• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Minimum OAL

Coldreunion

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
South Central PA
First off, I would just like to hi, and to thank everyone for taking the time to create such a great site with more knowledge than I could ever imagine.
I've just begun reloading in the past year, and since the few reloading manuals I have differ, I'd like to get some concrete insight into the issue of minimum OAL. I'm starting to reload for my .270 Winchester, and this is the first cartridge that I'm going to use a bullet with a cannelure. Now, I've heard from some of my reloading buddies that loading to the cannelure is just fine. But isn't a cannelure just for keeping the jacket secured to the core? I know it helps if you plan on crimping the round, but not as a be-all/end-all seating depth point. My Lee manual says that COL is 3.180" and one I test seated was to 3.175" at the middle of the cannelure, so I was just wondering if the .005" will make the pressures THAT high that it would be unsafe.
Also, this load is for my Stevens 200 cheapo hunting rig, that shoots remarkably well with the 130gr Core-lokt factory ammo, and all I'm trying to do is make a clone load for it. So far I'm at 43.5g of IMR-4064, CCI 200 LR primers, Rem. brass and I'm using Hornady 130g SP Interlocks for the pill. Haven't shot any of them so far, so I don't have any pressure signs to go from, but I don't want to load a box then have to pull the pills cause I screwed up.
Sorry for the short novel on my first post, but I wanted to try to be as clear as possible. Thanks alot.

Re: Minimum OAL

Pressure will be relative to the powder charge as well as overall length in so far as your proximity to the lands. The short answer is that the manuals you use to work up your loads will list various OALs for various loads in each calibre. For example, in the Hodgdon manual (2009) there are loads for the 110 gr HDY SP at 3.250", 100 gr Barnes X at 3.260", 120 gr Barnes XFB at 3.270" and for the Sierra 135 gr BT a whopping 3.340"!!!!

If OAL is a pressing concern, an OAL guage is essential to know how far you can safely go. Looks (at 43.5 grains) like your following the manual conservatively at that load and should be fine for starters. With an upper limit being 47.5 grains of IMR 4064,you have a good margin yet.

Re: Minimum OAL

Cool. Thanks for the info. I kinda figured that it would still be safe, but I just wanted to get another opinion. Guess I'll just have to see if the Stevens likes that much of a jump. Thanks again!