• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mixed reports on Vortex Razor AMG rifle scope

Eric B.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I have been GOOGLEing various reviews and forum posts on the Vortex Razor AMG 6 - 24 x 50 rifle scope and found that some have had problems with this scope. Yes, Vortex always promptly fixed the problems but this is disconcerting for a high end scope.

The AMG is Vortex' premium scope and I'm thinking of getting one for a long range hunting scope to sit on a 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt, likely a Hell's Canyon version.

So what is the consensus on the Razor AMG 6 - 24 x 50? Owner responses or first-hand experience (i.e. saw a friend's AMG go tits up) only please.

Eric B.

I very much like the features and think it compares very nicely to the Kahles 6-24 I have.

The tree reticle (fully illuminated) with an open dot center, locking turrets with crisp clicks, illumination switch with off in between settings, light weight, and decent zoom are all great features in my opinion.

My only wishes are that Vortex wouldn't put the elevation numbers right next to the vertical crosshair, maybe move windage to the left side and parallax to the top like the Kahles, and add a variant with a 5:1 zoom ratio and higher magnification for ELR (6-30x, 7-35x, or 8-40x).

As for the reliability, I know for quite a while Vortex was selling these faster than they could make them. There are probably a couple thousand in circulation and I at least have no idea if the failure rate is .1% or 10%. We would all love for our scopes never to break but that just isn't reality. What matters to me is that Vortex does a great job repairing broken scopes quickly and painlessly for its customers.

Reactions: Kane0519
Definitely good to go. Myself and a bunch of other guys have been shooting them a long time without any issues.

Buy with confidence.

My favorite scope out there at the moment, for all the reasons listed above. Built and serviced in USA.

I have two of them and been very happy with them. The one on the Vudoo took a hard hit on the center section of the scope, it's still chugging along like it should be!

Got 2 as well love everything about them, both run flawlessly and track perfect. Just don't over tighten turret set screws. 5-6" pounds is plenty

Had one for awhile. Really nice scope. Turrets are great, parallax is easy to set, glass is first rate, reticle is a bit busy for my tastes but not bad by any means, not anything to complain about. Optically, it's a tiny, tiny step behind a few of the much more expensive 34mm options, but it's also much lighter and much cheaper and as good or better than anything in its price range or below that I've tried. When I say it's behind, I'm mainly referring to brightness - I don't think it's really behind from a resolution standpoint (and definitely not from a CA standpoint) on the more expensive options that I've seen.

Reactions: Murph303
I replaced a Cronus with one. Fantastic optic. Worked great for me in two matches. Sold it because I didn’t feel it to be a “to hell and back” optic. That’s become my #1 priority in rifle optics. That rifle now wears a ATACR 5-25 h59.

FWIW— if I could have my NF with that ebr7-b reticle I would splooge.

I replaced my pm2 with an AMG and couldn’t be happier. It’s currently residing on my AI and I wouldn’t hesistate to take to hell and back. The turrets are amazing and it has better illumination. From here on out all my reticles will have a floating dot. Only gripe is it isn’t as clear as the SB.

I like my Vortex AMG just as much as my Kahles K624i SKMR3 and my S&B 5-25. When it was new, I was having a repeatability issue and Vortex was great about taking it back to test and calling me with the results. It turns out that the scope was good to go, it was my rings that were defective. The bottom clamp to the rail was out of spec and wasn't clamping fully to the pic rail base.

I absolutely love mine. Clarity wise, it’s every bit as good as my ATACR models. Love the turrets. Mine feels super solid as well.

I have owned three, currently own none, and just purchased one for an upcoming build. Excellent scope for the money with a lot of features at a very competitive price. Truly a crossover tactical/hunting scope vs it’s 34mm tube brothers. It seemed out of place on my AI and I only sold the ones I had previously because someone else wanted it more than I did at that time. Next build is lightweight themed and the AMG is a perfect fit in that role, hence why I bought it again.

Now @craigos, have you actually ever looked through a cock bottle? I didn’t even know what it was... I had to google it:
cock_bottle7.jpg

I have two of them and nil issues with either - great glass, they track well, light weight and they have all of the features I wanted such as daytime usable illumination, locking turrets and a parallax that focuses down to around 20 yards. You could do a hell of a lot worse than buying an AMG.

I have been GOOGLEing various reviews and forum posts on the Vortex Razor AMG 6 - 24 x 50 rifle scope and found that some have had problems with this scope. Yes, Vortex always promptly fixed the problems but this is disconcerting for a high end scope.

And if you look hard enough you'll find people who have had problems with Lexus automobiles and Rolex watches too.

FYI....I just got one last night from Optics Planet yesterday for $2088, shipped. I'm pleased.

Excellent optic. I have one of the first to hit the streets and it's still going strong and i have had it on multiple rifles. Features and reticles are top notch and add that to the lighter weight and you have a great optic set up.

As mentioned if you search hard enough you will find someone complain about anything. As you see in this thread you have one that complains but many more happy customers.

Reactions: Centuriator
Here is what I think is going on, the OP did a Google search for Vortex AMG and saw negative comments about the RAZOR AMG *red dot* by Vortex. Easy mistake to make.

Last edited:
And if you look hard enough you'll find people who have had problems with Lexus automobiles and Rolex watches too.
But honestly, you can’t find any bad reviews about cock bottles. That makes the reference even more peculiar.
If you find someone who has taken a sip and written a review let me know, because I sort of feel like...”You go first!” :ROFLMAO:

But honestly, you can’t find any bad reviews about cock bottles. That makes the reference even more peculiar.
If you find someone who has taken a sip and written a review let me know, because I sort of feel like...”You go first!” :ROFLMAO:
True

But I'm not all that anxious to review the cock bottle or sample the product.

