• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Missed A Shot On My Garmin Chrono Today

vh20

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2012
I've been running the Garmin on every session, 2-3x/week since late October. Today is the first time I ever had it miss recording a shot. Why? Because somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd shot on the string, it decided to pause the session and ask if I wanted to update the software and I didn't catch the prompt because I was on the rifle. To me, it is stupid to interrupt an active session to ask if you want to update. If you are concentrating on your shooting, you aren't going to catch it. I appreciate the opportunity to update, but I think if you are in an active session, that is not the time to execute an un-commanded pause for an opportunity to update. Perhaps we need ANOTHER update so that it won't stop recording shots in the middle of your session to ask if you want to update? There are plenty of opportunities for it to ask for an update other than when it is in "capture" mode.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is stupid. Companies have to understand that the purpose of their equipment is to act predictably to help us accomplish our goals— not to ask us all sort of questions, including if we want to update their firmware.

I had two of the new Vortex LRFs and while we were in the middle of shooting they started to ask of we wanted to network them together. WTF.

Yeah, that is stupid. Companies have to understand that the purpose of their equipment is to act predictably to help us accomplish our goals— not to ask us all sort of questions, including if we want to update their firmware.

I had two of the new Vortex LRFs and while we were in the middle of shooting they started to ask of we wanted to network them together. WTF.
Thanks, Zak. I'm a proud user and fan of TBAC products (338 Ultra today during the session related). I will report my experience to Garmin, but perhaps a word to them from someone in the industry like you might have more weight than from a nobody like me.

I have a question ... when this happened, were you plugged into a computer and running "Garmin Express" ... or was the unit disconnected and standing alone? I tried to simulate what happened, but the only time I could do that was when I was USB'd in to my laptop and running the Garmin software.

Reactions: LastShot300
I have a question ... when this happened, were you plugged into a computer and running "Garmin Express" ... or was the unit disconnected and standing alone? I tried to simulate what happened, but the only time I could do that was when I was USB'd in to my laptop and running the Garmin software.
Could be wrong but I bet he was bluetoothed to his phone.
That was my next question ... the app probably initiated the upgrade request.

This is the kind of stuff that often gets found by early adopters and gets fixed in updates. I would think this would be a very minor code change to fix.

Could be wrong but I bet he was bluetoothed to his phone.
Correct. Not intentionally, but it was. I’m hadn’t opened it that day, but it was still running in the background from a previous day because I didn’t completely close it out.

Reactions: drglock
This is the kind of stuff that often gets found by early adopters and gets fixed in updates. I would think this would be a very minor code change to fix.
Agreed

Anyone (but me) ever accidentally start a Kestrel software update at the range. If you do ... grab your lunch and take a nap in the cab of your pickup ... cuz you won’t be shooting for a while.

• Haha
Reactions: Ronin_64 and iceng
Anyone (but me) ever accidentally start a Kestrel software update at the range. If you do ... grab your lunch and take a nap in the cab of your pickup ... cuz you won’t be shooting for a while.
Yup. Unfortunately I did that after losing my kestrel. I replaced it and put all my data from the app on my phone. Then when I went to the range I was all ready to go and it did the update. Took forever because of the service I guess.

Yup. Unfortunately I did that after losing my kestrel. I replaced it and put all my data from the app on my phone. Then when I went to the range I was all ready to go and it did the update. Took forever because of the service I guess.
It has nothing to do with the "service" ... you could have a 5G antenna stuck in your ass, while holding a cell phone booster in one hand and your Internet cable modem in the other ... and it would still take FOR-EV-ER !!!

1705326357226.png

I powered mine up, linked to my phone, left it on for a while before heading to the range for the last two updates.
Still asked while shooting, and didn't capture shots while waiting for my answer.

Yeah and what I about the freakin AB mobile app constantly asking to update PDM (Personal drag models) or CDMs when you open it.

Someone was dropped on their head one too many times, as a child……

IMG_4280.jpeg

I lost an entire shot string for the same issue. I hadn't hit the finish button when the update popped up. Once the update finished, the string I was in middle of was gone. Pretty annoying if you're doing work on customer ammo or anything else important.

But, shit happens and it's an amazing piece of gear for $600. We have two and I'll probably just keep them both running and hope they don't ask to update at the same time.

If your pussy actually hurts that bad over this, and you HAVE to have the unit connected to your phone, put your phone in airplane mode. Bunch a fucking bitches who need to be handed a solution instead of just thinking about it. How’s it gona know there’s an update if it can’t talk to the interwebs…or is going off-line when you’re shooting too terrible to contemplate? I hate this thread. I’m disappointed.

The update could load to the phone days before, and just sit there waiting to screw with you :)
I usually run in airplane mode, Wifi for my Bullet cam, Bluetooth for the Garmin.

Yeah and what I about the freakin AB mobile app constantly asking to update PDM (Personal drag models) or CDMs when you open it.

Someone was dropped on their head one too many times, as a child……
The bullet library updates go quickly ... it's the system firmware updates every few months that I start when I go to bed, and check progress in the morning. (OK, it's not "that bad" ... but it's close.)

