• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Minimalist apartment reloading bench

Buginout

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Being an apartment dweller at the moment I’m very limited on space. I’m looking for ideas for a suitable reloading bench that I can breakdown and store when not in use. My primary objective is .308. I’m not looking at mass production of thousands of rounds but I would also like the ability to produce 300-500 rounds of 9mm for classes etc. I’ve never reloaded before so I’ve been collecting books and data and will proceed with caution. I’m asking for ideas here because I’m on a limited budget and can’t afford to learn expensive lessons experimenting with different equipment. Thanks for any input you may have to share.

It may be difficult to have a bench that folds up for storage and be ridged/heavy enough to work well. If you have a sturdy coffee or end table that you could clamp a reloading surface to that might work.

Reactions: Ravenworks
If you are just starting do your research and get what you determine to best....don't settle for less just because it's cheaper.....don't listen when others tell you to buy something they are just looking for affirmation of their poor choices.....make sure you get your hearts desire......there are no components anyway so keep saving your money to get the right stuff for you.

I think you will ideally want two tools.

Disregard paragraph one and get what I am telling you to get.

1. A Forster single stage for your .308
2. A Dillon Square Deal B for you 9mm

Look on Craig's list or EBay for one of those 2x2 or 3x3 butcher block stations made from a square block of maple that is like 2x2x2. Put a shelf under it and store the 6000 projectiles of 124 grn 9mm fmj you order from Precision Delta on it. You should be able to fit that heavy bastard in a closet or nook of your choosing. Something's like this......

Use a router to cut two channels in the top of your butcher block. Fit two aluminum T-rails in your butcher block. Don't go all the way across use the backside for cutting bacon........multi task!

Mount your Forster and Square Deal B on aluminum mounting plates.

Slide either the Forster or Square Deal onto your T-rails as your reloading needs require.

Not going to be cheap but cheap doesn't ever work anyway.

Last edited:
Being an apartment dweller at the moment I’m very limited on space. I’m looking for ideas for a suitable reloading bench that I can breakdown and store when not in use. My primary objective is .308. I’m not looking at mass production of thousands of rounds but I would also like the ability to produce 300-500 rounds of 9mm for classes etc. I’ve never reloaded before so I’ve been collecting books and data and will proceed with caution. I’m asking for ideas here because I’m on a limited budget and can’t afford to learn expensive lessons experimenting with different equipment. Thanks for any input you may have to share.
What is your budget?

No point in making recommendations if you cant afford whatever is being recommended.

Reactions: Ravenworks
I have limited space too, and found the combination of the Frankford Arsenal Reloading Stand, and the quick-change system from Inline Fabrication ... gives me all the space optimization and flexibility I need. Mounting the flat base plate to the wooden stand section, and getting the top-plates for presses and other tools ... works great in limited space.

1634389902876.png

at the front of my garage i have a passed down two door cabinet. on top of the cabinet is a wooden DOOR that i have 2 reloading presses mounted too (rock chucker and Forster Coax) my reloading shelf, RCBS trimmer at the other end. one mount for powder dispenser.
powder and primers are stored inside the house. bullets are kept in the garage on separate shelves..

it has served me well for over 10 years since i just have a one car garage in my small place... it is not pretty or exotic by anymeans. but i make ammo that shoots small holes on paper

Last edited:
I mount on my coffee table. It’s solid wood and plenty capable of standing up to the “force”. A few bolts and wingnuts and it’s on and off quick leaving a clean table after. Just throw it in a closet or on a shelf when not in use. You don’t have to dedicate a bench or area solely to a reloading press.

You can also just clamp a board in the counter and mount the press to that. So many ways. Some people you a drill stand which has a small footprint and is mobile.

A standard 4’ faux wood folding table attached to a simple cleat on the wall is what I used when I started. Just make sure it is level and when running the scale don’t attempt other tasks at the same time. Obviously the cleat will need to attach to studs.

My first reloading bench 45 years ago was mounted in a little closet. It worked well for small quantities.

If you plan on assembling 500 rounds of pistol ammo you'll want to be thinking of a progressive press. Or just figure on spending a lot of time with the single stage. It can be done, it's just time consuming.

I set this up a bit of a mess at the moment. Little bigger than I meant it to, but basically I can carry it in and out each room. I made it deep enough so I can mount it to my coffee table or desk via clamps. I also found it works well with the height to sit in a recliner.i meant to have everything on it, but ended up keeping my scale on my computer desk
We actually have more space now so I'll be expanding soon, but will still use this so I can sit at the TV and work.
20211016_235607.jpg

Reactions: spife7980
My first reloading bench in my first apartment in the 1980s was about 3 feet long and 2 feet deep. Made of 1 inch plywood screwed together with pieces of 2 x 4 for bracing. And glued with Elmers white glue. It finally got thrown out in 2014 when I built a new reloading room. It was not the most rugged thing in the world but I loaded a zillion rounds on it.

Check out the thread on “building the perfect Reloading Room.” It’s a sticky. There are some amazing ideas in there from people running reloading benches in closets and alcoves and other tiny spaces. It’s way harder to do a great reloading room in a small space. So the genius there is really apparent.

Cheers Sirhr

Used one of these for a few years. Everything fit in a milk crate that I could also take to the range.

By the way you can get even more minimalist with a Lee Loader in .308. But you will be hammering with a mallet and occasionally may set off a primer when seating.