There goes the thread. For what its worth I have an AMG and really like it. The only issue that I have had was the elevation turret stuck in the locked position. I was at a long range class and did not have a backup so I used a pair of pliers to lift the turret into the unlocked position. It worked for the rest of the 3 day class, the turret was a little stiff. I sent It back to Vortex to be checked out. No issues since. It was on my AIAT. I have since put it on a lightweight build and put a Razor Gen ii on the AI.

I owned one with an EBR-7B for about 8 months and put a couple thousand rounds through rifles using the AMG. It wasn’t abused but certainly had its fair share of use in the field. I would have no hesitation owning another.

The glass and eyebox are excellent. The EBR-7B is good, a little too busy with the 0.2 and 0.5 hash marks. Internal elevation is on par with 34mm scopes. Turrets are good but no second rev indicator.

Had one for awhile. Really nice scope. Turrets are great, parallax is easy to set, glass is first rate, reticle is a bit busy for my tastes but not bad by any means, not anything to complain about. Optically, it's a tiny, tiny step behind a few of the much more expensive 34mm options, but it's also much lighter and much cheaper and as good or better than anything in its price range or below that I've tried. When I say it's behind, I'm mainly referring to brightness - I don't think it's really behind from a resolution standpoint (and definitely not from a CA standpoint) on the more expensive options that I've seen.
My experience mimics Patriots to the T. I was one of the few to get in on the first batch of AMG's, that scope died with a loose field lens during a rare outing to Whittington, center, that sure stunk but Vortex took care of me in record time and the "fixed" scope never again had any problems. I just had a Schmidt & Bender that had to be sent back for too tight of parallax, they fixed it in record time as well, there is a thread recently where a NF went out, and others in the past with all scopes. The reality is that we live in a world that we must share with entropy and that means things are going to break down, even new things. While I might be frustrated that I paid $2k+ for a scope and it had an issue, what I'm more concerned about is how that company responds and takes care of me when the issue arises. Sure, it would be great if we knew that buying a Tangent Theta meant the scope would never ever have an issue, but that is an unrealistic expectation, and one other thing to consider especially with Vortex, they have become one of the largest sport optics organizations and sell a boat load of optics these days... the more you sell the more possibility your gear might show up with issues, as an example, if Vortex sells 5,000 AMG's while NF sells 1,000 ATACR's and Vortex has 20 scopes that needed repair while NF only had 10, work the math and you'll see that Vortex actually had a lower percentage of failure while NF had a higher percentage, but because the quantity was more you might see more chatter online and think there is more of an issue when there is actually less. Keep in mind this example was just that, it is not based on reality as no manufacture will tell you how many optics they sell and what is the repair rate on said optics, it's just something to keep in mind as to a possible answer for why you might read about a few more AMG's having an issue vs. Brand Y. In the end the AMG is a fantastic scope at a fantastic price offering optics that truly rival those costing much more, back that with Vortex's VIP warranty and it is one of the most highly recommended scopes on my list for sure!

Only on the Hide man. You're having a totally legit conversation on optics, and all of a sudden you are discussing the merits of drinking out of a dick.

I think what it signifies, is that the title of the thread "Mixed reports on Vortex Razor AMG rifle scope" kinda "sucks" in relation to the truth about the majority of the reviews for the AMG, here or anywhere.

I don't even own an AMG, shot behind one, but all I am willing to say is that the reviews seem anything but "mixed" and I have not heard such wide spread good reviews for a scope.

Here is what I think is going on, the OP did a Google search for Vortex AMG and saw negative comments about the RAZOR AMG *red dot* by Vortex. Easy mistake to make.

I have one of those on my MPX and MCX 300 pistol both have been rock solid.

Only on the Hide man. You're having a totally legit conversation on optics, and all of a sudden you are discussing the merits of drinking out of a dick.

I think what it signifies, is that the title of the thread "Mixed reports on Vortex Razor AMG rifle scope" kinda "sucks" in relation to the truth about the majority of the reviews for the AMG, here or anywhere.

Internet dickery or not, I think was Fig posted was funny as shit either way!

I don't even own an AMG, shot behind one, but all I am willing to say is that the reviews seem anything but "mixed" and I have not heard such wide spread good reviews for a scope.

Like I said, I think the OP hit a google search discussing Vortex' Razor AMG RED DOT Site. There is a flurry of hits on complaints about that.

Reactions: gac700
There goes the thread. For what its worth I have an AMG and really like it. The only issue that I have had was the elevation turret stuck in the locked position. I was at a long range class and did not have a backup so I used a pair of pliers to lift the turret into the unlocked position. It worked for the rest of the 3 day class, the turret was a little stiff. I sent It back to Vortex to be checked out. No issues since. It was on my AIAT. I have since put it on a lightweight build and put a Razor Gen ii on the AI.

Had the same issue on both of mine come to find out i over torqued the set screws, tighten to 5" pounds no issues

Reactions: Centuriator
I Traded my gen 2 for one a while ago. I was less than impressed with the clarity. After about a year the elevation wouldn't lock and the windage wouldn't unlock. Call up vortex and let them know what was going on. Sent it in and in about a week, had it back. Everything works like it should and it's a lot more clear now. Not quite as clear and bright as my ATACR F1 but close.

I just picked up another if that tells you how I feel about them.

Anybody got to use the amg for a long time and like them? I’am looking at the amg and the mark5hd. Any experience on these two optics would be appreciated.