• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Minox ZP5 3-15x50, how does it compare to other optics

gszeto99

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
Illinois, USA
How does the Minox ZP5 3-15x50 compare to other scopes like the Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42, Razor HD Gen 2 3-18x50, Steiner M5XI 3-15x50, Leupold Mk5 3-18x50, or Kahles K318I?

I have all of these scopes so I would like to know how the Minox compares in size, weight, optical clarity, resolution, Chromatic Aberation (if any), turret click feel, warranty, customer service, etc to these scopes?

I am thinking about getting one but want to know what you guys think (personal experience) before I decide on getting one or not.

Thanks

Gene

I prefer them to all of the optics you mention but I do not have a 3-18 Kahles. I have owned the rest on your list. The NF I would choose third-forth to the Minox. I would follow the Minox with the S&B 3-20 US or 5-20us.

CA is non existent on the Minox to my eyes. Turrets are excellent. Some will chime in about hard second rev. Personally that feature doesn't bother me. And I'm almost never in the second rev on these 3-15 scopes anyway. The brightness of the Minox is like looking through Swaro EL binos compared to others (other then the TT). I notice a difference. The MR2 and MR5 reticles work well for this scope and no complaints. The NF is also excellent in the same price range but FOV really lacks compared. Just not the low light performance of the Minox either that I see. I also had the 3-15 TT 315P and that's the only one that out performed the Minox glass wise. I had the m5xi for about a year on a gas gun and while it was a good optic. More CA then I would have liked. I also had the USO B17 and I put this in the NF catagory as far as glass went. The turrets were ok but the whole package just wasn't for me. I didn't care for the weight of the Razor and that was sold pretty quickly. But they are great optics especially for what they go for now. I had 2 of the Mk5s and the CA was atrocious to my eyes. The only reticle I would pick on that scope is the illuminated TMR. I had two with the CCH and had to sell them both. Useless on 8-10 power or less. At least for me on hunting guns. The size and weight are fantastic though. I would rather have the mk6 over the 5. The mk6 I had was a h58 reticle and worked well for a gas gun. Had it on a hunting gun for a short time too. The Bushnell LRHSi is a good contender if on a budget for a hunting gun.

Of course this is all my opinion owning these scopes.

If you in CO and want to try a couple out, let me know. I currently have a 3-20 US and also 5-20 US you can compare a couple of my 3-15 minoxs to... Edit.. and a ZCO from CST coming next week.

As far as warranty, Minox and Kahles are going to be the slowest out of the bunch but take care of you. NF, S&B, Vortex, Leupold, Bushnell are a step above in turnaround. Everything I've sent back over the years with all of the companies above did make it right and I had working scopes. Just the time it takes some vs others is a deal breaker for some.

Last edited:
Wow, what an awesome in depth review. Thank you for the scope trial invite however I do not live in CO. :cry:

Anyone else has an oppinion on the Minox ZP5 3-15-x50 compared to the rest?

I have not looked through the 3-15 specifically, but I have looked through and shot another Minox. The glass was super clean, and, as said above, amazingly bright. I remember calling the glass very “crisp.” If that makes sense. I liked it quite a bit.
I think Minox is often overlooked in this market due to NF, Kahles, S&B being such monsters in the optical world. I’ve never heard a Minox owner complain.

I'll also
Wow, what an awesome in depth review. Thank you for the scope trial invite however I do not live in CO. :cry:

The main complaint with Minox with folks here on the hide is inconsistencies between optics. You will see some guys with failures. Some guys with warranty claims that took forever. (Going over seas) etc. But that's not the normal with any optic manufacturer.

I'll take a video for you on a couple of the 3-15 turrets if you like. Shoot me a PM.

As far as eyebox, clarity, CA, and parallax, it would be at the top of your list. I really like the turrets. Some don't. I think they are firm and solid with no slop. The size and weight are fine. 31 oz I believe. FOV is great. Super clear and bright. The illumination isn't as good as some, but still usable. The MR5 reticle lights up much more of the rericle so it looks brighter then the MR2 reticle that only illuminates the center. Still plenty useful in low light.

I would also recommend the S&B 3-20US. The FOV is excellent like the Minox. Glass is excellent also. And many reticle choices. Just the street price is about 1000 bucks more then the Minox. I have the 14 mil per rev double turn MTC turrets and while they are good. They are not my favorite. The illumination on this scope is probably 50% brighter then the Minox.

Here is a pic of one, on one of my high country (hike a lot, light weight) 300 short mags. This is just a factory Browning x bolt, but it still hammers 10 inch plate at 1k yards.

Attachments

• IMG_20190612_145717.jpg
    IMG_20190612_145717.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Disclaimer, these are not the exact magnification as the ones you seek but the same line.

No experience with the 3-15 but my old ZP5 5-25 is the closest thing to a Tangent Theta I have looked through. It still remains the only optic I regret selling. Extremely forgiving parallax, great eye box, MR4 is about perfect, I grew to like the turrets but some don’t. The turrets are definitely something that is an acquired taste. I initially didn’t like them, but the more I used them the more I grew to like them.

