• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mirage at 1 mile

dksd39

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2006
Hollywood, FL/ Kentucky
The last several trips to the range keithtb1 and I have been focusing on 1 mile. Today the mirage was kicking. Just one of many hot days to come. Still better than a day at work
smile.gif
I'm not the best at thru scope pics but this gives a good idea.

Here is a close pic of the target to give you an idea of what it actually looks like

IMG_0172.jpg

here is a pic thru the scope

mirage.jpg

and a short video

Re: Mirage at 1 mile

What power is the scope set to? Turn it down and the mirage effects will lessen, trade off between mirage & mag.

Humidity is a bitch, was lucky enough to spend a few days shooting a mile with a buddy in Vegas. Hotter than Houston, but 7% humidity was nice.

Come shoot with us out west - it's dry
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What power is the scope set to? </div></div>

the scope was on 10 power...I zoomed the camera a bit to get the best picture I could. Actually we have seen far worse. Last week we had a day that was so bad we could not make out the mound at all. Hell, it was even hard to make out our steel at 1k

I've noticed Mirage is always worse when LOS is low to and parallel with the ground.

Not near as bad up on a hill, or across a canyon with plenty of room between ground and LOS.

Mirage is one of the reasons I'm happy with reasonably good glass, and more interested in overall functionality (erector travel, repeatability, etc)

Wow - it was dancing around. I find that I have to dial back down to 14-16 power to see the mile target we shoot at. It's also up on the side of a hill so it's not anywhere near as bad as what you had to deal with.

Cool video - thanks.

I try to shoot LR early in the AM. Or later towards dusk....less waves, less wind. At least here anyway.

Nice target setup!