• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Mixed martial arts

fairdebtlawyer

Private
Minuteman
I went over to TeamROC in Fayetteville NC yesterday for the first time. They teach Muay Thai and Gracie BJJ, and yesterday was a BJJ day. A couple hours on the mats learning a few moves and getting beat pretty good left me breathing hard, let's say. I'm a little sore today but ready to go back next week.

Who else is into this? Any pointers, especially on not getting badly injured? although I don't foresee too much of that. TeamROC seems to be a solid outfit.

Re: Mixed martial arts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fairdebtlawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went over to TeamROC in Fayetteville NC yesterday for the first time. They teach Muay Thai and Gracie BJJ, and yesterday was a BJJ day. A couple hours on the mats learning a few moves and getting beat pretty good left me breathing hard, let's say. I'm a little sore today but ready to go back next week.

Who else is into this? Any pointers, especially on not getting badly injured? although I don't foresee too much of that. TeamROC seems to be a solid outfit. </div></div>

I went to Team Quest for about 2 years, and another smaller place before that called the Fight Factory for about 6 months. TQFC is pretty much the most professional martial arts gym I've ever seen or been to. I experienced quite a few injuries myself while there, and witnessed quite a few others which really are no fault of the establishment but mostly due to the stubborness of the fighters, or just accidents.

One thing to be wary of, there aren't a lot of pain receptors in your knees, so if you're in a knee bar and the guy sinks it just tap. You won't gradually feel more pain in your knee like your arms. Your knee will simply break once it goes past a certain point, and then you'll get to feel all the pain at once. Usually permanent damage in the knees as well.

Also, while it's beneficial practice to learn to escape from heel hooks, go easy. It takes very little pressure to completely unbuild your leg from a heel hook. Some schools don't even teach them.

On double leg takedowns, if you have your shoulders to high and ride them to the ground it's really easy to break their ribs. I learned that one the hard way. My ribs..

Practice as realistically as possible, but be humble and respectful injuries in the gym suck for everyone. I learned alot more being humble than I did thinking about beating the other guy.

Nowadays I only train with friends. We just bought all the pads and stuff and do our own thing. Definitely doesn't compare to the structured environment, but I spend all my money on bullets now.

laugh.gif

Enjoy yourself and be safe. If you drill hard enough what you learn now will probably stick with you the rest of your life!

It's worth mentioning, 2 years is about enough to but you at the Green belt MCMAP level. My stubborn jarhead friend and I learned eachother's strengths the hardway a few times.

1.Learn how to tap first.
2. Shut up and listen.
3.Ask questions at the end of class.
4.The only thing you can do to get better is to show up. This may seem easy, but it is the only way. You can't cut corners in grappling.

Its a fairly long road to build proficiency in this game.

You'll learn moves and one day you'll be rolling with someone and youll start seeing things you 'could' have done a few seconds after they go by. Gradually that time gets shorter until one day you start seeing things coming. It gets more fun then.

Also, you only get better by rolling with guys better than you.

On not getting injured: Stay fit, stay relaxed, don't tense up.

A BIG +1 on what SniperCJ says: The Japanese have a proverb that roughly tanslates to "All things come to him that waits." Getting good at this stuff takes time, and there's no way around that.

Muay Thai or boxing, plus wrestling or Ju Jitsu, appear to be the most popular combinations these days. This is likely due to the assumption that, to be competitive, one needs acceptable stand-up and at least good grappling defense.

I've been studying Judo since I was six years old. I am now at the point in my personal development where I know for sure that I don't know much about it. But at least I now know my limitations.

And one such limitation is that getting good is all about timing and smooth transitions. How many MMA students can transition smoothly from boxing to groundwork, or seamlessly from kickboxing to matt-work? Not many. Because they can't throw. Proficiency in that middle ground - balance displacement and throws - is what makes practitioners like Karo Parisian devastating.

So, I would urge you to (also) study a traditional Martial Art like Judo that teaches both throwing techniques and grappling techniques, together.

I recommend Sensei Kazuzo Kudo's book on grappling techniques in the Judo in Action series. The first edition was published in 1967. I have the 1972 edition. Nothing has changed. Most of what we now call 'BJJ' is in there, and then some. You can even learn the cool Japanese terms for what slick TV promoters are so elegantly calling the 'triangle' and the 'north-south position.'
laugh.gif

The martial arts are a great way to stay fit, they will help you manage the stress of practicing law, and they provide a lifetime of learning opportunities. Glad to have you among us.

