• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mirage, where is it actually reading at?

Victory

Pagan Raider
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2005
Making bad guys nervous
Maybe I am thinking to in depth about this, but last night while I was rolling around in my bed, trying to not think about how to improve my shooting and actually go to sleep, I was pondering this question.

If I focus on lets say a 600m target and then dial back to read the mirage, where is it actually reading. Would it be at the actual target or say 550m or something like that?

Also when reading mirage, is what you see a culmination of all of the wind to that point or is is a specific area or amount? IE: is what I read an indication of the wind all the way to the target or is it an indication of lets say 100m in front of the target?

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
Adnrew

Re: Mirage, where is it actually reading at?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told to pick something between the half way point of the target and focus ur spotter on that object and then look back up at the target. I'm assuming this would tell what the wind reads for 300 yards if you were shooting at 600.

That's the thing I don't want to assume, I want to know.

And yes you can focus on a spot midway from your position and the target then look back at your target. At this point you might not have the best view of the mirage and still have to adjust.

That is why I look at the target and then dial back until I have the best view of the mirage. I only am adjusting once that way.

So where are the high speed optics guys that can answer my question?

Thanks for replying rem.

IMHO,

If you have the time to read the mirage (most of us do....) you should be dialing from the target back to minimum focus. In this effort you "may" be able to pick up bits and pieces that a fixed point of mirage will not tell you.

On most flat ranges the wind only comes from ONE direction. Add trees buildings berms and such and the wind will swirl and drop. I can specificly recal a time at Camp Pery where I observed 8 wind flags, 6 of them were not flying in the same direction.

Mirage is a finiky lady and should be handled as such. If you can see it you are less than ~10mph, rule #1.

Cheers,

Doc

Hey doc,
So if I am interpreting what you said correctly, the mirage is not a culmination of all of the wind up to where you are reading it. Is that right?

I also like the idea of slowly viewing until you get to zero focus. I have not put a lot of time into really trying to read the mirage due to being in oklahoma where the wind rarely gets below 15mph. I usually watch the grass, trees, and anything else that I could use as an indicator.

So, if I am looking at the 600m target and dial back until my mirage is in focus is there a way to figure out where it is reading? I am assuming not but still want a definite answer

Almost,

Think of the range you are shooting across as a river.

The target is, well ...... a target.

Focus on the target and see which way the mirage is running. Dial the focus so that you are focusing back across the "river" to your position. It alows you to see the "waves" and "currents" across the whole field.

If there is a wind break in the trees / berms /brush etc you may see the mirage running the "other" way.

Take all the various mirages you see and try to average them out. It takes practice but you can do the same thing across a grassy field if the wind is up. You can also find if there is something wierd going on out there.

Hope that cleared things up a bit.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Almost,

Think of the range you are shooting across as a river.

The target is, well ...... a target.

Focus on the target and see which way the mirage is running. Dial the focus so that you are focusing back across the "river" to your position. It alows you to see the "waves" and "currents" across the whole field.

If there is a wind break in the trees / berms /brush etc you may see the mirage running the "other" way.

Doc </div></div>

What an excellent analogy!
Thanks DOC!

Doc as usual you have great information. Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions. You are one of the reasons that I love this place. Amazing people always willing to help another guy out.

Thanks,
Andrew

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO,

Mirage is a finiky lady and should be handled as such. If you can see it you are less than ~10mph, rule #1.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

I'd go out on a limb and say that isn't true. I've seen mirage at 10, 15 and over 20 mph winds. Now the shit was sideways much over 15 so you're not garnering much info from it other than direction, but it is visible......so for the new shooter looking for it...it's there, don't be confused.

I live where the wind is rarely under 10 mph except at night.

I have seen mirage at all wind speeds, up to 40 mph, when the sun is out.

As noted, though, once it gets over about 15 mph, you're not getting much information except the direction - but it's most assuredly there.