Reactions: vh20
You're not kidding. I had a kid come over one time that wanted to gather dope on his rifle at distance. After he was set up and ready to shoot, I heard him say, "Hang on a minute, I need to update my Kestrel." Before I could say Noooooo... it was too late. 40 minutes later he got to start shooting.

If your pussy actually hurts that bad over this, and you HAVE to have the unit connected to your phone, put your phone in airplane mode. Bunch a fucking bitches who need to be handed a solution instead of just thinking about it. How’s it gona know there’s an update if it can’t talk to the interwebs…or is going off-line when you’re shooting too terrible to contemplate? I hate this thread. I’m disappointed.
Wait ... please hold on a second ... I need to go grab a pair of scissors to snip that hair across your ass that is obviously bothering you. LOL ✂️

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
It's a fantastic piece of kit, but bitches gona bitch. Some people just can’t be happy unless they’re playing the victim and complaining.

Even though it would be the thrill and highlight of your life to groom my ass…hard pass.

Last edited:
Some people just can’t be happy unless they’re playing the victim and complaining.
This is a reasonable discussion of a function of a device the posters own. Quite common and not whining at all.

I think you are way off base.

It's a fantastic piece of kit, but bitches gona bitch. Some people just can’t be happy unless they’re playing the victim and complaining.

Even though it would the the thrill and highlight of your life to groom my ass…hard pass.
There's that sense of humor ... I KNEW we could find it if we tried a little harder.

I came here to tell everyone how much I hate this thread……🤣🤣🤣

I think Brian the tard is passing a contagion.

• Haha
Reactions: Fig
The bullet library updates go quickly ... it's the system firmware updates every few months that I start when I go to bed, and check progress in the morning. (OK, it's not "that bad" ... but it's close.)

Some of you folks apparently never loaded Ventura Publisher on a 286 processor based computer...

I once had my Garmin 830 bike computer decide to do a GPS firmware update - in the middle of a ride.

This is all part of the Garmin ownership experience. The company's hardware tends to be pretty solid, the software starts off kinda shitty but gets better over the first couple years of the product's life, and eventually things tend to work out just fine.

This type of issue is typically discovered by early adopters and resolved in upgrades. In order to assist us achieve our objectives, companies must also realize that the equipment they provide is meant to function predictably.

...so, getting back to the original post...

I complained about the interruption of a session for an update to Garmin and this is how they responded:

"At this time, that is how the device, and all xero devices I believe are set to work by design. If the device is asking a question, it will need a response in order to either proceed with the next step in updating, or deny that update and move on to continue your session. Without it being ready to pick up shots, it is not going to collect data.

At this time, this is how the device is designed to work, and not a device flaw."

Obviously they need to hear about this from more users!

...so, getting back to the original post...

I complained about the interruption of a session for an update to Garmin and this is how they responded:

"At this time, that is how the device, and all xero devices I believe are set to work by design. If the device is asking a question, it will need a response in order to either proceed with the next step in updating, or deny that update and move on to continue your session. Without it being ready to pick up shots, it is not going to collect data.

At this time, this is how the device is designed to work, and not a device flaw."

Obviously they need to hear about this from more users!
I have a plan ... We should get all the designers together after inviting them to a free steak-and-wine dinner taking place "right now", and ask them to start their car right after we disconnect the battery to do a passive continuity test on the electric cables. 40 minutes later when we're done testing, we hook the battery cables back up, they start their car, and arrive at the free dinner just as the waiters are clearing the dessert plates. We explain to them that "this" is how we feel when an upgrade action interrupts us unexpectedly. They go home hungry and disappointed, but better educated about their products' user experience. Here endeth the lesson ...

I had a similar experience on my first time out with the device yesterday (mind you, I'd already updated the firmware at home several days prior after unboxing).

For me, I actually caught the update request and declined it, only to have it immediately reprompt as soon as I got behind the gun. So I just accepted it. But yeah not only was I annoyed that it essentially broke the primary function of the device, but it was (in my opinion) entirely too insistent that I accept the update.

Seems to me that one way to improve this experience is to keep catching shots in the background, even if the prompt is on the main screen; it should also not ask again about the update until powered off and on again if the user declines. Or hey, just notify the user that the update is ready, but then the user has to go activate it manually. Lots of ways to fix this.

Same thing happened to me. But in my case, I had read this thread and decided to wait a couple minutes after turning on the Xero and also checked the app on my phone to see if the update prompt would appear. It did not and so I started shooting.

After the 2nd shot, the update prompt appeared and the last 3 shots were missed. I had the Xero sitting in a position on the right side of my rifle where I could not see the screen unless I lifted my face off the cheek riser.

I understand Garmin's position on the prompts and that action "may" need to be taken. That said, they need to rank the prompts so that something like a version upgrade would not be triggered during a firing session.

I guess the rule going forward is to check for an update before going to the range. But even that won't catch an update that gets pushed while you are at the range and have the Xero paired to your phone.

Don’t have your phone paired to it while at the range is the simple fix. I would think you would be best to just have your Bluetooth off.

The fact that the unit is so reliable that anyone complains about a single missed shot just shows how far the tech has come. My Beta Chrono with sky screens probably misses 30% or more.