• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Minimal Brass Cleaning

goinghunting

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Minnesota
Anyone get by doing some form or other of minimal cleaning on their brass?

I stainless tumble but the impatient part of me when time is limited is curious if there is a faster way.

Like not cleaning at all.

My brass always get tumbled in corn cob or walnut before going in any of my dies... after it comes out of the media i also wipe any dust from the exterior of the brass..... fairly quick process and no need to dry like wet tumbling.

Reactions: goinghunting
Meaning, it is doable and the method you choose will probably depend upon your loading volume and other methods.

dry walnut shell tumble or hand wipe each shell. Works fine just not shiny new look each firing. A little polish in the tumble helps.

I use some extra fine steel wool to clean the outside of the neck and a pass with a polymer brush on the inside of the neck. That's it.

So @lash , you've done some of just hand wiping the outside of the case after firing?

This is something I've considered doing, but curious:

A) what do you hand-wipe with?

B) do you do anything inside the neck?

C) do you do anything with primer pockets?

Also I have been FL resizing with bushing dies, no expander ball and plan to continue.

No competition shooting just Hunting and shooting with family and friends behind my house as I have 1 mile to shoot virtually out my front door.

What @ShtrRdy said above:
I use some extra fine steel wool to clean the outside of the neck and a pass with a polymer brush on the inside of the neck. That's it.
I personally like my primer pockets to not get crusty and hand clean them, then tumble in walnut shell if more than 50 pieces. Hand wipe instead, if a small batch of hunting shells. Shiny isn’t as important as is clean.

I do mine when j leave the house running errands. I'll set my automatic timer deal to shut off after a couple hours. By the time I get back, I separate the media and I'm ready to lube and size.

If you get one of those photocell timers for Christmas lights, you can just shut it in the garage when you leave and it jut shut off in like 2 hours. I do it again after I size to get the lube off. And the primer pockets get cleaned at that point as well.

So do guys that might give a wipe with steel wool or such on the neck ever use any kind of cleaning agent on said steel wool? Or just clean wool?

Also do you then use any graphite or dry lube either inside the neck or on base of bullet prior to seating?

I almost never clean my cases unless they get muddy.

I brush out the necks after I anneal( every 4th loading) and maybe tumble every eighth loading.

So do guys that might give a wipe with steel wool or such on the neck ever use any kind of cleaning agent on said steel wool? Or just clean wool?

Also do you then use any graphite or dry lube either inside the neck or on base of bullet prior to seating?
Just the steel wool on the outside of the neck. Then I use a poly brush on the inside of the neck and leave the powder fouling on the inside of the neck as a lube between the bullet and brass. I'm trying some Imperial Dry Neck Lube on the inside of the neck to see if I might like to use that.

Just the steel wool on the outside of the neck. Then I use a poly brush on the inside of the neck and leave the powder fouling on the inside of the neck as a lube between the bullet and brass. I'm trying some Imperial Dry Neck Lube on the inside of the neck to see if I might like to use that.

I've been using the Imperial Dry lube on inside of stainless wet tumbled brass for a while, seems to work but just applying inside neck with a q-tip... It's another step, haven't gotten around to doing a good quality check to see if there is a difference.

I've been using the Imperial Dry lube on inside of stainless wet tumbled brass for a while, seems to work but just applying inside neck with a q-tip... It's another step, haven't gotten around to doing a good quality check to see if there is a difference.
Right, but when you are not SS tumbling anymore, you no longer have the same concern for inconsistent seating force that was caused by the super clean necks.