• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Minox MD80ZR Spotting Scope?

Im seriously considering one, but was hoping to see some reviews or comparisons. It must be either really new or unpopular, because i cant find a single review anywhere.

For that price i'd be expecting glass comparable to Meopta and Optolyth.

Just going by the brand name doesn't seem to help, as i see the Minox logo on both hundred dollar scopes and multi thousand dollar scopes.

Anyone know anything about these. I can't find any reviews, nor much info at all about them?

Seems like a good option, though the reticle is a little busy for my tastes.

Minox MD80z with reticle:

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/minox-2...RoCEikQAvD_BwE

Ken,...when I last visited MINOX they explained they are still not 100% finished on the design. There are teething issues with the reticule lens placement as it must be exact. For this reason and until they are satisfied on QC, the release date has slipped. The ret is probably the best forecast in any spotter. Hopefully there will be more news very soon. The initial factory samples had been outstanding.

I am patiently waiting on this spotter to be released. It seems promising.

They replied that they should deliver the first lots by the end of November 2017

I'll keep Minox in mind for the future. For now, I ordered an Optolyth.

I recently had the opportunity to try a bunch of spotting scopes side by side, looking at a resolution chart and various signs, text, etc. Same place, same charts, signs, distances on different days and lighting conditions.

It seems that in the removable eyepiece scopes, every single time I switch in a fixed magnification eyepiece the image gets sharper, clearer and brighter.

I sold my Bushnell t series on Ebay to help fund my optolyth purchase. The Bushnell t series was about on par with the older variable eyepiece Bushnell Spacemasters, but once I swapped in a fixed eyepiece, the spacemasters had an advantage.

Friends Kowa TSN-4 with a fixed eyepiece hands down smoked my T series. It wasn't even close, text on a 1500 yd 4ft sign was clear and easy to read with the tsn4, and unreadable my t series with the scopes side by side.

So far, every time I've used a compact FLP type spotter, it seemed good untill I compare it side by side to an equal-ish dollar value removable eyepiece standard type spotter. That's when I could see what I'm giving up for compactness.

I've decided to get an optolyth TBG80, with s fixed 30x reticle eyepiece and a 20-60 variable eyepiece for versatility.

While this Minox may end up having great glass, it looks like I'll have no way to know for awhile. I don't want to put in an order, wait forever and end up dissspointed.

Last edited: