• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mixing different batches of same powder

The4GunGuy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2018
I have two 8lb containers of H4350 but from different batches. Wondering if anyone has mixed two batches to get the same "mix" across 16 lbs of powder for consistency? Just a thought.

There was a thread on this not too long ago. General consensus was yes, it’s a great idea, just mix it as best as possible to have it as integrated as you can. One fella suggested pouring both together via funnel to best mix them

Reactions: KZP and The4GunGuy
I would suggest doing another load development routine after mixing, shouldn't take much as you already have a load that you are using.

I would suggest doing another load development routine after mixing, shouldn't take much as you already have a load that you are using.
Yep planned on crono'ing it after...thanks!

How many rounds are you planning on loading? Now take the powder charge weight and divide it into the 8 lbs. So now is it worth it to try mixing the 16 lbs. of powder and getting something more consistent than the manufacture. Is the effort worth any possible reward or screw up if the mix is not good and velocities vary more than either lot of powder.

8 lbs. is a fairly large lot of powder, don't think I'd bother. Having said that I have done it with like six 1 lb containers of Varget years ago when it had velocity issues. It worked well enough for me, your mileage may vary.

I've done it. I didn't expect any problem and I didn't see any problems. I've mostly done it with the dregs from a nearly empty jug and blending them into a fresh jug. Just double check and check again that the powders are the same! You don't want a costly mistake!

Reactions: The4GunGuy