• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Minox ZP5 5-25x56 MR4 - Initial Impressions - "Pleasantly Satisfied"

blbennett1288

Rivet
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 24, 2017
    Hoover, Alabama
    I have been pleasantly satisfied with the ZP5, it comes from a heritage (no pun intended) of excellence and does not miss the target.

Reticle - the MR4 is about perfect. I like how the 0.2mil doesn’t have a hash. It makes the center less obstructed. I wish the 0.4 and 0.6mil had different hash heights, much like the SKMR, so 0.5mils is easier to pick out. This is a small gripe, but it would make the MR4 quicker IMHO.

Eyebox – The eyebox is easy to get behind in any position and is one of the best I have used. Every time I get behind the scope I am reminded of how good the eyebox is.

Diopter – Diopter is stiff with a locking ring. Set it and forget it.

Magnification Ring - Very smooth. There is a small tail that removes the need for a throw lever IMO. The numbers are not raised so unless you break cheek-weld you can’t see what mag you are on. Not a big deal, as I just count the hashes at the bottom of the reticle to tell what mag I am on now.

Elevation - I zeroed on a 20moa base and I have in access of 20mils of elevation up travel left. Spec sheet says 28mils, which is limited by the turrets. The scope has roughly 34mils of elevation travel in total. Elevation turret is 15mils per rev.

Turrets - The knurling on these is very aggressive and takes some getting used to. I would also call them “low profile.” The clicks are very definitive and audible. There is no over-travel or back-travel. Although they are stiff, and require a good amount of force to turn, they are easy to use once accustom to them. The spacing is sufficient enough to tell exactly what tenth mil you are on. I do wish they staggered the heights, much like a tape measure, for easier use. I do think the turrets would be easier to operate if the turret was a little taller.

ZP5 Turrets.jpg

Second Revolution Indicator - Two little boxes below the elevation turret turn white before you get into the second rev. I have a second gen model and the turrets are exactly how @CSTactical YouTube video shows them.

Minox ZP5 Gen2 second rev indicator

Windage & Turret - +/- 6mils. Turret feel is the same as the elevation turret.

Parallax - Phenomenal, more or less parallax free past 300 yards. The turret has no distance markings and is easy to turn. This initially concerned me but is more a highlight now that I have used it a bit. I had planned on taking a white paint pen and just putting digits, in 100’s of yards, for the setting, but I no longer think this is necessary. Inside 300yards it does need to be adjusted appropriately but besides that I would say there is really only 2 settings, mid and long range.

ZP5 turrets 2.jpg

Illumination - don’t plan on using it but takes a CR2032 that can be opened with lose change or screw driver. Illumination has on and off in between each of the 11 brightness settings. It is daylight bright but not as bright as some others out there.

Glass - I am constantly amazed at the IQ (resolution/contrast/clarity) of this glass. There is no superficial hue or tint to the glass. It is very difficult to explain my sentiments on the glass other than it wows me every time. I am truly impressed with what Minox has done.

Form Factor - it is long, god is it long, at 16.3”. From the turrets rearward to the eyebox seems like it’ll never end. The turrets are lower profile and sleek. The magnification only has the small tail that protrudes. There is not much to get hung up on. Weight is acceptable for this type of optic at 34oz.

Fit/Finish - The fit of the machining is excellent. There is no wiggle or play in any of the fittings. The finish isn’t as good as some out there, but acceptable.

Warranty - The warranty concerned me at first, but after reading that Blaser USA is handling the warranty claims out of Texas and that the lead times have been cut down considerably, I am no longer concerned about this aspect. The warranty is in line with other optics at this price point.
    http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/resources/minox-total-coverage-warranty-for-zp-scopes.13/

Summary - The design shows its lineage and doesn’t push the envelope forward but is a refined traditional scope that executes it flawlessly. My minor gripes or complaints are mostly preference oriented and does not affect the usage of the scope in any manner. In summary the glass is exceptionally good, MR4 is just about perfect, and both the eyebox and parallax are forgiving.

Minox ZP5 1.jpg

Minox ZP5 2.jpg

Last edited:
    Wow, that's a well-done write-up! Very informative.

Can you comment on its close-range parallax performance? Specs say 50 yards, can you get closer than that on 5x?

Long shot question: can you comment on cold-weather performance?

Can you comment on its close-range parallax performance? Specs say 50 yards, can you get closer than that on 5x?

