• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mitutoyo Digital Solar Powered Caliper

jim10801

Chief Engineer
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2005
Seattle, WA
For years I have been using what I consider one of the finest calipers around, a Starrett 123-6 Master Vernier Caliper.
Been thinking about getting a Mitutoyo Digital, Solar Powered Caliper.
I don't believe that they would be any more accurate, but easier to use with the different comparators that I use. I could insert the comparator tool into the caliper and then zero it and get a reading from zero instead of taking a measurement and subtracting the length of the comparator or just incorporating the comparator length into the reading.

It is the solar powered part that I'm unsure of. Any opinions on solar powered instruments?

have the solar powered one. love it. Got tired of the battery ones always going dead whenI needed them the most.

I would suggest the $100 pair of mitutoyo calipers,
cheaper and no batteries or electronics to worry about going out, or getting wet, or batteries dying.

I like digital calipers for quick readings that don't need to be close and the ones that have the ability to measure incrementally are handy, but I still prefer a dial caliper over digital.
I trust digital less than dial, and if it needs to be closer than that, you are using the wrong tool in my opinion.