Last edited:
I bought a used Black and Decker Workmate bench and set it up to reload from. I can take it camping or do it in a hotel room if need be. Works perfect and folds pretty small. It's plenty stable for press work.

Reactions: archangel485
Used one of these for a few years. Everything fit in a milk crate that I could also take to the range.

By the way you can get even more minimalist with a Lee Loader in .308. But you will be hammering with a mallet and occasionally may set off a primer when seating.

I second this suggestion, I used one for the first couple of years I was reloading and loaded thousands of rounds over that time frame. I still have it to this day and still use it as my go to option for making loads when out at the range for on site load development.

Reactions: Davo308
I'd suggest a Dillon 550 for a single press that meets those needs and has the ability to grow with your needs.

I first used a small metal desk. the drawers held all of the components and tools, dies etc. and it did desk duty too.

.....you didn't mention your budget, but you did mention you want to produce a large quantity of 9mm rounds....that infers a progressive press, one that can do both pistol AND rifle rounds.

....a Lee LoadMaster is an economical progressive that can turn out lots of quality ammo in a very short time. You can buy a complete setup in a pistol OR rifle caliber and it basically will have everything included (other than powder, cases, primers & bullets) so you can start loading right away. I would suggest getting one in 9mm and to load .308 just get a separate shell plate, primer feed, turret and dies for .308. To switch calibers all you would need to do is pop out the 9mm turret, small primer feed & shell plate and pop in the .308 turret, large primer feed & shell plate. I'd also suggest getting a separate powder thru die measure for the .308 tool head so you can just pop the auto-drum measure into it.
The Autodrum Powder measure should come with multiple drums, large & small. They also have a kit of 4 drums (2-LG, 2-SM) if you want to dedicate drums to specific powders & charge weights.

The following prices were taken off the Titan Reloading page, a good source that has fair pricing, good inventory and FAST shipping:

Lee LoadMaster Press, 9mm - $289

.....to convert to .308 you will need the following at a minimum:

.308 Die set -$33
.308 shell plate - $23
extra 5-hole tool head - $13 (optional, but highly recommended)
Large Primer feed - $19
Long Charging Die - $12
SubTotal - $100

You would also need a scale, beam or digital, to measure your charge setting on your powder measure, prices vary greatly as does accuracy. You really only need one of the small digital ones to verify what your measure is dropping, just make sure it includes a calibration weight.

So, for approximately $400-$450 you can fulfill your reloading equipment needs in both of the calibers you stated. If your apartment has counter tops that have at least 1-1/2" - 2" overhang, you can bolt the press to a piece of 1" wood sheeting then use C-clamps to clamp the wood to the counter. Works best if you use the corner, can use 3 clamps, 2 in front, 1 on rear side.

There are those that will demean the Lee LM, but it works and works well...I've been using one for over 10 years for .38/.357, 9mm, .40SW, .45ACP, 300BLK, .223/556, .308/7.62, 6.5CM and now 6ARC. I usually suggest this press to new users because if they discover reloading isn't for them after a bit, it's a small monetary expenditure that most can walk away from if necessary, but one can always recoup some of the cost by reselling it.

Titan also carries Dillon products so you can do your price comparisons. Good luck!

Last edited:
As a military man I was guaranteed to have orders every few years to a new place, and we'd either be in government quarters, a home we bought, or rented space -- but sooner or later we'd leave to go somewhere else.

I wasn't going to stop shooting, so the loader would be set up, then later get boxed-up and moved somewhere else. To do that I bought a tool stand like this. The recommendation to replace the top deck with something substantial like butcher-block is spot-on.

sct80200_a_11dec2015.png

You can put up both a 550 and a Forster (side-by-side, or off-set back-to-back on either side of the deck). Sharpie the profile of the press' base on the deck, drill your holes, and bolt that sucker down, tight. You'll have work space to either side of the press to hold bullets or loading blocks on one side and loaded ammo on the other. You can put a powder drop on one end, and scale or trimmer on the other. Store bullets, powder, die boxes, and miscellany on the lower shelf (the more bullets, the heavier the base).

When it's time to move, remove the presses and put them in their original boxes, or Tupperware or Tuff-Box trunks.

Eventually (once you've got your own place) everything can bolt to a permanent loading bench or table and you can retire the tool stand -- or keep it for trips or your hunting lodge.

Last edited:
I bought a used Black and Decker Workmate bench and set it up to reload from. I can take it camping or do it in a hotel room if need be. Works perfect and folds pretty small. It's plenty stable for press work.

^^^^^
This works really well with limited space.
You can also build a seperate top that clamps to the Workmate and remove it when you are done. You then fold up the Workmate and stow it away until needed again.

Exactly what I used as well when I lived in a 900 sq. ft. apartment for a couple years back in the day. I bolted my press to a board and clamped it with the jaws of the work bench, then set my scale and trickler near by, and very carefully went to work.

Back when I lived in an apartment in Boise, I loaded on a 2'×2' printer stand.
A year later I was in a house and had room for a 6' bench.

A small space is doable, it's just not enough when you load for 20 or 30 different cartridges.

Plenty of people use closet space to set up and it can work very well. The bonus is you can close the doors when you're finished.

Summers are miserably hot down here and I ended up bringing a few things inside and have set them up in an old oak TV cabinet.
I load what I want and then close the doors.
Crappy pic, but you get the idea.
20211019_170656.jpg

20211019_170832.jpg

These cabinets are pretty much free on craigslist