Proficiency in Judo, or even Aikido has shown itself to be an amazing foundation for a well rounded fighter.

Gary Goodrich anyone?

You won't hear that from people in most MMA gyms really, I've run into the "our way is the best way and no others understand" mentality more than once.

The more you learn the better.

I've always wanted to get into some sort of MMA, mostly muay thai though. What's holding me back is that there isn't anything in my area for that. I think theres an mma gym about 3 hours from here but thats too unreasonable. There is an Hopkido place in town that a co worker goes to that might be a good idea.

I do Muay Thai and Krav Maga and will admit that its the best work out ever. I thought I would pass out after the first few classes. Stick to it and listen.

stretch, stretch some more, then take some time and stretch. as you get older your muscles don't like to "get longer" it takes very little to tear a muscle tendon or ligament. when you stretch out real good you will drastically reduce injury.

Make sure your medical insurance is paid in full, and have your deductible in the bank. Dont tell your doctor you got hurt in the dojo...

Fucking Kimbo was getting his ass handed to him. They shouldnt have called that fight till that guy was on the ground... Boy those Jersey fans were pissed off...

You betcha, Thunderchicken!

Thanks everybody. I have a little discomfort in my left rotator cuff, I think that's what they call it. Being OOOOOOLLLLLLLD does start to cut into the fun after awhile. But as I learned from spraining my knees the first time I tried police training (from being so incredibly out of shape) and plantar fasciitis the second time (one of those things), I MUST exercise or I WILL hurt. That was an awesome cardio workout. I stopped by a C-store a few minutes after I left the dojo to get a Gatorade, and the clerk said I looked rather bad off. But this is just what I need.

I can see that waiting, and a lot of losing, is required before the good things come. My partner was a female soldier about half my weight, and as I expected, she was whooping me pretty good most of the time. Thinking, and good form, and plain old Newtonian physics will beat what little brute strength I have.

Thanks especially Graham. Actually the law I do is not too stressful, in fact parts of it are stress-RELIEVING since I get to yell, literally, at people who totally deserve it. But yeah, putting out some energy on the mats, or in the gym where I already work out. Or best of all, I live out in the country where I can step out the back door and empty a few mags at paper targets.

Yeah, I am resolved to tap early. One of the first things I was told is that it takes about 8 pounds of force to start breaking things in your arm. Thanks for the word about knees not being painful enough until it's too late.

I did stand up for a long time. Then got into a street fight. Thought I was pretty bad ass. But, the guy grabbed me and I didn't have distance to punch or kick. I really didn't know what to do.

All I did was try to squirm away, while getting head butted, and punched. He almost KO'd me.

(Yes, I understand all the admonishments)

So, I got worked.

Anyway, I was pretty unhappy with that and realized I need some wrestling skills and took up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Huntington Beach with Cleber Luciano.

Got good and competed.

Time had passed and got into another street fight and this time prevailed.

All fighter need both a stand up and ground game.

Finally, this was over 15 years ago. I don't and won't get into situations like this anymore. I just let it all pass. Life and my internal balance are much too important now.

Things change as you get older. Chemistry and philosophy of the brain changes, hopefully for the better.

Anyway, it's good stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotexhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.Learn how to tap first.
2. Shut up and listen.
3.Ask questions at the end of class.
4.The only thing you can do to get better is to show up. This may seem easy, but it is the only way. You can't cut corners in grappling. </div></div>

Absolutely agree here. Nobody gives a shit how skilled or experienced you are if you go there to learn and are coachable. The advice given here about tapping is very well said - add ankles and elbow's to that equation IMO.

Oh, and don't buy TAPOUT shirts....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do Muay Thai and Krav Maga and will admit that its the best work out ever. I thought I would pass out after the first few classes. Stick to it and listen. </div></div>

+1 Muay Thai ROCKS!
But you have to know how to grapple!
Be patient with BJJ...

Just got my Blue belt in BJJ ....

I have a ways to go, but I love it. Makes a 40 year old man feel good about himself and helps remind me to stay in shape more.

