• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mistakes when reloading

Accidic

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2020
While I'm sure many would tell you how perfect they are with all the precautions and safe actions they take reloading... IME we're all prone to mistakes and I doubt reloading is an exception. Though it as least one that hopefully your processes protect us/you from any mishap but am curious what everyone's "worst" mistake has been. Have known of a few to use the wrong powder to give them an alert, another who missed a primer installed backwards (twice) and having it go off backwards was a fun wakeup call for them, and one particular instance where a smudge in a reloading manual had them loading a 7mm RM ~5 grains over what was meant to be the maximum...

My worst was last night where I had my seaters mixed up and it was acting peculiarly and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Turned out I was seating my 223 with a Grendel seater. :) Seemed to work well (decent concentricity too :) ) but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my seating depths seemed to be all over the place. Have since fixed them and though it probably would have been no harm got to wondering what some others have done by mistake in the past.

Probably a dozen or so “reloading mistake” threads on here. Lots to read if you search for it

I found a couple in searches but usually only one item to a thread. And didn't want to resurrect but will search a little further.

Last edited:
Started 4 months ago, 1k loaded and shot.

First mistake was a primer MISSING. I just reprimed the round at home but at that moment I realized the processes need safeguards. Either check everything right away or later in a batch.

Second mistake was a squib. I wondered on the bench that I have 1 dose ready to go but the last one was filled too so I had nowhere to put it. I had reweighted few cases due to a spill and that dose was from the center of the tray.. Luckily all my loads are variety of compressions and noticed it right upon seating a bullet.
That time was probably the only time I did not do a powder check before seating, I did before that too but now I won't forget to do it and give it that extra 5 seconds, not doing it in a hurry.

With the Hornady hand primer I get few primers backwards per tray, so far I have felt them at once and fixed the problem right away.

Reactions: Accidic
Like you said, you would like to think you have perfected things over time. However, when you shoot/load as much as we do in FTR and I've had all of these happen at the firing line ready to shoot:

*Primer seated backwards
*No primer
*No powder
*Brass from another rifle that would not chamber
*Neck tension so little bullet pulled out when I grabbed it from case
*Will add this as it pertains to reloading somewhat. Guy I was paired with shot a lot of sighters and didn't bring enough ammo to finish match. He was one short and dropped 10 points as result. :(

Multiple second guessing and being paranoid about blowing myself up, even though I had a solid process written out. Missing unprimed cases. The repetitive nature is soooo hard for me to stay focused and not allow my concentration drift. MUST STAY ON TASK! Lol

I normally do 70 to 100 rounds at a time.
Components sorted first as needed, trimmed to length, deburred.
As I'm going through the loading block I flip cases over after an operation.
Body size, flip, Neck size, flip, Prime, flip.
If setting up for a single barrel I check fit in that chamber and adjust die for the desired headspace.
After several that are OK I go with it. One chamber I set for a very minimal headspace and check all sized cases for fit.

When I charge, I insert an upside down bullet in the charged case.
When seating, the bullet is removed in the press and flipped.. Helps protect powder from spills.
If I stop in the middle of an operation I can see where I stopped.

Biggest (potentially lethal) error I ever made was mixing in a single .243 projectile into a box of .224 projectiles…. It ended up loaded in a 223 case for a match…. I found it during deliberate fire because the bolt was super hard to close (duh!) - if it had been in the mag during rapid fire I’m fairly sure I would have slammed the bolt hard enough to get it closed and fire it with disastrous results.

that single bullet made me become meticulous with my reloading practices - only have 1 kind of projectile, 1 kind of powder, 1 kind of case etc out at any time, plan every step, do the step, verify the step was completed properly…

Reactions: Accidic and BLEE
While loading 300 win mag and 220 grain SMKs using a balance beam scale, I put in 10 grains too much powder. I think it was 82 grains of H1000 instead of 72 grains - compressed charge. Solution: buy a decent digital scale with calibration weights. This was about 30 years ago. I still have the gun and it still shoots very well (now in 300 PRC) and I still have that scale and it is still rock solid.

I have done: missing primer, primer backwards, wrong powder type, no powder, too much powder (see above), wrong bullet for charge, not uniform powder charge, wrong brass (berdan primer instead of boxer primer), cut too much metal with a flash hole uniformer, cut too much metal with a primer pocket uniformer, trimmed the neck too far, did not trim the neck soon enough, seated too long, full length size the shoulder back too far, while turning necks cut off too much, go to range forgot ammo (one time it was 120 miles!). So far, I have not done wrong primer or wrong bullet diameter.

