• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Minimum focus/parallax distance vs minimum usable distance

Rodney65

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2018
I am looking to upgrade the scope on my T1X. I often see used Bushnell DMRII illuminated models for a good price. I like a lot of the features but I am a but concerned about the minimum focus distance.

Most of my .22 target shooting is 100 meters and farther but I do use .22s much closer as well.

The DMRII parallax setting goes down to 75 yards. I noticed on the scopes which I have now if I set the parallax to 75 yards or more if the magnification isn't too high I can still get a relatively sharp reticle/target focus.

Could I expect a scope like the DMRII that only adjusts down to 75 yards to still be usable closer in, perhaps with the magnification turned down, or will I be disappointed?

Clarity is only part of the problem. Parallax is more and more critical the closer in the target is; I missed a close target at a 22 match last week because I left parallax set at 65 yds instead of turning it down to the 45 yards for the target.

If you expect to shoot 22 in close, I would get a scope that can adjust parallax to that distance. 25yds is a reasonable minimum; most ranges don’t put steel closer than that for safety reasons anyway.

Reactions: spife7980
I appreciate the reply. I am looking for a scope that has a lot of adjustment and more than my current 10x magnification but I just can't justify something like another Razor for a .22.

There are some cheap off brands like Endura Falcon Optics that have low minimum parallax but I don't know if I want to go with a "weird" brand like that.

Yeah 75 yards is pretty high for a .22. Most don’t want over 25 yards but some use 50 yards.

What’s your price range for the scope? Power range?

I thought perhaps they wrote 75 yards on the dial but in reality it was closer. Bushnell's website for the now discontinued model said the parallax went down to 50 yards.

I would like something around 3 to 20x, the lower end for varmints the higher end for seeing the tiny subsonic impact splashes at 300 meters. Hoping to keep it well under $1000 and get at least 25 MRAD elevation total, preferably more, and a Christmas tree reticle.

A used DMRII-i was perfect except for the minimum parallax. I was thinking of buying it and putting it on my CTR and moving the 5-25x PST 2 that I have on it to the .22. The PST 2 only has 20 MRAD of elevation so I would probably need to go from a 20 MOA to a 30 MOA rail.

75 is a problem because your zero at 50-55yds is subject to parallax error. You can shoot with the image vingetted, to keep in centered, but this is a pain if done extensively. Not something I would want to do in NRL where the max distance is 100, and tons of targets are in 50m range.

Have you looked at the Vortex Strike Eagle? I think it checks all your boxes, and is well within your budget if you pick one up used off the Hide.

Also has the benefit of a familiar reticle if you’re already used to the PST G2, and I hear the glass is very comparable if not better, due to the larger objective

With a budget less than 1000, you're likely going to end up with a Chinese made scope, though there are philippine made scopes less than 1000.
The primary arms GLX series might be worth a look.
The Athlon Midas Tac is far superior to the Vortex Strike Eagle, it costs a bit more but @gr8fuldoug can help you out

Had seen the Strike Eagle. Didn't know about the Match Pro. I love locking turrets and that reticle looks great. They don't seem to be available in Canada at the monent though.

Reactions: Rob01
Any real pros to the Strike Eagle over the PST 2? I have a PST 2 I could use.

Any real pros to the Strike Eagle over the PST 2? I have a PST 2 I could use.

Hoping to keep it well under $1000 and get at least 25 MRAD elevation total, preferably more, and a Christmas tree reticle.

A used DMRII-i was perfect except for the minimum parallax. I was thinking of buying it and putting it on my CTR and moving the 5-25x PST 2 that I have on it to the .22. The PST 2 only has 20 MRAD of elevation so I would probably need to go from a 20 MOA to a 30 MOA rail.
The SE has 32 MRAD of elevation, addressing your primary complaint about the PST G2. It also has the tree reticle you stated wanting, and focuses down to 15 yards versus the 25 yards of the PST G2.

Not to say the PST G2 wouldn't cover your bases, I think it probably would. If you were shooting ELR 22, you might need the extra elevation, but my PST G2 on a 20 MOA rail gets me comfortably to 200 yards and I'm too cheap to buy ammo that's worth shooting much past that anyway. SK Std+ does fine for me on a 6" plate out there; not perfect, but it's also not the cause of most of my misses, so I'll stick with it for now.

Thanks for the reply. With a 30 MOA rail the PST 2 should get me to 330 yards with CCI Standards which is as far as the Canadian Rimfire Precision Series goes out to. That's how far my PST 2.5-10x gets me now with just over 16 MRAD of elevation available on a 20 MOA rail.

The only reason the PST 2 would be appealing is I already have one. When I was looking at comparisons between the two online there seemed to be a consensus that the PST 2 was much better but comparing specs it didn't seem that way.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
Thanks for the reply. With a 30 MOA rail the PST 2 should get me to 330 yards with CCI Standards which is as far as the Canadian Rimfire Precision Series goes out to. That's how far my PST 2.5-10x gets me now with just over 16 MRAD of elevation available on a 20 MOA rail.

The only reason the PST 2 would be appealing is I already have one. When I was looking at comparisons between the two online there seemed to be a consensus that the PST 2 was much better but comparing specs it didn't seem that way.
Yeah I've heard some say the SE is equivalent or better from an optical experience standpoint; I haven't ever been behind an SE so I couldn't say, but I don't think you'll be upset with either.

PSTg2 is a Decent optic. Alot of guys run this in centrefire PRS as a starter optic. Centrefires only need like 10 mils to 1K yds tho. SE is brighter, 56 objectiv, and generally better suited for 22LRs by design choices/layout of the optic (as discussed above). IMHO if you already have a good copy PSTg2 and you are OK with dealing with its limits, just use it. If annoys you off after a year...pick up a SE with a cert of deal from PX or hide vendor.

As for the glass quality, I think the SE are better than you would expect. PST g2 may be better in some kinds of testing, dunno. I may have also looked at "good copies" of the SE, two of them were on Vudoos and one in a cabellas. There could definitely be some survivorship bias. Either vudoo guys or cabelas showroom model are maybe the result of returning a couple lemons previously, etc...you never know.

Last edited:
Brownells' MPO?

Made in Japan by JOL and...
- 35 yard min. parallax for the 5-25
- 25 yard min. parallax for the 3-18

$800 on sale now, plus coupon code MARCH125 for $125 off; $675 before shipping & tax.

Brownells' MPO?

Made in Japan by JOL and...
- 35 yard min. parallax for the 5-25
- 25 yard min. parallax for the 3-18

$800 on sale now, plus coupon code MARCH125 for $125 off; $675 before shipping & tax.

This or a SWFA 3-15 for $490 at current sale price. Also not a Chinese or Phillipino piece of shit like pretty much everything else in your price range. SWFA parallaxes down to 6 yards and you can get zero stop shims for like $10.