The good thing about BJJ is that no matter what your size and body type is.... you CAN do BJJ. I plan on adding some striking now to the mix.

-Tdog

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Warrior Gear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Oh, and don't buy TAPOUT shirts.... </div></div>

Why whats wrong with TapouT shirts ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Warrior Gear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Why whats wrong with TapouT shirts ? </div></div>

I have one that I never wear that some family member bought me when I was training.

Honestly, I met the Tapout guys in Vegas at one of the UFC's I wouldn't want to hang out with them or be one of their patrons.

They're kind of male attention whores.

Secondarily, just about every person I've ever seen wearing a Tapout shirt has given me the distinct impression that they're neither a fighter, nor someone worth much respect.

There's exceptions to every rule of course, I just don't get my rocks off on those guys or their stuff, or generally the WWF'ization of UFC.

I pour a beer on Pride's grave and long for days of old.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Torfinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Warrior Gear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have one that I never wear that some family member bought me when I was training.

Honestly, I met the Tapout guys in Vegas at one of the UFC's I wouldn't want to hang out with them or be one of their patrons.

They're kind of male attention whores.

Secondarily, just about every person I've ever seen wearing a Tapout shirt has given me the distinct impression that they're neither a fighter, nor someone worth much respect.

There's exceptions to every rule of course, I just don't get my rocks off on those guys or their stuff, or generally the WWF'ization of UFC.

I pour a beer on Pride's grave and long for days of old.</div></div>

+1

I prefer one discipline, for me it's Karate.

My Sensei kept promising me I'd be testing for Blue belt, 3 other sensei's keep telling me the same thing but they also told me kids are complaining that us two adults in the adult class are taking over their rank.....so hence no blue belt has come.

No matter, I've started learning traditional Okinawana Karate- talk about discipline and deep stances.....I like it..

We have a Brazilian Jujitsu dojo that just opened up down the road, thought it would be fun to watch but that's not my cup of tea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer one discipline, for me it's Karate.

My Sensei kept promising me I'd be testing for Blue belt, 3 other sensei's keep telling me the same thing but they also told me kids are complaining that us two adults in the adult class are taking over their rank.....so hence no blue belt has come.

No matter, I've started learning traditional Okinawana Karate- talk about discipline and deep stances.....I like it..

We have a Brazilian Jujitsu dojo that just opened up down the road, thought it would be fun to watch but that's not my cup of tea.
</div></div>

I've been considering Aikido for a while, less for self defense and more just for fun. I am interested in Budo and Bushido.

You aren't sparring with the kids are you?

laugh.gif

BJJ is a lot of fun, and it's applicability is very natural in street situations. I can attest to that first hand, it definitely gets the job done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Torfinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...just about every person I've ever seen wearing a Tapout shirt has given me the distinct impression that they're neither a fighter, nor someone worth much respect.</div></div>
So true. Last weekend I went bar hopping and no shit, almost half of the guys out were wearing Tapout or some close bastardization of it. Some were short, some were tall, but all were fat bastards that would get winded unwrapping a twinky.

If you're just starting out and are considering actually fighting, I'd highly recommend getting some professional help. I've been after it for nearly 10 years and fighting a couple times a year for the past 4 and still drive 300 miles roundtrip twice a week to train with these guys.

You guys have to understand that wearing TapouT does not mean you are a fighter, Hell I see plenty of people wearing nike's and I bet not all play basketball...

TapouT is a brand name.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since I started wearing Tap Out...My groundwork has gotten a whole lott better!!!!!!! </div></div>

Must be the ground magic they use
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotexhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.Learn how to tap first. </div></div>

So true...

Tap or snap... Train as realistic as possible, but leave your ego at the door.

-Wil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotexhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.Learn how to tap first. </div></div>

So true...

Tap or snap... Train as realistic as possible, but leave your ego at the door.

-Wil</div></div>

Yes or it will be properly removed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Warrior Gear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Nothing, as others have said it was just a jab at the folks who buy all the tshirts to look "cool."