Thank you

At 50-55yards I am able to get a good picture through the entire magnification range. I do not know about inside 50 yards. I dryfire at a fence 56 yards away on 12 and 15 magnification without issue.

Coldest conditions it has been in is mid 40’s to low 50’s and raining. No difference in performance.

Reactions: plidenbrock

I've had my 3-15x ZP5 in high 10's - low 20's and it was fine.

@blbennett1288 nice write up too.

nice review. Good comments on the turrets as "aggressive" and the MR4.

Question: you write "pleasantly" almost like you were "pleasantly surprised" ... did you go into the purchase with low expectations or was there something else that had you doubting the product?

nice review. Good comments on the turrets as "aggressive" and the MR4.

Question: you write "pleasantly" almost like you were "pleasantly surprised" ... did you go into the purchase with low expectations or was there something else that had you doubting the product?

I did not have low expectations for the ZP5. Prior to the ZP5 I had a K525. I switched to the ZP5 to get the MR4 reticle as for me it is about perfect. I heard the glass in the ZP5 was excellent and wanted to see for myself. I expected everything else to be more or less a wash between the Minox and Kahles.

I was pleasantly surprised because the glass, parallax, and eyebox are just that good.

Used one last weekend in 20-25 degrees.
    Did what I asked of it out to 1200 in local match.
    Not extreme cold but cool enough.

R

What height rings did you go with ? I’m thinking about the same rings / scope for my MPA.

Also, how easy is it to zero / re-zero ?

Reactions: Terp00
    What height rings did you go with ? I’m thinking about the same rings / scope for my MPA.

Can't speak for the rings but the re-zero is super easy. Both the windage and elevation knobs are held on with two set screws, loosen them, set your zero and your zero stop is automatically 0.7 MIL below. Very simple and easy to do in the field.

Not sure who you are addressing but Seekins 34mm/.92 height work well for me on a sendero barrel taper/defiance deviant 20moa rail.

R

Last edited:
    @blbennett1288 - Awesome review. So... if you had to do it over, would you still trade the K525 for the ZP5? Those are the two scopes I narrowed it down to for my PRS gun and I've only looked through Khales... not the Minox. Thanks again for your review!

Aaaargghh.... If I wasn't upgrading to 3 Phase woodworking machines, I would love to jump on a Minox w/ the MR4... I have "toomanytool" disease.

After having and shooting a while with my zp5 5-25 with mr4 reticle (thanks cs tactical) I do have a couple of minor complaints.

First, and this isn't a knock on the minox, but more of a complaint about an overall trend. I don't like having 15 mils per revolution. I would rather have 10-12 mils with more spacing between clicks, and more spacing between markings on the elevation turret. With 2nd rev indicators and zero stops, "only" having 10 mils per turn is not a big deal at all, and i would prefer it. With that being said, the turrets on the minox do feel very nice and solid with very clear tactile and audible clicks.

Second, the illumination knob is terrible. It moves way too easily and I can barely feel the detent between on/off settings. I almost never use illumination, so it isn't a deal breaker for me, but on a scope this expensive I expect every feature to be top notch. I have accidentally turned illumination on before, and I feel like that shouldn't happen.

Overall though, I am very impressed with the scope. The glass is absolutely amazing, the eye box is easy to get behind at any magnification, and the parallax is very forgiving and easy to set. Sometimes I forget to even check it because it seems like the target is always in focus. The mr4 reticle is also very nice and clean and easy to use. I would recommend the scope to anyone, but I would like to see a new kahles side by side sometime to compare, as that was the other scope I was considering.

I compared my Minox to a Kahles 525 and a Razor Gen2 this weekend and the Minox won in my eyes. At night, the Minox made the targets look like they were illuminated with a spotlight. Incredibly clear glass and with an almost equal asking price, I'm very happy with my decision. Maybe @Diver160651 can chime in here since we compared it against his Kahles 525.

I compared my Minox to a Kahles 525 and a Razor Gen2 this weekend and the Minox won in my eyes. At night, the Minox made the targets look like they were illuminated with a spotlight. Incredibly clear glass and with an almost equal asking price, I'm very happy with my decision. Maybe @Diver160651 can chime in here since we compared it against his Kahles 525.

Ok, so the big guy from Texas is going to make me eat my words :) Obviously, if he says too much, he'll look like he is only saying it because thats his 3k scope.. so I'll chatter it up.

