• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Minimum barrel size for suppressor?

Moof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
Celestine Indiana
I have a Anshutz 1517 17 HMR with the "classic" sporter barrel on it and was wondering if it was to small/weak to put a Spectre 22 can on it. I know if I had it cut shorter it would stiffen it up but would rather not do that unless I have to. Any thoughts?

Re: Minimum barrel size for suppressor?

I run a Ruger77 .22 suppressed,if I run my Gemtech Outback it has no poi shift, if I run my AWC Stalker there is a significant poi shift . As the AWC is 3-4 times the weight of the Gemtech. If you are going to continue using the slim profile barrel stay with a lightweight can.

I take it that your 77 has a slimmer profile barrel?I know about poi shifts I may run in just didn't know with havin suck a thin barrel would be acceptable running a can or not. Plus i've also read that turning the barrels of Anshutzs for threads greatly affects their accuracy. Why I don't know unless you really screw it up and mess the crown up.

1517?
1717?

It is true that some thinner profile barrels will be more sensitive to POI shift with heavier cans. But there is, perhaps, an important way to think about the end result.

The best is of course a light weight can with very little POI impact, but small POI impact in the .17 can easily come from <span style="font-style: italic">cans that do a very poor job at suppression.</span> More often than not in the 17 HMR, a can that will truly do a great job at suppression will have some POI shift. The issue is actually, is the POI shift a "<span style="font-weight: bold">constant</span>" a fundamentally repeatable event? If it is, even with a heavier can, then go with the best suppression you can buy.

You are threading this can on, with a high quality, great suppression can, your results should be easily managed.

P.S. No .22 pistol can is going to compete with a dedicated 17 rifle can. That stalker can will easily suppress a .221 fireball.

Good luck.