• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Minor and union dues Az

Jgunner

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 29, 2019
    Arizona
    So my kid works at a grocery store in Arizona and got roped into signing up for the union. In case you are not aware its a right to work state and union dues are not required to work there.

A manager talked her into it while she was on shift, she is under 18 and had no idea what she signed up for. They charge $48 a month for dues, $576 a year! She only works part time and that is a huge chunk of change for her.

I read where you can only cancel once a year and its a small window??? This shit doesn't sound right to me. Any help is appreciated.

What do they offer for the 48 dollars per month?

A little looking around says TX made it so minors needed parental consent to join a labor union or at least tried for those under 18.

In my union all you need to do was write a letter stating you no longer wish to be a member and they take you out.

Reactions: BCP
    Well, what does she get for $48 ?
    She is very lucky to be working a union grocery store job. If she goes no where else in her life she builds a pension and has medical coverage.
    What is her hourly wage ?
    I would not jump ship so quickly. Let her make the final decision. She has to live with it, not you.

images

Back around the end of 2001 I took a job with America West Airlines as a baggage handler at the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport. The person training us was giving us a tour of the airport and was introducing us to the people we would be working with. I remember a group of us trainees, while standing in the baggage handlers break room, being approached by two big bozos and being told in a very intimidating way by bozo # 1 that "this is a union shop and you WILL be joining the union" while bozo #2 was standing next to him giving us all dirty looks. I don't remember the dues cost but I do remember it being pretty steep for the shitty hourly wage they were paying.

Not sure what would have happened if I didn't join since I left that shit job for another job about 2 weeks later.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jgunner
    She is very lucky to be working a union grocery store job. If she goes no where else in her life she builds a pension and has medical coverage.
    I would not jump ship so quickly. Let her make the final decision. She has to live with it, not you.
    Nothing.

She makes a little over minimum, but its a standard pay across her field.
    No medical, she is part time.
    She does not want to be in it.

The lady who approached her was a manager and made it seem like it was requiered. It is not. Not even close.

Union is basically worthless here in Az, my buddy works for a union shop and he said they do nothing at all. I am sure thats not exactly true, but they do take 48 per month from you.....

From what i read, it only allows you to opt out a couple days a year, like it is some sort of binding contract. Only way out if to leave the job. Maybe she can quit and get rehired with the union's bullshit.

The union is required to notify people of their rights. If they failed to notify her of the requirements of membership, she should be able to use that to get what she wants.

There is a second path for her called her “Beck’s Rights” where she can effectively opt out of the political side of union representation at a reduced dues rate. In other words, she doesn’t pay to support union leadership and their politics. It is also a requirement that the union notify her of those rights and failure to do so can lead to some outcome that hurts the union. While that is the rule/law, I’ve never seen it enforced. The best thing is she lets the mouth breathers at the union know she either is allowed to opt out or she will claim her beck’s rights. They struggle executing anything, especially administrative requirements. The chances they just turn their heads and move on is pretty high.

You think they will pay anything resembling a decent pension?

Do you think a 16 year old part time worker is getting medical insurance?

Do you think he's going to let his daughter end up working a grocery store for her life?

Unions are dying. People are seeing through the bullshit and keep watching their partially funded pensions die and are left with nothing.

They need to die. Once they established labor rights and OSHA they made themselves useless.

You think they will pay anything resembling a decent pension?

Do you think a 16 year old part time worker is getting medical insurance?

Do you think he's going to let his daughter end up working a grocery store for her life?

Unions are dying. People are seeing through the bullshit and keep watching their partially funded pensions die and are left with nothing.

They need to die. Once they established labor rights and OSHA they made themselves useless.
    There are always a lot of unknown's, everywhere. Look at all the retirees that had to go back to work at 65 years old. Even a small pension + Social Security + Union health care would allow them to stay retired and not have to go back to work at that age.

Medical insurance - There are many people working a crappy job strictly because they get medical insurance. After all, look at the government workers, for one.

At 16 years old, Dad is losing control over his daughter. He should be thankful she has the drive to get off her ass and get a job. A blessing in itself. We were all 16 at one time and had to learn the pit falls of the world. Best learn them while she is young.

A "partially" (85% - 90%) funded pension beats no pension at all. My years of working non-union and running my own business don't pay my house note. On the other hand the first of every month a Pension check is deposited in my account that I roll over to pay my house note. It is a wash... but a very secure wash.

Remember, the US Government is the largest employer in America and most of those people draw a pension... Best not keep all your eggs in one basket.

Reactions: oneshot86
    Is it Fry’s/Kroger? My brother in law worked there in Phoenix starting at 16 and still does (now moved back east but still Kroger) 20 years later. Not sure what their union actually does except they had a strike a few years ago for wages and my brother in law was told he couldn’t work (he is high functioning autistic), so he didn’t go to work and ended up getting behind financially because of lost wages. Turns out he could have worked but the union told him otherwise and the rest is history.

Unions are a lot like political parties Great for the ruling class, not so much for the little people.

My FiL was in the union when he worked at Armor, in his words they sold him out. Gone was all that stuff they said they are going to do for you, health, retirement, in exchange for a flat check of $25k. He went to work for a candy water company (soft drinks) the union came up to him and he told them to go fuck themselves. KS is also a right to work state, they fucked with him (somewhat good natured) for 25 years till he retired from the candy water place.

IMHO there is a reason unions have the rep they do, run by "crooks". Because it is. So much of it is total bullshit. I will give you one personal story.

I worked at the candy water company across town (the stories I could tell you about the candy water business.) One truck driver ended up doing one of the office girls in the empty box of a vending machine. All on camera, perfect angle. Both get fired. Union gets the truck driver his job back, office gal, no union gone. Sure sounds fair to me.

Every once and a while I will agree with what the union (in the press) says it wants, A/C in UPS trucks, that sounds fair and reasonable in this day and age, but when you go looking to see what else they want, pure gravy.

Extortion is it, no different then in 1919, just different people taking advantage of the "workers", oddly enough they will suck the dick of the union guys screwing them over.

Sorry got on a rant, if she is indeed a minor, whatever that age is in your state to legally sign papers then you might talk to a lawyer, give that fucking union a taste of their own medicine.