Actually I guess I did just that when I bought the SH tshirts a while back...
grin.gif

I wrestled in high school, have spent several years in Muay Thai, boxing, etc (Jeet Kune Do)., and about 8 years in the Gracie academy in Torrance with Royce G. as professor (was there since before the first UFC). Never had more fun than at the Gracie academy.
I would recommend you google Lloyd Irvin and get his program. It is designed to accelerate your progress regardless of where you train, and from what I've seen it looks pretty well designed.
Enjoy.

I started with Tea Kwon Do kick boxing as a kid, with street fighting techniques taught. From there I moved to Tea Kwon Do, and Arnis. With black belts in both arts, I figured I could go ahead and mix the Arnis with the Tea Kwon Do, and add knives, swords, and rifles into the mix as well. Chains came next. Somehow I see myself regressing back to high school days with chains and pipes. I vehemently denied 'Combatives' so I would not untrain what I already know
Maybe I need to get something to sharpen the edge a bit...how much was that TapouT shirt...

Stick with it leave your pride at the door. The team Roc guys are very good in all disciplines they teach. Greg the owner is a Black belt awarded by Royce. I have trained with them for a couple of years and it is worth the time and effort and hard to find a better group to teach you.

That leave your pride at the door is good advice. The guys that bring their pride with them progress more slowly since they mainly spar with guys they think they can beat. If you train with the better guys and get used to loosing without getting your feelings hurt, you will progress much faster.
Then when you do start to hold your own against some of the better guys, those victories are much sweeter. If you beat guys that aren't that good, what's the use?

1.Everyone knows a little something, some a lot more than other's.
2.Length of training doesn't overcome quality training.
3.Fag's wear Tapout shirt's.

Trained at the World Grappling federation under Gene Lebell "best grappling instructor in the world" who taught Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, many world champion's.

Trained with Gokor Chivichian "perhaps the best ground fighter ever" under Gene Lebell. He's currently undefeated against anyone he's gone against to include Gracie's, a 200-0 Mr.Maeda who Gokor broke his arm in 51 second's bla bla bla.

I trained at TQ as well with Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, Ed Herman, Matt Lindland, Chris Leben "fag" and many other's. Didn't care for the studio very much. Caught 1 to many pubic hair's in my mouth and a nasty staph infection on my knee called MRSA. In addition to that they didn't have much to offer as far as technique was concerned to people who have been grappling longer than anyone in that studio has lol.

This is why I liked Gene's house and Gokor's school. You could know everything in the world and Gene will teach you more than you could ever dream up.

Now my MMA constist of teaching monkey's how to grapple at Ft.Drum, NY and doing a few 12oz curl's here and there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonewolf'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.Everyone knows a little something, some a lot more than other's.

Trained at the World Grappling federation under Gene Lebell "best grappling instructor in the world" who taught Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, many world champion's.

Trained with Gokor Chivichian "perhaps the best ground fighter ever" under Gene Lebell. He's currently undefeated against anyone he's gone against to include Gracie's, a 200-0 Mr.Maeda who Gokor broke his arm in 51 second's bla bla bla.

I trained at TQ as well with Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, Ed Herman, Matt Lindland, Chris Leben "fag" and many other's. Didn't care for the studio very much. Caught 1 to many pubic hair's in my mouth and a nasty staph infection on my knee called MRSA. In addition to that they didn't have much to offer as far as technique was concerned to people who have been grappling longer than anyone in that studio has lol.

This is why I liked Gene's house and Gokor's school. You could know everything in the world and Gene will teach you more than you could ever dream up.

Now my MMA constist of teaching monkey's how to grapple at Ft.Drum, NY and doing a few 12oz curl's here and there. </div></div>

That's funny, I've never actually met anyone that knew Chris Leben and didn't like him. To be honest I'm pretty sure they paid him to act like a crazy drama whore on the ep of Ultimate Fighter, when I trained with him he was one of the funnest guys to train with.

I was at Team Quest on and off from 2001 to 2003 maybe early 2004. I personally sanitzed my own blood outta those mats more than once, never found any pubic hairs either.

Hahaha, Chris Leben wasn't teaching any advanced classes either to my knowledge. Did you live in Oregon when you were going to Team Quest or did you just come up for a week? If you didn't have anything to learn from Matt Lidland, Dan Henderson, or Robert Follis I'm impressed man you must be a top flight grappler.

You ought to consider a professional fighting career, it sounds like you're that good. Have you fought professionally before?

