• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mismatched barrel and gas block sizes?

txfireguy2003

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
I'm building up a large frame AR in 6.5CM, but trying to keep the weight as low as possible, since these guns tend to be heavy as sin anyway. With weight in mind, I looked at a couple carbon fiber barrels from Christianson Arms and Proof Research. I'm leaning towards the CA because it's considerably cheaper, by about 40%, but there's an issue. The portion where the gas block fits over the barrel is 0.002" larger than standard gas block ID's. It comes with a block, but I want to be able to tune it to run my loads, with my can, and be as smooth as possible, so I want an adjustable block. I've never had this issue before, the only similar interference I've ever run across was from Ceracoated parts, and I don't think that was two thousandths off. Do you think a clamp on block can accommodate the extra .002"?
My other option, which really isn't an option, it's paying close to a grand for just the Proof barrel. While I'm sure it's an excellent tube.... I'm not willing to drop that much on this project for just the barrel when I can finish it out for that much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Brake cylinder hone.
Good idea. I actually contacted the block manufacturer and he said that his block will fit as it's actually oversized a bit as per industry standard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I've generally found the AR platform to be relatively tolerant to slight mismatches.
I bet it will run okay, and would go ahead and try it as long as it doesn't void any warranties or returns.