I have developed several self-defense mechanisms. For example, after hand-priming cases, I check every case. After making ammo on a progressive press, I check every primer. After charging with powder, I visually check every case for powder and similar levels. I keep a book of my standard loads with steps and measurements and I refer to it often during the process. I have a "going to the range" checklist and I use it.

Reactions: BLEE
I've made plenty of mistakes over the years. Many of them on purpose, to test what might happen (like creating excess headspace, or firing 9mm in a 40 S&W, etc), but a fair number of actual mistakes too. I think it's important to learn from our mistakes, and sometimes duplicating a mistake intentionally and in a controlled manner can teach a lot about how things really work. For example, learning to do hot load development in semi auto pistols with the magazine removed, to give the gas room to escape if there's a case rupture.

I did load one squib by accident once; just primer with no powder. That was the day I figured out a 9mm case on the end of a screwdriver is a good way to protect the bore while driving a bullet out. Have since loaded a number of other squibs to learn more about what they do.

I've still got a batch of ~150 45 Auto loads that are too hot for any of my pistols. I did load development in a blowback action (a Mechtech carbine, which has a fairly heavy bolt) and they were satisfactory, although intentionally hot loads, and very accurate. So I loaded up a bunch, without testing them in any of the pistols first.

And you know those MEC shotgun presses, with the powder and shot in the bottles, on the mount that lets you flip them over behind the press? Remember how those bottles have a plug on base (top) end, that can be removed to fill them on the press? Yep, you know what I did then... That was a freaking mess all over the bench, and it makes me sad to think about all that Blue Dot now.

I've made plenty of mistakes over the years. Many of them on purpose, to test what might happen (like creating excess headspace, or firing 9mm in a 40 S&W, etc), but a fair number of actual mistakes too. I think it's important to learn from our mistakes, and sometimes duplicating a mistake intentionally and in a controlled manner can teach a lot about how things really work. For example, learning to do hot load development in semi auto pistols with the magazine removed, to give the gas room to escape if there's a case rupture.

I did load one squib by accident once; just primer with no powder. That was the day I figured out a 9mm case on the end of a screwdriver is a good way to protect the bore while driving a bullet out. Have since loaded a number of other squibs to learn more about what they do.

I've still got a batch of ~150 45 Auto loads that are too hot for any of my pistols. I did load development in a blowback action (a Mechtech carbine, which has a fairly heavy bolt) and they were satisfactory, although intentionally hot loads, and very accurate. So I loaded up a bunch, without testing them in any of the pistols first.

And you know those MEC shotgun presses, with the powder and shot in the bottles, on the mount that lets you flip them over behind the press? Remember how those bottles have a plug on base (top) end, that can be removed to fill them on the press? Yep, you know what I did then... That was a freaking mess all over the bench, and it makes me sad to think about all that Blue Dot now.
Curious about the casing (9mm) to clear the bore (have never had an unintentional squib but this is an interesting idea to me for clearing should something go wrong). Would that have been in the 40 (would the .01 be enough?) or just in the 45. Was trying to think of an alternate should I encounter as I've culled many of my pistols down to only a couple round types outside of 36cal. I do know 32ACP is too big (though makes a pretty neat swaged 357Mag jacket) and have not seen the 30SC from Federal in person yet though have read it may be close. Beyond that the only thing I could think for the 36s would be a 25 auto maybe but it would have a lot of side to side.

To the latter regarding the MEC, I can relate as it always made me nervous when I was younger for that very reason. It was to the point that I'd stick with a LLA instead and have loaded in excess of 15-20k while the other collected dust.

Curious about the casing (9mm) to clear the bore (have never had an unintentional squib but this is an interesting idea to me for clearing should something go wrong). Would that have been in the 40 (would the .01 be enough?) or just in the 45. Was trying to think of an alternate should I encounter as I've culled many of my pistols down to only a couple round types outside of 36cal. I do know 32ACP is too big (though makes a pretty neat swaged 357Mag jacket) and have not seen the 30SC from Federal in person yet though have read it may be close. Beyond that the only thing I could think for the 36s would be a 25 auto maybe but it would have a lot of side to side.

To the latter regarding the MEC, I can relate as it always made me nervous when I was younger for that very reason. It was to the point that I'd stick with a LLA instead and have loaded in excess of 15-20k while the other collected dust.

9mm brass in a 40 barrel is so close that sometimes it fits, and sometimes it doesn't, depending on the barrel and the brass. A lot of fired brass won't fit. Sized brass depends on the case; S&B seems to not fit my barrels (you got me wondering so I checked), while most of the Blazer brass drops through just fine.

