• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

minimum 223 brass trim length

elfster1234

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2012
    www.youtube.com
    just picked up a boat load of ranged picked 223 brass brass... most of it was really nice LC brass that i was able to trim to 1.75, BUT about 50 pcs in a different brand was unable to trim and measured out between 1.735 to about 1.745.

do any of you have a minimum brass length you like to use? just wondering.

Re: minimum 223 brass trim length

I use a RCBS X die, and it's instructions say to trim 0.010 less than recommended trim length (1.75"). So, I trim to 1.743" (just so I don't go under 1.740").

If I come across anything less than 1.740, it goes into my plinker box. And anything less than 1.73 goes into the scrap bucket. I have no real reason for doing this, it's just my technique.

i think max trim is 1.760 and should be trimmed .01 less which would be 1.75 trim length. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you should be trimming to 1.75 and not 1.740ish area. Thing is i'm getting readings all the way down to 1.734 and up to 1.745 on this funky range picked batch. I think I'm just going to trash the stuff being it was ranged picked anyway and I could see it lowering my neck tension unless someone else chimes in here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bags533</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a RCBS X die, and it's instructions say to trim 0.010 less than recommended trim length (1.75"). So, I trim to 1.743" (just so I don't go under 1.740").

If I come across anything less than 1.740, it goes into my plinker box. And anything less than 1.73 goes into the scrap bucket. I have no real reason for doing this, it's just my technique. </div></div>

Folks....don't confuse Max Trim Length with Max Overall Case Length! And don't confuse Max Overall Case Length with Overall Cartridge Length! Don't confuse Overall Cartridge Length with Recommended Overall Cartridge Length! Don't get worried when the Overall Cartridge Length varies due to bullet length variance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltgunluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks....don't confuse Max Trim Length with Max Overall Case Length! And don't confuse Max Overall Case Length with Overall Cartridge Length!!! </div></div>

I may be confusing the two, help me clarify.

I pickup range brass.

I punch out the primers.

I throw it in the tumbler.

After I inspect for defects I put each piece on a Lee Zip Trimmer with a .223 case length gage.

Some cases dont touch the trimmer so I assume those are good to go, others are long enough to be trimmed by the trimmer cutter.

I assume that I will always be in spec using this process?

I assume that after 5 - 10 reloadings I will begin to see cracks in the case necks (I am necking up all my 223 brass for a wildcat) or loose pocket primers.

I never measure any neck dimension, should I ? Is this where I am confusing overall length instead of max trim length?

Thx,

BB

back to the question i was asking.... can any give some input on what is the absolute minimum brass length? I usually try not to go under 1.745 if not trimmed, but some of this range picked brass is all the way down to 1.735ish area.

FYI, my trimmer is set up for 1.75

How many pieces of that short brass was federal? That is the only brand I have ever found that had those short case lengths.

I also trim to 1.750", but I would use that short brass for range blasting ammo in 556, or now I just throw them in the mixed brass bucket to convert to 300 blk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">back to the question i was asking.... can any give some input on what is the absolute minimum brass length? I usually try not to go under 1.745 if not trimmed, but some of this range picked brass is all the way down to 1.735ish area.

FYI, my trimmer is set up for 1.75 </div></div>

SAAMI spec on min .223 brass length is 1.740. Max is 1.760. As mentioned above, the X-Die instructions suggest 1.740 for the initial trim and mine tend to stabilize around 1.746 after the initial trim.

nothing will blow up if the brass is short, may lose some consistency but as long as the bullet will seat solid - it is no big deal

you'e right!! most of it was federal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50APIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many pieces of that short brass was federal? That is the only brand I have ever found that had those short case lengths.

I also trim to 1.750", but I would use that short brass for range blasting ammo in 556, or now I just throw them in the mixed brass bucket to convert to 300 blk.
    </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennybone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltgunluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks....don't confuse Max Trim Length with Max Overall Case Length! And don't confuse Max Overall Case Length with Overall Cartridge Length!!! </div></div>

I may be confusing the two, help me clarify.

I pickup range brass.

I punch out the primers.

I throw it in the tumbler.

After I inspect for defects I put each piece on a Lee Zip Trimmer with a .223 case length gage.

Some cases dont touch the trimmer so I assume those are good to go, others are long enough to be trimmed by the trimmer cutter.

I assume that I will always be in spec using this process?

I assume that after 5 - 10 reloadings I will begin to see cracks in the case necks (I am necking up all my 223 brass for a wildcat) or loose pocket primers.

I never measure any neck dimension, should I ? Is this where I am confusing overall length instead of max trim length?

Thx,

BB </div></div>

Hey...its was a loonnnggggg work weekend and I needed a decent laugh at myself. Sounds like you're on the right track. I know other people think that Lee trimmer is crap, but I really like mine for .30-06 and smaller. It's very consistent. I really wouldn't trim any shorter than 1.750. I think that's what my Lee gauge is. I have seen the bullets get a little loose if brass is shorter and using in semi-auto. I think it turns into a neck tension issue. You can get away with shorter if shooting from bolt gun.

I have fired several cases that were trimmed too short. like it was said above you might lose some consistency if you are looking for benchrest groups due to the inconsistent neck tension. If you are just plinking with an AR or you feel that 1MOA groups are acceptable, You aren't going to be in any trouble shooting cases down below the recommended 1.750" trim length. I have shot a few down to 1.710" with tight neck tension was dangerous.