Team Quest isn't exactly set in it's ways, every couple months a different fight ala Bas Rutten, or Carlos Newton is rolling through doing a camp. Many of the fighters there have done extensive tours of other gyms and brought back with them a great deal of experiences and shared with the school.

I'm surprised that you found the training and skillset of a gym producing so few world class fighters better than one that's churning them out like a factory. Maybe you just didn't stick around long enough to pick anything up. My experiences there have been good even though it's been a while since I've stopped in. I'm sure the place has changed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Torfinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's funny, I've never actually met anyone that knew Chris Leben and didn't like him. To be honest I'm pretty sure they paid him to act like a crazy drama whore on the ep of Ultimate Fighter, when I trained with him he was one of the funnest guys to train with.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I didn't like him, and I was not in the advanced class Torf. My scheduale didn't allow it.
No I didn't care for Chris. He wanted to grapple me because I was tapping noob's. I tapped him out several time's. He asked where I trained and I explained a little. He asked why I was in the beginner class. I said it's not my fault I had to start off in your beginner class. bla bla bla. I didn't mean to make him sound like an asshole. I just didn't like his attitude once when he started punching the mat like a girl when I choke him.</span>

I was at Team Quest on and off from 2001 to 2003 maybe early 2004. I personally sanitzed my own blood outta those mats more than once, never found any pubic hairs either.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bottom line; I don't know when you were there or even exactly when I was there. I know I was there mostly when Randy was off training. I did catch Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) at that studio. I would of showered that day; but the bathroom's were disgusting and there was piss all over the toilet seat. Had to go to the hospitol and get med's for it.</span>

Hahaha, Chris Leben wasn't teaching any advanced classes either to my knowledge. Did you live in Oregon when you were going to Team Quest or did you just come up for a week? If you didn't have anything to learn from Matt Lidland, Dan Henderson, or Robert Follis I'm impressed man you must be a top flight grappler.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I never said I was in any advanced classes. My scheduale didn't alow it even know I was asked to attend. They wanted to make in instructor out of me but I had mouth's to feed at home. I lived in the tri-cities of easter WA. Had to drive a great distance just to train a little. A good martial artist never calls them a top anything. I am still a new student in my mind. I thought I was good when I went to CA because I was beating good people. Than I rolled with Gokor who toyed with me. If you "get around a little" you will learn that there are people out there that can toy with anyone at TQ. Gokor "if you know a little about him" beats everyone easily. I watched him tap Oleg Taktarov out 3 time's in under 2 minutes at Gene's house.</span>

You ought to consider a professional fighting career, it sounds like you're that good. Have you fought professionally before?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nope; never fought pro, many oportunities and still can if I wanted to. Had a chance to fight Pankration in Japan under Gokor year's ago before the UFC was big. Had a sponser ligned up and my wife "gf than" was balling over it. Started a family in the Army instead. Besides that I don't really care to fight for money. I like it as a sport but I would feel better doing it for a medal or something. Yes I do regret it at times.</span>

I'm surprised that you found the training and skillset of a gym producing so few world class fighters better than one that's churning them out like a factory. Maybe you just didn't stick around long enough to pick anything up. My experiences there have been good even though it's been a while since I've stopped in. I'm sure the place has changed.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Wasn't really a matter of sticking around long enough. I didn't care to drive all the way from WA to learn very little and contract MRSA again. That shit sucks I will tell you right now.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I don't want to come accross as an asshole ripping on TQ. They have a great deal of gentlemen and MMA there. But like me they all have a lot of room to learn. They are in a sense beginner's compared to other people out there that have been doing it much, much longer than they have. Gokor for example could take them and teach them techniquest they have never seen before. Not only that he would inprove their basic technique's. Of course he's been grappling longer than most of us have been breathing. He started around age 5 or so.

I didn't mean to make it sound like TQ has nothing to offer. Any studio like that has something to offer anyone. They have very nice people especially Dan with that stupid ass big grin he always has lol. If I get stationed in Ft.Lewis I will stop in and say hola. Other than that I am going to see if I can't get to CA somehow and train back with Gokor the God of grappling lol.</span> </div></div>

LW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonewolf'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.Everyone knows a little something, some a lot more than other's.

