• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mixed use binoculars

Nathan0215

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2019
Hey y’all, I’ve been searching through the forum for a bit now and have gathered a good amount of info that’s let me narrow my decision down to a few options. I’m looking for my first set of binos that I will use primarily for hunting. Currently live in the Midwest (shotgun/archery/muzzleloader only, <400 yards observation range on average), but will be moving west (Idaho, Montana, or Arizona) in the next year and a half, so would like to buy with that in mind as well. These will also be used for general nature observation/scouting and at work as well. In addition to the normal optical considerations, I want to prioritize durability as well. I’ve narrowed down my options to the following, with the prices I’m able to get on them:

Vortex Razor HD 10x50 - $885

Vortex Viper HD 10x50 - $433

Leica Trinovid HD 10x42 - $791

Meopta Meopro HD 10x42 - $490

I have only been able to look through the Leica and Vortex Vipers so far. The glass on both seemed great, but my perspective is limited and I was indoors. Out of these options, which would y’all recommend? Is the Razor that much of a step up over the Viper? I obviously prefer the price point of the Viper, but if the Razor is that much better it may be worth it. Any other recommendations (under $1k)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Reactions: Tosomt
I love Leica glass. YMMV.

Regardless, birders/ornithologist are very picky about their glass, so here is one review.

Reactions: Nathan0215
Leica. Or Kowa Genesis can sometimes be found on sale in that price range. Swaro slc are really nice if you can find a deal used and stretch your budget a bit.

I've got the Vortex Diamondback in 12X and like them a lot. They're not so expensive that I worry about field use banging around, and with Vortex warranty they're right for me. But your criteria (and budget) may differ.

These can be found in the PX on sale. There’s a version with a reticle also.
Great glass. Good price.

The Razor HD bino's have some really nice glass for the money. I have a set that I use for hunting and they have been great.