You will have no problem with those 50 pieces.

Thanks for the replies, seems all got their answers.

BB

They will be just fine shoot em and resize them again and they should stretch

Hell i have a buddy who trims his 223 brass .02 under trim to length then just shoots em till they reach max and throws em out

the only issue you can have with a to short neck is an increase in throat errosion in theory

the only issue you can have with a to short neck is an increase in throat errosion in theory

If you crimp, then the case length may be an issue if it's too short, so I would adhere to any SAAMI specs for minimum length. In a bolt gun where a crimp isn't always needed or wanted, such as in benchrest competition or other disciplines where you single feed, then the case length becomes less critical if it falls to or below the minimum SAAMI length. If you feel uncertain, just group those that fall outside the minimum specs into a separate group for sighters or foulers.

Wondering what you all think about this..

I’m going from trim length 1.473 to 1.755 ( 5/1000 shorter than SAMMI 1.76 ) and my reasoning to is capture as much neck length as possible to help launch the extra long 75g ELD ( for TAC division competition purposes)

Do you guys think this is worth trying? Or a wa of time? I was told the ELD is tough to tame because the 223 has very little neck and it’s a long bullet. Some of my cases were really short after looking more closely. 1.735

Shooting an IMPACT action and a SAC Bartlein MRU w 7.5 twist

If you crimp, then the case length may be an issue if it's too short, so I would adhere to any SAAMI specs for minimum length. In a bolt gun where a crimp isn't always needed or wanted, such as in benchrest competition or other disciplines where you single feed, then the case length becomes less critical if it falls to or below the minimum SAAMI length. If you feel uncertain, just group those that fall outside the minimum specs into a separate group for sighters or foulers.
    What is crimp?

What do you mean tought to tame? I've shot thousands and thousands of 75 ELD's out of 10+ 223 Wylde barrels on my TL3's.. accuracy is one hole with both Varget and H4895 in Lapua brass....

I’m going from trim length 1.473 to 1.755 ( 5/1000 shorter than SAMMI 1.76 ) and my reasoning to is capture as much neck length as possible to help launch the extra long 75g ELD ( for TAC division competition purposes)
    Try these if you hope to gain neck length , you may find you never have to trim brass unless you want to uniform it .

1702904123309.png

That’s interesting, ty.

How much clearance do I need? I imagine if Saami say 1.76 I’m goood to go w 5/1000 shorter.

Those devices you pointed out will tell me my measurements but I then need to decide what to do with them right?

Wondering what you all think about this..

Do you guys think this is worth trying? Or a wa of time? I was told the ELD is tough to tame because the 223 has very little neck and it’s a long bullet. Some of my cases were really short after looking more closely. 1.735

Shooting an IMPACT action and a SAC Bartlein MRU w 7.5 twist
    I'd trim to 1.750" unless you're going to run the RCBS X Die. My reasoning is cases don't always grow or resize to the same length. If you have some that are too long for your chamber it's been my experience to see accuracy or pressure issues from that happening.

What do you mean tought to tame? I've shot thousands and thousands of 75 ELD's out of 10+ 223 Wylde barrels on my TL3's.. accuracy is one hole with both Varget and H4895 in Lapua brass....

I , and just about everyone else I’m shooting alongside, seems to struggle getting ragged holes with these bullets. Now keeping mind I’m jumping 30/1000 at mag length so after all my testing , I always find my best OAL is 1.974 so 15/1000 is not an option for me. Marks SAC shop cut this barrel the same as all his PRS TAC shooters. So if we can assume I can’t chase lands. What else can I do to help.

Right now, I’m not in too bad of shape. I’m thrilled with my last test, I had 3/8 moa, at 280 yards. Thank God for that, but will it stay here is my question and if I use longer necks will it help me AT ALL ?

Are you trimming to 1.75 when you say +10?

I’m thrilled w my groups. (Now at least) but I’m trying to help where I can. It sounds like I should just go for 1.75 and call it a day. Thats much better than the 1.735-1.74 I’ve been shooting.

LASTLY, will this mess up my load development if I sneak out to 1.75? That would suck.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-09 14:45:09.470215.jpg

I , and just about everyone else I’m shooting alongside, seems to struggle getting ragged holes with these bullets. Now keeping mind I’m jumping 30/1000 at mag length so after all my testing , I always find my best OAL is 1.974 so 15/1000 is not an option for me. Marks SAC shop cut this barrel the same as all his PRS TAC shooters. So if we can assume I can’t chase lands. What else can I do to help.

Right now, I’m not in too bad of shape. I’m thrilled with my last test, I had 3/8 moa, at 280 yards. Thank God for that, but will it stay here is my question and if I use longer necks will it help me AT ALL ?

Are you trimming to 1.75 when you say +10?

I’m thrilled w my groups. (Now at least) but I’m trying to help where I can. It sounds like I should just go for 1.75 and call it a day. Thats much better than the 1.735-1.74 I’ve been shooting.

LASTLY, will this mess up my load development if I sneak out to 1.75? That would suck.

View attachment 8299542

What chamber? What mags? Whats max COAL you can accept in your mags??

In my TL3 223 Wylde barrels I have zero issues getting to the lands with my AICS and Accurate 223 mags. I believe MDT even makes mags with the same internal COAL as mine...

Do you have a longer throated chamber where these 75 ELD's are out there farther and thats why your out of mag length??