• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Minox ZP8 1-8x24 or March 1-8x24??

pazzo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2008
Wondering if anyone can help...

I’ve narrowed down my search today to a March 1-8x24 (FMC-3 illuminated reticle) or a Minox ZP8 1-8x24 (MR10+ reticle). I am familiar with the differences on paper between both these scopes, but can’t decide which is the better of the two in actuality. It’s for a shorty 308 lightweight bolt gun. It’ll be used for hunting, but also quite a bit of steel out to say 400 or 500m.
The price for both is similar so that isn’t a factor. I’d prefer the March 30mm tube for size and weight savings but I’m not sure how it compares overall to the Minox, which, being an older optic, has many more reviews.

Anybody have any advice?

*I am referring to the regular March 1-8 (D8V24FIML), not the ”Shorty” 1-8.

Last edited:
Both are very good and the choice ultimately depends on what you want to do with it.

For a tactical application, ZP8 is a better scope, primarily because of the very bright red dot on 1x. On a boltgun, however, that may not be critical. At distance, while both work quite well, the side focus of the March 1-8x24 gives it a little bit of an edge. Optically, ZP8 has a little better contrast, while March has a little better resolution.

ZP8 is set up to be parallax free at 200 meters, I think, so if you want to be shooting much further than that, side focus on the March is very useful.

FOV is wider on the Minox, but I suppose that is the tradeoff with weight.

Keep in mind that March has two 1-8x24 FFP designs: the original with side-focus and the SHorty without side focus. For boltgun, I would be leaning toward the one with sidefocus.

If you do go with March, make sure you get one with the 6 position illumination module. I like it a lot more than the earlier 4-position ones.

Basically, for the most part, it comes down to how important a bright dot on 1x is to you. If it is not hugely critical, March's side focus gives it more flexibility, but ultimately both are very good scopes.

ILya

Reactions: pazzo
Thanks a lot for that comparison Ilya. The March is what I was leaning towards and after reading this I’m convinced it’s the best option for my needs.