• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mixing different lots of same powder into one

LC 6.5 Shooter

Apollo 6 Creed
Supporter
Minuteman
May 29, 2018
League City, TX
Because 8lbs jugs are so hard to find for varget. Ive got about 4.5-5lbs of 3 different lots. Can I mix them all and do load development with it? That way I dont have small changes from lot to lot. The gentleman who introduced me to reloading said it would be fine and he has done it.

I refill a 1lb container from 8lb jugs because it's easier to manage. When moving to new lots I dump the little one into the 8lb, hand tumble the jug for a while then refill my 1lb.

Reactions: camocorvette
I mix lots all the time with excellent results. As a matter of fact I highly recommend it if you do it properly. Theoretically speaking, if you take multiple lots and combine them to create a single “super” lot, you’re mediating the polarity of each of the contributing lots.

That said, the actual method for properly blending extruded materials is not as simple as dumping one container into another and giving it a good shake. That will accomplish very little beyond creating layers of each lot (think about those containers of colored sand), effectively creating smaller quantities of each individual lot from the same container rather than a single mixed lot.

I worked for about 5 years with extruded polymers and resins at a previous job and by far, the best method for creating the most consistent blend is via funnel. It might seem like overkill and it can definitely be tedious, but I’ve found that this process does great to moderate lot to lot inconsistencies. Beyond that, it also helps your powder go much further without having to tweak your loads or worrying about shooting two separate lots during a match, etc.

Because 8lbs jugs are so hard to find for varget. Ive got about 4.5-5lbs of 3 different lots. Can I mix them all and do load development with it? That way I dont have small changes from lot to lot. The gentleman who introduced me to reloading said it would be fine and he has done it.
This is fine to do but...
How will you ensure you have a thorough mixture?
How will you mix to be sure no static electricity is not generated?
Once you do decide you have it mixed up thoroughly, just do the "start low" thang.

I've done this and it works fine. I mostly do it when a jug of powder has been used until there is not enough left to load up another batch of ammo. I dump the leftover into the new jug and rotate it by hand for a few minutes. Static has not been a problem.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
How do they keep away the static electricity when it on the truck? :unsure:
You mean...like the cement mixer truck as it's rolling along? Or the tractor trailer combo unit as it;s delivering sealed canisters to the LGS? Or the gay as shit Ford Raptor they drove from the LGS to the home place?

I've done this and it works fine. I mostly do it when a jug of powder has been used until there is not enough left to load up another batch of ammo. I dump the leftover into the new jug and rotate it by hand for a few minutes. Static has not been a problem.
That's true. As long as you don't do as in a thread from several years ago where some dude was mixing powder. If you use several 8 pound containers and just keep mixing and pouring from one to another, everything should be fine. It's when the genius decides to use a Rubbermaid tub or whatever the fuck that was back then that things might get iffy.
I mix my different lots regularly. Example is I have about 70 lbs of H1000 from a few different lots. I have it as homogenized as I care to so I don't have to waste rounds and barrel finding out what will work best when one 8 pounder/lot number runs dry.
Just be cognizant of the hazards.

I have mixed without issues. One way to minimize the static electricity issue is to avoid doing it in a cool dry environment. Warm moist will minimize the possibility of static buildup. For you guys in the desert, rotate the jug a time or two then let it sit for awhile berfore rotating it again. This allows the static buildup to dissipate.

Ok check these numbers out from the mixed lots of varget. Just for context.

*6dasher
*Mullerworks barrel. 10 rounds prior to today
*105 bergers seated at 0.010” off the lands
*new alpha ocd brass-just hit em with my giraud to give a little inside chamfer
*br4 primers
*mixed varget. 31.5-31.7 (.2 increments) using rcbs chargemaster

Sd and Es not great. I know of people with great results on new brass. Groups were decent though with .178” avg group between 2-3 shot groups.

Do you think the high sd es are from mixing the powders. Or just the fact its new barrel and new brass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 53
It’s doubtful, I’d look at your reloading steps. Did you at least measure your new case necks? Many times they may not be completely perfect coming out of the bag or box. Thus far I’ve always neck sized any new brass.

I’ve mixed lots, like mentioned for simply creating a single lot of 5-6 lbs or whatever. With one pounders I typically pour them together into a larger container. As in letting the two flows, flow together.

Avoid anything that would encourage stratification, and move on.

I got a new .242 mandel die and hit some the new brass with it. New brass measured .2375-.2395 on the inside. After mandrel they were .2415. Gonna go shoot them tomorrow. Should be better I hope.

How do you guys accomplish the mixing?I have 13 lbs of Precision, need to make one lot from the 8lb and 5 1lbs. I don't currently have another empty 8lb. Maybe I should just ask for one locally...

How do you guys accomplish the mixing?I have 13 lbs of Precision, need to make one lot from the 8lb and 5 1lbs. I don't currently have another empty 8lb. Maybe I should just ask for one locally...

Pretty sure that will all fit into a 5 gal bucket. Might want a bigger funnel though.

I have yet to mix full jugs with each other... All of the "rules" I learned when I started a few years back said it wasn't a good idea... And thus far the warnings have pretty much stuck with me.

However, my bench is fairly small and space is at a premium... so on numerous occasions I have mixed the "dregs" from one jug into another. So far I have not launched my gun and face into outer space.

It may be time to revisit the rules I learned in the beginning. Lot to lot consistency isn't an exact science. But I have to think a lot of advancements have been made since some of these procedures were developed 50+ years ago.

To me the biggest worry would be wonky ES/SD numbers more so than safety. Although safety is still on the radar.

There are folks here with vastly greater amounts of knowledge and experience, so this is just my uneducated opinion.

Mike

I actually considered using a run in my wet tumbler... the FA drum is rubber lined, should be minimal risk from static, which is my main concern with plastic containers like tubs or buckets. Probably not a true issue, but more than the injury concern is replacing 13 pounds of viable powder right now... 13 lbs isn't really that much, and should get me to 5k rounds. By that time maybe Hogden will figure out a viable marketable replacement for the CommieStateofAustrailya Powders...

I have a big aluminum milk funnel, so not too concerned about that.