I have said after shooting both the Kahles, S&B, Razor and Minox all in the 5-25 class, that all the glass is great. I've gone on to say, the difference in glass, is not high on my list for why I might choose one over the other. Comparing them all on a bright day they seem so close. I was even telling Lonestar before the match, that I thought my Minox was the best glass, but only by the smallest of margin at max power. I went on to say that really if your looking at the shape of bullet holes at 100 or reading text the Minox is better than the Kahles, but in the end, I was sticking to my guns that the difference just was not that great.

Fast forward to the 22NRL match under a few range lights. I had a Vortex 5-25 gen 2 on my Vudoo and in the daylight this scope also looks great. Under the dark of night, with less than perfect range lights, everyone had a hard time seeing targets at 100 yards, especially in the shadows. They announce the winner and we start horsing around. Personally, I was in a good mood, my gear was assume.. soooo I thought.

Lonestar comes out show us something, it might have been his CKYE bipod. I am not sure.. But the darn guy puts his centerfire on the line and looks thru his Minox then says "Man, It looks like someone just fired up a spotlight". LOL, I look thru it and suddenly realize my Vortex is dark as, well the night. I walk back to my car and grab my centerfire with the Kahels 525, yep, it is noticeably better than my Vortex; but the Minox now blows both my scopes away. More guys grab their centerfires... That damn Minox was in a class by itself.. Now everyone but Lonestar, was a bit less happy with their gear...

It really did look like someone was running extra lamps on the range. I'm eating my words, the glass is in another class.

Jim

Last edited:
    I was searching for my perfect scope for about two years and this definitely checked all of the boxes. Your review is spot on

Thanks, my experience has been the same as I have had a revolving door of scopes on my match gun for about the past year trying to find something that satisfies my liking.

I had an itch to try the new MIL-XT in an ATACR when they are available, but I got behind an ATACR recently and changed my mind. I would LOVE to get into a Tangent Theta but I can't justify the cost, additionally I like the MR-4 more than GEN3 XR. The GEN3 XR through the scope pics look better than the spec sheet, but I am still hesitant.

First, and this isn't a knock on the minox, but more of a complaint about an overall trend. I don't like having 15 mils per revolution. I would rather have 10-12 mils with more spacing between clicks, and more spacing between markings on the elevation turret.

Yeah, 10-12mils with intuitive staggered height of the hashes, like a tape measure, would be great. While you would have to turn further to get to the same mil value, I suspect it would be quicker to dial than with the 15 mil turrets. I find myself slowing down the last 0.2-0.3mils to make sure I dont go past the value I want.

It really did look like someone was running extra lamps on the range. I'm eating my words, the glass is in another class.

Jim

During this time in South Alabama the weather is shitty; lots of overcast, dark, and rainy days. I have used the ZP5 in these conditions numerous times and it is always amazed me at its capabilities in lower light conditions.

Reactions: Forrest84
    What a great review, I badly want a razor gen 2, but after reading this and several other reviews I wonder if I should just keep saving and go for the minox Congrats on a awesome review and shooting setup!

Thank you Sir! We have Minox ZP5 MR4's in stock and ready to ship! Call 916-670-1103 for hide pricing :)
    I just got back from my honeymoon in Los Angeles.
    We drove right by your shop, I wanted to stop and check all the scopes out in person but we were driving back thru sac on a Sunday :(

I'm in Southern Oregon, next time I take a road trip I will Def time it to swing thru and check out your shop and hopefully have a pocket full of cash for a new optic :p(y)

Reactions: CSTactical
    I just got back from my honeymoon in Los Angeles.
    We drove right by your shop, I wanted to stop and check all the scopes out in person but we were driving back thru sac on a Sunday :(

I'm in Southern Oregon, next time I take a road trip I will Def time it to swing thru and check out your shop and hopefully have a pocket full of cash for a new optic :p(y)

We will be here!!!

Yeah, 10-12mils with intuitive staggered height of the hashes, like a tape measure, would be great. While you would have to turn further to get to the same mil value, I suspect it would be quicker to dial than with the 15 mil turrets. I find myself slowing down the last 0.2-0.3mils to make sure I dont go past the value I

During this time in South Alabama the weather is shitty; lots of overcast, dark, and rainy days. I have used the ZP5 in these conditions numerous times and it is always amazed me at its capabilities in lower light conditions.

