• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Misprinted turret on my new Schmidt& Bender scope!

buckey

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2007
Pittsburgh, Pa
Just Mounted my brand new S&B Zenith on my new custom hunting rifle yesterday. While shooting, I needed 2 clicks of windage to move my impact to left.

Moved 2 clicks towards "L" position on my turret - impact moved further right. I'm thinking, what the fuck?? So shot another group and still right. So I turned the turret towrds the left (which is marked "R") and impact came back to the left. Zeroed the rifle and shot great groups - never payed attention to it until today.

I got to looking - the turret is misprinted = the arrow pointing left is marked with a "R" while the arrow pointing right is marked with a "L". Son of a bitch - brand new $1800 S&B and the damn thing has a misprinted turret!!

The scope tracks well (after I figured the misprint out) and holds zero with no problem. But I am now concerned with the quality of the build on this particular scope!! I think I am going to ask to have a new scope delivered to me and send this one back.

Anyone ever hear or experience something like this??

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Misprinted turret on my new Schmidt& Bender scope!

Could you post a pic? No reflection on you, but my first instinct is to assume that you're just interpreting the markings on the turret differently than they intended. It's just the simplest answer, is all.

Ratbert,

I will post pics, but I compared it to my other S&B scope and they are opposite of each other.

Pics on the way!!

Here is a pic:

riflepics003-1.jpg

I had the same issue - Mark at S&B told me they had a few that had the incorrect label applied. Give them a call and they will send you a new sticker to replace the one on your turret. Mine is a Zenith as well.

flyfishdave,

Thanks for the info!! Did you have any other problems with that particular scope?? How did you change the "stickers" out?? Do you unscrew the small screw on top of turret and then change them out??

Where did you get your scope from?? I got mine from Alex Roy. I got a call into him about this - he's a good dude to deal with. Hopefully he just sends me a new scope!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ratbert,

I will post pics, but I compared it to my other S&B scope and they are opposite of each other.

Pics on the way!!</div></div>

Thanks for humoring me.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyfishdave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same issue - Mark at S&B told me they had a few that had the incorrect label applied. Give them a call and they will send you a new sticker to replace the one on your turret. Mine is a Zenith as well.</div></div>

Learn something new every day.

The instructions indicate (straight from S&B owners manual):

To move the point of impact RIGHT: turn dial to the right towards the "R"

To move the point of impact LEFT: turn dial to the left towrds
the "L"

This is definetly misprinted - checked it agianst my other S&B scopes.

Re: Misprinted turret on my new Schmidt& Bender sc

Mark explained it had to do with the preferences of CW versus CCW turrets in the USA and in Europe. Since the Zenith line of 'short dots' was a direct descendant of the European line of scopes, i.e. not like the initial offering of the short dots which was made with the FFP ranging reticle, they may have forgot to change the sticker during production. At least this is what I recall him telling me sometime ago.

I got mine direct from S&B through a friend and sits on my AR - no problems. It has been rained on at a 3-gun match during Hurricane Hanna and is usually grounded on the firing line which is all sand. The rheostat is gritty, but works fine. Keep the optics covered when not in use, be familiar with your dope and you should be all set. Never did think the FFP reticle would be of any use for my application on a carbine shot within 300 meters on a 1.1-4x optic.

Don't waste your time sending it back. The old sticker comes off with the edge of a blade cleanly, peel off the backing on the new sticker, and just apply. No need to disassemble the turret any more than you did for the photo, so don't touch that little black screw. I actually just used a sharpie to re-label the thing before contacting S&B for the 'correct' label. Mark or Marcia should be able to help you out when you call them.

BTW, the only other sticker I put on was this:

Small sticker on scope:
ballisticardsmall-vi.jpg

Homemade drop table using photo-sticker paper.

Appreciate your help!!! Like I said the scope tracked well and held its zero - no problems there. I really don't want to send it back, I'll just replace the label like you did. I was just a little pissed about it at first, but as long as the scope tracks and holds its zero, no sweat.

Again, thank you.

Jeff