• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Minox ZP5 3-15x 50 Mildot reticle,any one use as hunting scope?

kujuak

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
Looking at good price for one of these. Any one with have experience using one on a hunting rifle (not a chasis rifle)? Hunting style: spot and stalk and from hide. All in mountainous terrain. I use quad and quadriceps to get around. In my 70's ,so no heroics in the bush. would put on a 300WM or 6.5 Creedmore rifle.

Thanks!

If it’s a good price I say go for it. I use a similar but slightly smaller scope (TT315M) with mil dot reticle on my hunting rifle. I’ll fully admit that I am a mil dot junkie, but with my hunting results the last couple of seasons I’ll probably never switch reticles for hunting. That Minox is pretty damn sweet too.

Reactions: kujuak
OP, are you asking if the mil-dot reticle itself is sufficient or the ZP5 3-15 scope?

@jwknutson17 uses one on his hunting rig, I believe it is the MR2 reticle. I’ve seen this scope and it is remarkable optically and mechanically, in fact, it was part of my alpha class ultra short review I did last year as a baseline.

I had a Premier LT 3-15 (older sister of the TT315M) with mil-dot and really liked it even though I prefer hash marks vs dots. Very easy to use at low magnification was its biggest benefit.

The MR2 and MR5 are both excellent also. I use the gen2 mil dot in the TT315p on my 6.5prc hunting rifle and zp5 mr2 on a 300 prc hunting rifle. No issues on 3x. I will be taking the 6.5 for another elk (cow this time) here in a few weeks. Don't feel like its lacking whatsoever.

OP, are you asking if the mil-dot reticle itself is sufficient or the ZP5 3-15 scope?

@jwknutson17 uses one on his hunting rig, I believe it is the MR2 reticle. I’ve seen this scope and it is remarkable optically and mechanically, in fact, it was part of my alpha class ultra short review I did last year as a baseline.

I had a Premier LT 3-15 (older sister of the TT315M) with mil-dot and really liked it even though I prefer hash marks vs dots. Very easy to use at low magnification was its biggest benefit.
Yes I was in part asking about the reticle comparisons. Scope will be a hunting rifle. I can envision no use of the range finding components of the MR2. Thanks.

Yes I was in part asking about the reticle comparisons. Scope will be a hunting rifle. I can envision no use of the range finding components of the MR2. Thanks.
Minox doesn't even offer the MR2 anymore which is a shame as I think it was a fantastic crossover reticle with the .2 mil wind ticks. Ranging marks just go unnoticed like with P4LF. Not sure how much this helps but these were from my Premier LT with mil-dot reticle

3-15_Scopes_0004.jpg

3-15_Scopes_0005.jpg

I am looking at two used scopes, hence the reticle questions. The above photos are helpful. My impression is that the Mildot may be slightly more practical for a hunting scope. In a hunting situation , I would always use a range finder for long shots to give respect to the game animal. The "tactical" applications are not a factor for me. Too old for such fantasies or realities.:D The thick portions of the crosshairs would work like a peep sight for quick aiming a fluid hunting situation, no?

At 3x the mildot section ends up looking like a fine duplex which many find to be beneficial at low mags. It really comes down to personal preference and if you feel the mildot is going to help more in this area then that is what you should pursue.

Here is the MR2 at last shooting light on 3x with illumination on with the center in a dark pocket. Phone picked up more light in the picture as it was most likely too dark to shoot in that photo but you can clearly see the vertical and horizontal dark lines that center your eye to the center. You really don't need illumination on these scopes for hunting, but in the last minute as shown in the photo it's plenty good. The gen 2 mil dot in the TT is just about the same.

I know you mentioned you don't need some of the features. To be honest I don't use many of them either. Just showing what the reticle is like in the last shooting light and the gen2 mil dot will be about the same in this scenario.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007-174501_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007-174501_Gallery.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited: