• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Minimum Quality Ammo for Autolader?

anon

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I've never really done anything with a 22lr autoloader where ammo inconsistency was a problem until trying a couple of Steel Challenge matches. I'd rather my time was spent shooting than clearing drills.

What 22lr ammo should work in autoloaders, no short strokes or duds? Trying to feed a couple of 10/22's and MKII's. I have a bunch of Federal Black Box that has a lot of lower powered rounds giving short strokes and jams, Federal Blue Box with a bunch of duds.

Going to try some Eley Club and CCI Mini-Mag that I have.

Just trying to figure out where the threshold is for reliable ammo. Thanks.

You'll just have to try. Eley or SK are where I would start. Last time I bought a case of Eley target for my 597 it was $50/brick. Shoots 1 hole at 50', but not 50 yards like the $120 black box match.

Federal/CCI, Winchester, and Remington make garbage for the most part.

CCI-MM might be less accurate than you want. CCI-SV is a more accurate load and should still cycle your semi. The MKII (Savage?) will appreciate it.

Reactions: JKW70
For steel challenge, CCI SV shoots well enough in my MK IV and 10/22 that I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Eley will not feed in my Kidd barrel on my 10/22

Thanks for the suggestions.

The inconsistencies are function, not accuracy, the plates are pretty big to a rifle shooter.

The MKII reference is to both a Ruger Mark II and a Mark II version of the 22/45. I tried some of the ammo in a P322 also with similar results. The best so far has been CCI-MiniMag solids, 40gr.

I was hoping for something I can buy at the local Academy.

For my 10/22's I always seem to have the best luck with CCI Mini Mag. They may not be the most accurate- but not bad. They do cycle the action reliably for me.

Reactions: Westcoast308
I'm not going to point fingers, but "accuracy" isn't really a big deal in the "steel challenge" (race gun) games. Mini Mags are very popular among the top shooters around here, guys/girls/kids that place very high at national level events. Some folks are fond of Eley Force also. We use 40 grain Blazers in all of our race guns, can't remember a malfunction on the clock...important to show up at matches with clean guns, if you show up with them dirty you deserve to practice malfunctions.

Reactions: LR1845
I'm not going to point fingers, but "accuracy" isn't really a big deal in the "steel challenge" (race gun) games. Mini Mags are very popular among the top shooters around here, guys/girls/kids that place very high at national level events. Some folks are fond of Eley Force also. We use 40 grain Blazers in all of our race guns, can't remember a malfunction on the clock...important to show up at matches with clean guns, if you show up with them dirty you deserve to practice malfunctions.

I surprisingly haven't had any failures with Blazer.

I still shoot SK pistol match special in my Mark IV target for matches. Only bought the blazer because my kid thinks a semi-auto is just a challenge to empty the mag as fast as possible.

CCI SV in my 10/22's, you can always play with springs and charge handle weights to fine tune it. Four of them that shoot CCI SV without issues. I'll probably bring one to my next rimfire match. Under 200 it shoots as well as my Bergara.

CCI Mini Mags will fine for Steel Challenge. Not shooting tiny 10-Rings.
i shoot steel challenge pretty regularly and accuracy is just about an afterthought.
my-best reliability ( absolutely no need for expensive European ammo for this purpose) is CCI mini mag, CCI AR tactical. Next best is Mexican aguila. I do waste my time with anything else American made from other brands. Federal Remington and Winchester quality abysmal

Reactions: Westcoast308
I've never really done anything with a 22lr autoloader where ammo inconsistency was a problem until trying a couple of Steel Challenge matches. I'd rather my time was spent shooting than clearing drills.

What 22lr ammo should work in autoloaders, no short strokes or duds? Trying to feed a couple of 10/22's and MKII's. I have a bunch of Federal Black Box that has a lot of lower powered rounds giving short strokes and jams, Federal Blue Box with a bunch of duds.

Going to try some Eley Club and CCI Mini-Mag that I have.

Just trying to figure out where the threshold is for reliable ammo. Thanks.
Augila super extra works really well for me, CCI mini-mags, CCI AR are a great go to and if you’re spending a bit more Eley Force cycle’s really well. After Randy at CPC tuned up my 10/22 it’s been perfectly reliable with everything before it would hang up here and there on about anything. He hand fits his extractor to your bolt which I think helps a bunch. Bruno’s shooting supply has a great prices on Eley right now. Also take apart clean and polish the feed lips on your magazines. If anything it’s harder for the gunk to stick to a polished surface.
Cheers

I don’t use blazer much,however with my semi’s CCI SV and Fed.Automatch answer all my needs from target to squirrels,and with such ammo they are totally reliable.I have Marlins,JC Higgins 30 series,( High Standard)other older ones,and a Rem.597,I shy away from Rugers and their clones,everyone has one,they do work ,sort of , but nothing special about them,(JM )Marlins were the best most reliable semis ever made and accurate also,I prefer clip feed though most of mine are tube feed,harder to lose the mag with tube feed!