I went from Kahles to minox myself and have the same opinions, I think the kahles turrets are perfect but the minox still takes the win overall for me now.

Shit? Just when I decided to move forward with an ATACR 7-35 TMR. Getting older and clarity is a big deal down the road......

Shit? Just when I decided to move forward with an ATACR 7-35 TMR. Getting older and clarity is a big deal down the road......

I would think you'd be very happy with the 7-35, you can also read @hk dave review of a bunch of the top end scopes including the Minox, Tangent Theta and Nightforce - https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-schmidt-bender-5-25-v-vortex-4-5-27.6828806/

The Minox ZP5 glass is something to behold, it is the best I've ever looked through (have not had a Tangent Theta for price and reticle - but they just released the Gen3 XR so now I can't complain about their reticles anymore, :D), not only that the MR4 is my favorite reticle at this time, for those who don't like Christmas tree's I encourage you to check it out, it is the most unobtrusive tree reticle I've found to date.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
    I just picked up a ZP5 with MR4 reticle from CS Tactical a few weeks ago. In the past I’ve had just about every scope available (NF Atacr, S&B, Vortex Razor gen 2, Kahles 624i gen 3, Premier, March, etc). To my eyes, the Minox and TT are virtually equal in the glass department. Both are extremely bright and clear. Both maybe slightly better than S&B. Turrets are great on the Minox. Very crisp clicks. I really like the feel of the turrets, mag ring, and parallax knob. Parallax is very forgiving, just like the TT. The MR4 reticle is just about perfect if you want a floating dot with Christmas tree and .2 wind holds.

Overall it’s just a fantastic scope, especially for the price.

I just picked up a ZP5 with MR4 reticle from CS Tactical a few weeks ago. In the past I’ve had just about every scope available (NF Atacr, S&B, Vortex Razor gen 2, Kahles 624i gen 3, Premier, March, etc). To my eyes, the Minox and TT are virtually equal in the glass department. Both are extremely bright and clear. Both maybe slightly better than S&B. Turrets are great on the Minox. Very crisp clicks. I really like the feel of the turrets, mag ring, and parallax knob. Parallax is very forgiving, just like the TT. The MR4 reticle is just about perfect if you want a floating dot with Christmas tree and .2 wind holds.

Overall it’s just a fantastic scope, especially for the price.

I absolutely agree with you :)

This place has good value on MR4 but it's not domestic and it is 2-4 weeks out. Not sure if anyone on here has any experience with them. https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/minox-zp5-5-25x56-rifle-scope.html
    I ordered one from them. They are nice people to work with. However, it was a little unfortunate that USPS has lost my package (tracking stopped when the package was inside US). I am currently helping them file a claim with USPS, and they promised to send out another one in mid-Jan. I will come back if I get any updates.
    Also, I don't know why but the European market seems to offer better prices on ZP5 scope than in US.

Last edited:
    I ordered one from them. They are nice people to work with. However, it was a little unfortunate that USPS has lost my package (tracking stopped when the package was inside US). I am currently helping them file a claim with USPS, and they promised to send out another one in mid-Jan. I will come back if I get any updates.
    Also, I don't know why but the European market seems to offer better prices on ZP5 scope than in US.

Have you ever successfully ordered something from them before?

Have you ever successfully ordered something from them before?
    not yet. but I will come back with updates. PS, they ran out of ZP5 MR4 as well for now. They are ordering more from Minox. These guys also have a channel on youtube reviewing optics, along with some other evidence, they seem legit to me. but again, I will come back with news.

not yet. but I will come back with updates. PS, they ran out of ZP5 MR4 as well for now. They are ordering more from Minox. These guys also have a channel on youtube reviewing optics, along with some other evidence, they seem legit to me. but again, I will come back with news.

YouTube = legit

:unsure:o_O:LOL::censored:

It might be hung up in customs, I have ordered from them before, but most of the time by the time you deal with shipping and customs the difference between a deal from a Hide dealer and purchasing from overseas is kind of a wash. Are you working with Teodor or someone else at optics-trade? The item that got hung up at customs for me was a scope and I actually got a call from UPS and had to pay (customs fees) directly to them, I don't think USPS requires a phone number so you may be getting something in the mail which will take longer. Unfortunately I don't think the tracking indicates a customs stop but I can't remember.