• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Minitab software for load dev.

Jon Lester

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2004
Tazewell . Virginia
Any one ever use Minitab stastical software and there DOE package for load developement. Seems that you could dun a Doe and get to the sweet spot much quicker. Also has packages for several X factors and results would not have to be linear.

Re: Minitab software for load dev.

Jon,

I have not played with Minitab very much - I took a stat class last spring but most of the coursework was done via TI84 calculators (very practical for actual use in the modern world - not!) and my (used) copy of the text didn't have its limited student copy of Minitab. I have downloaded it and played with it some - but at $1100 for a single-user license its just way too much $$$ for me.

A stat program/language that I *am* working with is 'R' (www.r-project.org) - an open source derivative of Bell Labs 'S' statistical programming language and environment. Not quite as 'point-n-click' as Minitab (although there is an add-on 'R-Cmdr' that simplifies a lot of the basics) but it is priced right and very expandable if a person is so inclined.

I have been meaning to re-run some of the tests that I did in my final paper for that stat class (case volume vs. case weight vs. muzzle velocity) in R just for some familiarization, and I have several experiments in mind for doing exploratory data analysis in a multiple linear regression format. Should be interesting - something to keep me awake in the wee hours of the morning at the power plant
wink.gif

Monte

The company that I work for has sent me through the Motorola 6 sigma black belt class,so they installed the software on my comp at no cost to me.
I think the "design of experiment" package will point out the best load charge wt./Oal with a lot fewer ladder tests.I dont think that it will be linear but the software will design the runs anyway.I am almost sure that the data will be normal and not require transformation.
While reviewing this in class all I could think of was load dev.

Jon,

If your comfort level is with Minitab, I'd sure be interested in seeing whatever results you come up with! If you get bored
smile.gif
and want to try R to see if similar results can be achieved - which would then be accessible to others who don't have company-paid-for software - I'd be very, very interested in that as well! Sounds like your stat knowledge/education is a bit further along than mine - I'm trying to learn some of this stuff on my own as I go - in my 'free' time
wink.gif

Another site for R that might be of interest: www.statmethods.net

Monte