• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

missing lapua reciever

alphadogg56

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
Little Creek , Norfolk, Va.
I am writing this I guess just to release some steam..Iam pretty pissed that I took the time to read most all the bolt action post just to find the best rifle smiths or well respected and I think I did, what I didn't do was try and find the best way to send it, the Frikin post office is not it..even when you have insurance there unable to do a good job.well I sent my brand new Krieger #10 bull barrel , reciever,bolt and oversized lug off and the only thing that was left in the box was the barrel...Part of the box was missing and retaped. at the torn end.iam not going to beat myself in the head ..I don't think that would help,but I am open to any advice as to where to find a replacement bolt and reciever.an if this has ever happened to you I'd like to know what to expect from my claim.

They will ask for pictures and info. with a receiver missing. file a police report as well, it counts as a firearm that has gone missing. this might light a fire under the usps as well and get some inspectors assigned to the case.

last time I had an incident with usps, I had shipped all the photos from childhood as I was moving from HI to AL. they lost the box and I filed a claim. then they asked for pictures of what was in the box. I responded with a 4 letter tirade about taking pictures of pictures.

The only claim I have had with the post office was about 5 years ago and all they wanted was a receipt for the cost of the item lost. They wouldn't allow a claim to be filed until it had been missing for 30 days or more. We also got them copies of the manufacturers pricing so they could see the items original cost. The owner had a check within 30 days of filing. The most common cause of damaged package claims is poor packing. Pack it like you're going to have it dropped from an airplane an rolled over by bulldozers. If it will survive that you'll always be fine. If you're trusting to the carriers, transports and sorting machines you're lucky to have any of it get anywhere. This is true of UPS, Fed Ex, US Post and all the others. Imagine gorillas and hammers when you pack......

Frank

From my experience the people who work at the post office are a bunch of morons. I filed a claim last month with them bc they lost a knife I bought here on the hide. It was checked into my local post office but never delivered and the status was never updated.

Only claim I've done is when I bought a custom Halfrich knife and seller never got my MO--poof lost. Had to send a second one, but first went un-cashed and they refunded something like 60 days later.

Funny part was about 8-9 months later I got the original envelope and MO returned to me, nothing wrong with address, no return to send, just stuck back in my POB.

That one instance aside, I'm one of the lucky few with USPS--ship and receive somewhere north of 25-30 guns a year and they almost all go priority mail. Not one problem if packaged well. I don't trust anyone with packaging, so usually a cheap hard case in a cardboard box or wrapped in cardboard. Good luck so far.

I am writing this I guess just to release some steam..Iam pretty pissed that I took the time to read most all the bolt action post just to find the best rifle smiths or well respected and I think I did, what I didn't do was try and find the best way to send it, the Frikin post office is not it..even when you have insurance there unable to do a good job.well I sent my brand new Krieger #10 bull barrel , reciever,bolt and oversized lug off and the only thing that was left in the box was the barrel...Part of the box was missing and retaped. at the torn end.iam not going to beat myself in the head ..I don't think that would help,but I am open to any advice as to where to find a replacement bolt and reciever.an if this has ever happened to you I'd like to know what to expect from my claim.

Packaging packaging packaging
You want to complain about the USPS but it sounds like you didn't package your parts very well.
If they move inside of your package they are not packaged correctly.
The action and bolt should have been placed in a zip-lock type back with your full address and phone number enclosed.
Your address and phone number should be taped to the barrel as well.
Spray in foam can be used to secure the parts in place as well.
If you think the packages get placed on soft blankets and are only handled by nuns your are truly mistaken.
They get put in 6 foot cages with all kinds of packages stacked on top of them then a machine picks the entire cage up and dumps it out on a conveyor.
I read these types of posts all the time and have to wonder how people think there package is actually handled?
You file a claim after 30 days and the USPS will look for the missing components along there path and at what used to be called the dead letter facility.
If not found you get the value of your components after showing what you paid and not what you insured them for.
If found the components will be returned.
Packaging is 99.99% of the problem in all claims filed.

Don't mean to burst your bubble,but if I knew a bunch of morons were going to hurl the box around I probably would used a wooden box.second I didn't say how it was packed.the clerk made reference to how well it was packed, which she noted for my claim,you could blame the box if it makes you fill good...but it was in a zip lock bag (parts) and a seperatele box inside a box supplied buy the post office.if you sell shipping boxes not able to handle your gorilla type finese,maybe you should sell better boxes period.i didn't pay for you to hurl my Frikin box half way to its destination, and I don't pretend to know what goes on in a place that can only do half the job even when you pay there price , use there insurance and package it to there standards.

Too late now but for future reference use a hard case to ship the build parts in. That way the builder can ship the rifle back to you in the case.

Sorry to hear about your debacle.