• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Minority Report on the way.

GRIM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Wisconsin
It was only a matter of time... frankly I've always thought this stuff has been in place for many years already.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article201702.ece

Technology identifies troubled individuals
By Lou Michel

NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Published:
September 26, 2010, 12:00 AM

Font Size:
-2-1Standard+1+2E-mailSharePrintFacebookTwitterGoogleRedditDeliciousStumble UponDiggFarkMySpaceUpdated: September 26, 2010, 6:36 AM

Imagine using the same technology to locate a lone bomber before he carries out his terrorist act and to identify a troubled veteran or first responder ground down by tragedies and violence.

Stop imagining.

Some 120 local first responders from law enforcement and other agencies, the military and mental health professionals gathered Friday to hear firsthand about an advanced computer program that can accomplish those two seemingly different tasks.

The presentation was part of the International First Responder-Military Symposium held at Hilbert College in the Town of Hamburg.

A Swiss professor working with a Massachusetts Institute of Technology scientist who heads the Mind Machine Project there outlined how this program operates through computerized scanning of phone calls and electronic messages sent through e-mail and social networking mechanisms.

“Suppose you know there’s a threat to the president when he is visiting, say, Texas. Through information obtained by the National Security Agency, we have the tools to go through huge quantities of data obtained from that area,” said professor Mathieu Guidere of the University of Geneva.

How? “The computer system detects resentment in conversations through measurements in decibels and other voice biometrics,” he said. “It detects obsessiveness with the individual going back to the same topic over and over, measuring crescendos.”

As for written transmissions scrutinized by the computer program, it can detect the same patterns of fixation on specified subjects, said Guidere, who has worked for years screening mass data that involves radicalization and ideological indoctrination.

Using character traits that have been identified through psychological profiles conducted on lone bombers following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Guidere said he and his colleagues developed programs that isolate signs pointing to a potential terrorist.

He said lone bombers, in particular, are not mentally deranged but harbor hatred and deep resentment toward government. Their emotional spikes, Guidere explained, can be identified by the computer program.

The practical side is that once the individual has been identified, the information can be passed along to authorities so surveillance can begin, he said.

Currently, the computer program can review 10,000 voice or other electronic transmissions in an hour. The goal, the professor said, is to increase the capacity to 100,000 per hour.

On the civilian side, the program can be used by psychologists and other mental health providers working with war veterans, law enforcement officials and others to measure their progress in recovery.

“By recording the voice of the patient, the program can rate negativity and positivity with depression and other emotional disorders,” said Guidere, who is working with Dr. Newton Howard, director of MIT’s Mind Machine Project.

Re: Minority Report on the way.

Why are they always picking on Texas?

Perhaps I should go to Equilibrium and get my dose of Prozium adjusted...

Hey man they are getting a law passed to watch everything we do over the net and listen to use on our phones. They want a backdoor for all of this just in case they need it for something. I guess everyones choosing Safety as the new Rally Cry. Can everyone see it 50yrs from now no one will know this quote: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Ben Franklin.

I bet they will just change the history books to read it like this: "Those who would give up Essential Safety to purchase a little Temporary Freedom, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"- Ben Franklin.

Then the progressive agenda will be complete. America is walking the fence gentlemen, which side will she fall on?

If you think that is new news you've got another thing coming.

NSA has had that ability for many many years.

We had that ability in communications even in the 60's. I worked on technology that was designed to do just that, hence my first MOS of "Intercept systems repairman".......

IF you watch the movie "Enemy of the state" in all it's paranoia, it's not too far off from the truth.

I guess you are aware that right now, in Europe, the EU is implementing a directive/law demanding all its membership (EU/EEC) countries to store all electronically transferred data, be it www,phone,whatever, for a minimum of 6 months.
If you didnt know you are hereby notified.
This is not a result of living in a cave wearing a tinfoil hat...

John - out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think that is new news you've got another thing coming.

NSA has had that ability for many many years. </div></div>

Like I said before:
"frankly I've always thought this stuff has been in place for many years already."

One thing is that these super-secret-ninja-squirrel 2 and 3-letter organizations both sides of the pond have had the ability to do these things for years, at least it`s something they`ve had to do under the table...
The fact that they make it a requirement by law and actually legalize use of the collected data an mass is a wholde different ballgame imho.
Supposedly it`s to keep tabs on a few diaperclad goatherds...
I will step off the soapbox and go and fold me a new tinfoil hat...

John - out