• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Misplaced ATF Trust - What Now?

KillShot

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
In the process of moving, either I or my wife misplaced my ATF trust from when I purchased my TBAC. What do I need to do in order to obtain another copy? I've contacted my FFL but haven't yet heard back from him so is there anything else I need to do?

Call your lawyer who put it together in the first place. He can come up with a copy I suspect.

Cheers,

Conrad

Using an attorney for a NFA trust is stupid when you can get one from your dealer or online for free/way less money...said no one ever, once an issue arises...

contact your ffl via phone. Was your trust drafted on the computer, I suspect that it was. Your FFL should have a PDF of your trust that he could just email you...

I keep the original paper Trust in my safe and there's also a PDF copy on my home computer and work computer, plus my iPhone and iPad.

I wonder what the chances are that you could request a copy from the ATF at worst-case scenario.

I spoke with my FFL and he doesn't have a copy. He said my only resort is to contact the ATF and request a copy of it. Something tells me, doing so is gonna go over about as well as finding a turd in the punch bowl. :(

Just have a new one drawn up with the same name. All you did was amend the original trust.

I am not a lawyer

I'm not sure why it really matters anyway. Really the only thing of import is the stamped form 4.
Not trying to sound flippant, but chill out, drink beer - it will turn up when you are unpacking one day.

Using an attorney for a NFA trust is stupid when you can get one from your dealer or online for free/way less money...said no one ever, once an issue arises...

Not true. If there's ever a problem w the trust the atty will back it up. There's more to a trust than the paper its on.

I'm not one to toss bucks, but the money spent on a lawyer now,is significantly less than what it costs for a lawyer to settle a problem later....

Just sayin

Not true. If there's ever a problem w the trust the atty will back it up. There's more to a trust than the paper its on.

I'm not one to toss bucks, but the money spent on a lawyer now,is significantly less than what it costs for a lawyer to settle a problem later....

Just sayin

I'm going to assume you missed the sarcasm here....

I spoke with my FFL and he doesn't have a copy. He said my only resort is to contact the ATF and request a copy of it. Something tells me, doing so is gonna go over about as well as finding a turd in the punch bowl. :(

I was in a similar situation a few years back, lost my original paperwork for an NFA item. The ATF representative I dealt with was most accommodating. Sent me a new "original" from their archives in a couple of weeks. Needless to say, I made copies to carry with the firearm and put the original in the safety deposit box.

Hope your resolution is as simple as mine was! Good luck!

In the process of moving, either I or my wife misplaced my ATF trust from when I purchased my TBAC. What do I need to do in order to obtain another copy? I've contacted my FFL but haven't yet heard back from him so is there anything else I need to do?

Get a scanner, scan important documents to computer. Harder to misplace. You can save them to Google docs as well so they will be available anywhere with your phone.

This isn't even an issue for an attorney. It's a simple records management issue with the OP. He should have kept a copy with his approved Form 4's in his safe where other important items/documents are kept.

Last edited:

Just sayin

My sarcasm was obviously lost on you, just sayin.

Get a scanner, scan important documents to computer. Harder to misplace. You can save them to Google docs as well so they will be available anywhere with your phone.

This isn't even an issue for an attorney. It's a simple records management issue with the OP. He should have kept a copy with his approved Form 4's in his safe where other important items/documents are kept.

I had an attorney draw up my trust. While I agree with you that this was a records management issue with the OP, it is pretty simple to shoot your attorney an email requesting another copy if needed. I have mine saved on two different hard drives and two different email servers. I also have hard copies in two different safes as well as electronic copies on my phones.

I have never understood why people act so nonchalantly with regards to NFA trusts, whether it's having a non attorney draft it or how they store the original. Especially considering how small the attorney's fees to write one are compared to the value of the items that it is covering, once you really start adding NFA items to your collection.

My sarcasm was obviously lost on you, just sayin.

I had an attorney draw up my trust. While I agree with you that this was a records management issue with the OP, it is pretty simple to shoot your attorney an email requesting another copy if needed. I have mine saved on two different hard drives and two different email servers. I also have hard copies in two different safes as well as electronic copies on my phones.

I have never understood why people act so nonchalantly with regards to NFA trusts, whether it's having a non attorney draft it or how they store the original. Especially considering how small the attorney's fees to write one are compared to the value of the items that it is covering, once you really start adding NFA items to your collection.

No worries,I read the post for face value. I d rather err on the side of caution when dealing w any agency that will _________ fill in blank when they can or want.

Scan a good copy, save it as a PDF and send to yourself via email. It'll always be with you wherever you have your phone
Save your Schedule A as a word document and it's easily updated to add more items.
My original sits in my save in sheet protectors in a ziplock bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you call the ATF they can send you a copy. I had thought (I was wrong) that I had lost mine once and they sent me a copy. It arrived shortly after I had found my original. It's not a big deal

I keep a copy of the unex edited trust. I encourage clients to email a copy of the executed trust. I archive that.

You can ask the atf for a copy. Do you know when it was executed? I.e. The dates?

I would amend and restate. I have find this more than once.

Just an FYI for all you guys who had lawyers draft up your trusts.

Lawyers by law are only required (really just a good rule of thumb) to keep records for about 7 years. Most keep them for 10-15 years, but after that they have them destroyed. It would be wise for everyone to make a hard copy of your trust and keep it locked away. Mine stays in the bottom of my safe in a ziplock bag along with my passport etc..

I have my original tucked in with all my "important stuff", and I have a copy on my iPhone, my wife has a copy on her phone, I have a copy on my laptop, pc, and work computers, my wife's laptop, pc, work computer, my rifle case, my wife's rifle case, my truck, her car, and in our safe. I hope, with all hopes, that we are covered... I hope.

DK