• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mix Single and Two Stage Trigger - One Shooter?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am building a couple of AR15s and one AR10, as well as obtaining a couple of bolt rifles (over time). Question is, should these rifles all have the same type of trigger (single stage or two stage)? I have been told by some that trying to switch back and forth between both types can be problematical and could negatively affect shooting precision. In other words, stick with one or the other, for all guns. What do you think?

- Phil

Re: Mix Single and Two Stage Trigger - One Shooter?

For me--All rifles, same type trigger(single stage), same pull weight etc. The whole muscle memory thing.

Makes sense. I found very little info on this topic...and little response here (other than yours). Maybe it just isn't that big of an issue? - Phil

Shouldn't matter, fundamentals are still the same.

If you train properly it doesn't matter.

You can only pull the trigger as fast as you can keep sights on target. The sights control the trigger pull, not the other way around.

I can get behind a two stage and shoot just as well as my single stage. I just "prefer" single stages and really get irritated if someone doesn't tell me that a rifle has a two stage before I get behind it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I can get behind a two stage and shoot just as well as my single stage. I just "prefer" single stages and really get irritated if someone doesn't tell me that a rifle has a two stage before I get behind it. </div></div>

The reason why you NEVER live fire without a dry fire first.

I used to think all my triggers had to be single stage, Then I bought a Gisselle (sp?) for one of my ARs. Two stage seems to be the only way to get a nice crisp trigger on a semi auto. You pull through the first stage, and then it feels just like a nice tuned 700 style trigger. 2nd stage breaks at 1 pound of additional pressure.

You need to try a Gisselle before you make your decision.

JMO.
-dan

Geissele is THE two stage triggers for an AR, and some experts feel that a light, no creep, single stage in these rifles (ARs) is not exactly safe. Did you find the use of single stage and two stage triggers in your guns cause you any shooting difficulty (since they are two different kinds of operation)?

- Phil