convert to Manners. Then it's all one measurement....
wink.gif
</div></div>

Amen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper1*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about putting Velcro on the underneath side an on the straps to move them where needed? </div></div>

I was actually thinking of doing that today. I think the straps on either side of the pillars is going to negate it moving on the cheekpiece. I just need a couple of guys to take a measurement of different brands of stocks like so:

52cab783.jpg

91b479a5.jpg

b0456a0b.jpg

So the measurements I get on my A3-A5 is:

Bottom of the cheekpiece: 1.5"
The "arch" of the cheekpiece: 4.25"
Length of the "flat": 4.5"

Just read this and looks great. As far as the universal model, could you just make the bottom of the piece out of the hook side of the velcro and send a piece of loop side of velcro that would stick to the actual cheek piece with adhesive>?

dont know if it is a viable option or not, just thought I would throw my idea at ya...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just read this and looks great. As far as the universal model, could you just make the bottom of the piece out of the hook side of the velcro and send a piece of loop side of velcro that would stick to the actual cheek piece with adhesive>?

dont know if it is a viable option or not, just thought I would throw my idea at ya... </div></div>

I'm not sure what you mean by adhesive. Please explain.

I measured my Manners T4A. I got 5 1/2in for the flat side, 1 5/8in for the bottom, and 4in for the arch. Hope it helps.

Ray

Thanks Ray.

Here's pics from another McMillan:
image5.jpg

image4.jpg
image3.jpg
image2.jpg
image1.jpg

I'll have a Rock Solid Stock in my hands in a couple hours to compare as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just read this and looks great. As far as the universal model, could you just make the bottom of the piece out of the hook side of the velcro and send a piece of loop side of velcro that would stick to the actual cheek piece with adhesive>?

dont know if it is a viable option or not, just thought I would throw my idea at ya... </div></div>

I'm not sure what you mean by adhesive. Please explain. </div></div>

the loop side of velcro would be attached to the cheek piece via a sticky side. The loop would have adhesive that would stick to the cheek piece of the gun.

like I said, dont know if it is a viable option or not...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just read this and looks great. As far as the universal model, could you just make the bottom of the piece out of the hook side of the velcro and send a piece of loop side of velcro that would stick to the actual cheek piece with adhesive>?

I'm not sure what you mean by adhesive. Please explain. </div></div>

the loop side of velcro would be attached to the cheek piece via a sticky side. The loop would have adhesive that would stick to the cheek piece of the gun.

like I said, dont know if it is a viable option or not... </div></div>

Gotcha. Hook on cheek piece side, loop on the stock pad.

Update:

Prototype 2 didn't work. I thinned it out a bit so that it doesn't push your eye off the centerline of the rifle as much (all stock packs do this to a certain extent). I ran double sided velcro through it in 2 long strips. This made it too stiff.

Prototype 3 was made the same as number 2, except I stitched 2 pieces of double sided velcro on each side (not 2 continuous pieces). I plan on running it through the paces tomorrow at the range. It appears that the holding power of the double sided velcro is pretty stout. Another thought is to use 2 chicago screws to bind the velcro together permanently if needed or wanted.

c7d7b271.jpg

18cbc18c.jpg

I picked up another stock this weekend to test it on as well. I've got to make sure it fits this one because all my stocks are going to be Rock Solid Stocks soon lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An update:

Prototype #3

66320b99.jpg

169e01e1.jpg

fe1167fa.jpg
</div></div>

I like this one alot, genius and simple design.... my Rock Solid needs this.

I have prototype 2 installed currently and Proto 3 looks to be a much more streamlined and universal design.

All in all, quality is excellent, function is excellent, and fit will probably follow suit with the newest design.

As they say, form follows function, and this is turning into a nice addition to my HRT!

+1 for velcro model.

bottom 1.25"

arch 4"

length of flat 5.25"

a little smaller would work, I just want a non slippery cheek weld

Current dimensions are 5.25" long and 4" wide. The Velcro version has straps that you could cut to length.

Last of the prototypes going out.

a4ca4d81.jpg

I used as few layers as possible to as not to push your cheek off the centerline of the stock while still maintaining integrity. For this reason I didn't put another layer in it to conceal the velcro straps on the underside, sandwiching them in the middle. The version with the Velcro is bartacked twice on the underside of the stockpad. What say you? Do you think it is worth the extra layer to make it prettier?

e289e2fe.jpg

Wow, that's killer idea! Nice work son. Are you selling these bad boys yet?

That really looks good. my opinion is function over looks and in this case the underside wont be seen anyway.

I do have a question. is the stitching in the middle of the velcro model on the same side as the cheek weld? and if so is it raised?

really looking forward to owning one of these. thanks for the update.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nlrs308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I do have a question. is the stitching in the middle of the velcro model on the same side as the cheek weld? and if so is it raised?
</div></div>

On the green one pictured above it is all the way through all the layers. It is on the same side as the cheek weld, but is not raised. I've sent out 3 different configurations of prototypes: all the layers of the cheekpiece bonded/glued together, the slip-not grip and cordura bottom layers sewn together (and not the cheek weld side), and this one which is sewn all the way through. Some with velcro, and some with grommet holes and 550 cord for attachment.

I say don't worry about making it look pretty. The design you show in the last picture looks fine to me. The function is more important than the look to me.

+1 velcro +1 slip not grip bottom layer Undecided on sewn all the way around, However if it ressessed stiching, strengthens the unit and stops material separation, and possibly enhance repeatable cheek welds. cant argue with that since the only con may possibly be a little discomfort. field test that bad boy