I was running some 223 through the Dillon 550b. Just powdering and seating bullets on some bulk ammo. Found one round lacking a bullet and spilled powder in the tray where the loaded rounds eject from the machine. After wondering how the hell I did that, I realized if one round was missing a bullet, somewhere there was a round that was missing POWDER as well.
So, I weighed a couple of known good rounds and left the 1010 scale set at that weight. I knew if I ran across a round that was missing 25.5 grains of powder, the scale wouldn't even move. This worked and I caught the bad round after about 25% of the 350 rds. Pulled the bullet and shorenuff, no powder. I went ahead and weighed the rest, just in case I possibly missed another one, but in the end I only screwed up once.

Reactions: BLEE
Might as well revive this one and tell on myself.

I was doing a testing set up today and grabbed my primer to prime 73 cases of 223. I did so and then used my IP (which is awesome btw) ro throw my TAC. After I filled them all, I went on to seat.

I seated one and went to adjust the depth to desired seat and my seating depth didn't chang in the amount it should have. This happened again when I adjusted it and tried to seat it again at the correct depth...

I grabbed another and had the same results. I grabbed a 3rd after playing with the seater a bit and that's when it hit me...... I then inspected the primer and found that it wasn't seated enough and was barely protruding from the case.

(I had been priming 6cm and had the depth on my SRP priming tool set a specific depth for that case with that shell holder and it is apparently not adequate for 223.

So there I was, staring at 3 loaded rounds, and 70 more filled cases, all with primers that needed to be seated a touch deeper..... so what would you do????

Yeah I did it. I carefully picked up each filled case and while pointing it away from my face I proceeded to set each one to the actual required depth.

The 3 loaded rounds really did make me nervous but I did them too but I did take some precautions on where I was when I did it....

How does a backwards primer get set off? I can't imagine the firing pin could reach it the anvil.

First rifle reload. 25.5g cfe pistol instead of 223. Was lucky i didnt get hurt too bad and it wad my cheap rifle.

Attachments

• Message_1597259352048.jpg
    Message_1597259352048.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Wow
Reactions: BLEE and Anb618
First rifle reload. 25.5g cfe pistol instead of 223. Was lucky i didnt get hurt too bad and it wad my cheap rifle.
Wow.... yeah you are lucky. That could have been really bad. Seems the AR's are able to handle failures better than I would have thought judging by a handful I've seen get blown up.

my mistake was that i read advices from stupid reloaders, who doesnt have a clue about reloading, guns and statistics and make conclusions from their shitty guns.

Wow.... yeah you are lucky. That could have been really bad. Seems the AR's are able to handle failures better than I would have thought judging by a handful I've seen get blown up.
Yes sir. Sprayed my arms with aluminum and im allergic to it. That was about the worst. Aimpoint went flying about 6 feet onto concrete. The mount broke. When i got a new mount it was only 3 clicks to zero again. The worst part is it filled the case more than i thought was right so i posted about online and people were like its fine. Lol

I verify everything I can but my goto is either my. 6.5x55 or I'm loading for my kids so I've got both ends of the spectrum of reasons. I am always apprehensive if advice. Always ALWAYS verify.

Yes sir. Sprayed my arms with aluminum and im allergic to it. That was about the worst. Aimpoint went flying about 6 feet onto concrete. The mount broke. When i got a new mount it was only 3 clicks to zero again. The worst part is it filled the case more than i thought was right so i posted about online and people were like its fine. Lol

You told people that it filled the case more than you thought and the said "it's fine" because the charge weight and they thought it was rifle power? OR- you told them it was pistol powder and they said "it's fine"??? Where was this??

Assuming Hornady 308 brass is large primer and trying to press in a new primer and feeling it no go when your relatively new to reloading has been my 1st folly. Don't know what to do with the brass cause obviously wouldn't be a bright idea to run through press and have it go off.

And then finding out Hornady IS large primer and they crimp it in so now if I want to reload I have to ream it a bit.

You told people that it filled the case more than you thought and the said "it's fine" because the charge weight and they thought it was rifle power? OR- you told them it was pistol powder and they said "it's fine"??? Where was this??
I thought it was cfe 223. Asked if a min charge should almost be compressed. Some fb group. Didnt realize until i got home with a gun in pieces i grabbed the wrong can. It was totally my fault

I thought it was cfe 223. Asked if a min charge should almost be compressed. Some fb group. Didnt realize until i got home with a gun in pieces i grabbed the wrong can. It was totally my fault
I see. Well, you weren't the first and definitely won't be the last to do that.

So, how many rounds did you load with that powder and I hope they are all accounted for?