ZCO is a completely different experience and animal. Again I have not looked through the 4-20 but only the 5-27. The resolution/clarity is comparable to TT. I think the contrast is better in the ZCO. The ZCO image is massive. The TT image is noticeable smaller maybe 75-80% of the ZCO. For locking turrets they are excellent. I still prefer the Tangent Theta.

I found the K318 noticeably subpar to the K525. At that price point optically the K525 does not stack up well against the competition IMHO. I sold my K525 for a ZP5 and did not regret it.

ZCO and Minox ZP5 are the only optics I would consider against a Tangent Theta. For the price point of Minox I do not think you can go wrong especially if you buy from a SnipersHide reputable dealer like @CSTactical

Owned one with the MR5 reticle. Nothing about it I could complain about, and I can't really think of anything to add to it that hasn't already been stated. In short though its a updated and slightly improved PM2 by a company that won't be going out of business anytime soon.

I used to have a couple of the 3-15x Minox ZP5's and next to the ATACR's, have been one of my favorite optics. I have even had conversations with others on here about my thoughts on them because for the most part, my opinion has been highly favorable about the product.

Compared to the MK5, ATACR, M5XI, and Gen2 Razor. I felt like the glass on the Minox was much better than the rest. I never had problems detecting CA, it was great in lowlight and just preformed beautifully. Eyebox felt close to the same as the razor and M5xi. slightly better than the ATACR and much better than the MK5.

I did have a large variation between turret feel and function between all my Minox's. Personally, while largely noticeable, wasn't a deal breaker. My last one felt fantastic though. Illumination is just so so on the Minox. As others have stated, the parallax adjustment is super forgiving. Very, very easy to tune out parallax.

Unfortunately for myself, all good things came to an end in my last dealings with Minox with a new scope that had a number of problems. Previously, I had fairly decent CS experiences with Minox. The last time's however with my warranty scope were a circus. My scope also took from December to mid April to get repaired and returned back to me, far from the 6-8 weeks I was originally quoted, twice. When it arrived, I sold my last remaining Minox's and replaced them with more ATACR's.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
Disclaimer, these are not the exact magnification as the ones you seek but the same line.

No experience with the 3-15 but my old ZP5 5-25 is the closest thing to a Tangent Theta I have looked through. It still remains the only optic I regret selling. Extremely forgiving parallax, great eye box, MR4 is about perfect, I grew to like the turrets but some don’t. The turrets are definitely something that is an acquired taste. I initially didn’t like them, but the more I used them the more I grew to like them.

ZCO is a completely different experience and animal. Again I have not looked through the 4-20 but only the 5-27. The resolution/clarity is comparable to TT. I think the contrast is better in the ZCO. The ZCO image is massive. The TT image is noticeable smaller maybe 75-80% of the ZCO. For locking turrets they are excellent. I still prefer the Tangent Theta.

I found the K318 noticeably subpar to the K525. At that price point optically the K525 does not stack up well against the competition IMHO. I sold my K525 for a ZP5 and did not regret it.

ZCO and Minox ZP5 are the only optics I would consider against a Tangent Theta. For the price point of Minox I do not think you can go wrong especially if you buy from a SnipersHide reputable dealer like @CSTactical

I had the ZP5, K525i, ATACR, SB, USO etc and looked through several TTs as well as my newly acquired ZCO..

It comes down to this... get the reticle you love.

I had the ZP5, K525i, ATACR, SB, USO etc and looked through several TTs as well as my newly acquired ZCO..

It comes down to this... get the reticle you love.

Once you get to this level of optics, you are correct. See what features you may like the best, along with reticle selection and go forward. They are all amazing scopes. We just nit pick stuff at this level.

Last edited:

That is an excellent review, as always. I fondled the ATACR 4-16x42 and Vortex AMG yesterday...wish I could get my hands on the 3-15 ZP5. At this tier, they are each excellent, but different enough that individual preference rules the day. Of course you need to be able to handle them all to decide which you prefer... and even then it’s still tough.

Any more thoughts on the Minox? Specifically ergonomics and finish. I prefer the fit/finish and turrets of the NF to the AMG; but the overall package of the AMG (including weight & +mag) has it in the lead.

That is an excellent review, as always. I fondled the ATACR 4-16x42 and Vortex AMG yesterday...wish I could get my hands on the 3-15 ZP5. At this tier, they are each excellent, but different enough that individual preference rules the day. Of course you need to be able to handle them all to decide which you prefer... and even then it’s still tough.

Any more thoughts on the Minox? Specifically ergonomics and finish. I prefer the fit/finish and turrets of the NF to the AMG; but the overall package of the AMG (including weight & +mag) has it in the lead.

Are you in CO? If so shoot me a PM and you can get behind one of mine.