Now my MMA constist of teaching monkey's how to grapple at Ft.Drum, NY and doing a few 12oz curl's here and there. </div></div>

What kinda monkey's do they have at Ft. Drum?
Can't believe a soldier would refer to a fellow soldier that way, well I guess I do believe it.
Are you a Zoologist too?
They would probably be better suited being trained in Capoiera.
But, that's not grappling and they probably do not teach that at Gene's school.
I have two buddies that have taught Ranger's at Ft Benning and Hunter Air Base grappling and striking techniques.
They are not soldiers and were actually surprised at how little these "elite" soldiers typically know about fighting, but they still have respect and admiration for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LAR Dragoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kinda monkey's do they have at Ft. Drum?
Can't believe a soldier would refer to a fellow soldier that way, well I guess I do believe it.
Are you a Zoologist too?
They would probably be better suited being trained in Capoiera.
But, that's not grappling and they probably do not teach that at Gene's school.
I have two buddies that have taught Ranger's at Ft Benning and Hunter Air Base grappling and striking techniques.
They are not soldiers and were actually surprised at how little these "elite" soldiers typically know about fighting, but they still have respect and admiration for them.
</div></div>

Assumption can be a real bitch huh? Is calling someone a monkey a bad thing? If I referred to them as lion's would of it been ok with you? Are monkey's not one of the most inteligent animal's? Are they not extremely strong? You would problably no clue unless you were at my unit, to know what a monkey is in my plattoon. Just know it's a plattoon thing; and we even have a PT shirt showing a monkey holding a M240B with a cigar hanging out of his mouth; along with the names of the 2 dead soldier's who came out of my battallion Jimenez and Fouty "you might know of; they were recently on the new's" which are on the back of our shirt as well. Need more justification? Maybe we are degrading or dishonoring them putting their name's on the back of our shirt's that have a monkey on them?

Can you explain to me why being called a monkey is a such a bad thing in the first place, even if I didn't have a reason behind it? Remember; not everyone sees everything the same way you do. If someone called me a lion, I would take it as a compliment. If someone called me an Eagle I would take it as a compliment. If someone called me a rat, snake, cow, pig; I could see that maybe being a little bit different; but other's might like being referred to as such.

You problably know that Capoiera started in Jamaica right? Of course you do.
Why are you saying monkey's should be learning Capoiera? I will stop there, I don't think it takes someone with a doctorates degree in psychology to see it.

I'm one of these Monkey's so you know.

Respectfully,
LW

LW
responses to your posts, at least mine, are based on the wording of your post.
And FYI
Capoiera originated in Brazil.

I think that you may be making a few assumptions yourself...
With or without a degree in psychology.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LAR Dragoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LW
responses to your posts, at least mine, are based on the wording of your post.
And FYI
Capoiera originated in Brazil.

I think that you may be making a few assumptions yourself...
With or without a degree in psychology.</div></div>

Tack for er tjanst flata borjan,
LW

Take the bottom when you roll to learn some sweeps from the bottom then when you get say 3 tips start working your submissions its the same as any fight sport you need to learn to defend first... as for the thia fighting just keep your composure and study your opponents game counter punching and defence is what must thia is all about ow and posture up in the clinches same as how you would if you were tryna brake guard in bjj keep your cardiovascular training up it'll make training easier and you will remember more because of it ! Good luck

Looks like I've been here long ago but maybe I missed it if someone else said it. You gotta remember to remember to BREATHE. Sounds simple but most beginners end up holding their breath while exerting themselves and they will usually wear out pretty quick.

Also, don't fight so much, at least while sparring. Learn to be proficient from all positions and trust in your technique to get you through. Learn to play ball, so to speak. Breathe. Smile. Enjoy yourself. You can relax more this way instead of fighting for every position and can roll with it till your opponent makes a big mistake, then capitalize or if you are rolling with someone REALLY good (which I highly recommend), tap!

Worked for me anyway.

Have fun!

Tip

Don't get caught up in the belt color thing. I know a lot of "white belts" who can kick the spit out of a lot of "brown belts" in MMA.

The only people that I've seen wearing Tap Out gear that actually fight are sponsored.

Guys wearing this crap on the street are almost always posers...kinda like a guy wearing a Special Forces hat.