• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mixing gas gun and bolt gun brass?

G

kwilmXSergeant
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
492 posts this site
Mixing gas gun and bolt gun brass?
01/02/2017

Do you guys keep them seperate or just clean and load for the appropriate gun I've got a jp 6.5 cm and a 6.5 cm bolt gun. I load for all my other guns but haven't run through all the factory ammo for this caliber yet so I haven't started loading for it yet.

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.8/5 this site
3050 posts this site
Re: Mixing gas gun and bolt gun brass?
01/02/2017

Youll probably want to keep them separate. A 6.5cm semi will beat up brass compared to a bolt gun. I have them both. I went to converting Winchester and now LC brass to 6.5cm to handle the beating better. Soft hornady brass really gets beat in a semi quick..

Rate now:
kwilmXSergeant
492 posts this site
01/02/2017

Thanks. That's what I figured but the lazy side of me wants to just tumble and size together.

I'm running the factory hornady eld x and getting 7-8 sd's out of ptg guns so I'm probably gonna just keep running the factory stuff because I'm lazy like that but want to keep it incase I change my mind.

Rate now:
GhengisAhn175XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.4/5 this site
2528 posts this site
01/02/2017

Keep it separate if you can becsuse you want to
Maintain sizing.

You technically don't have to especially
If headspace isn't drastically different. Doesn't matter . It won't hinder your accuracy much as long as you follow proper load up procedures. Just lose out on some brass life

As they say, your money more value

Rate now:
Elfster4321
Elfster4321.gif

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 2.9/5 this site
1332 posts this site
01/02/2017

Hell I keep my brass separate between rifles other than maybe my 223 ar's

Rate now:
DanattherockXGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.5/5 this site
605 posts this site
01/04/2017

Measuring fired cases from each will dictate much. Chamber variance. Headspace. Then decide if worth worrying about.

Rate now:
gunsnjeepsXFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
1168 posts this site
01/05/2017

I keep mine seperate in .308. Different ammo in bolt and semi.

Rate now:
smh20502XFirst Sergeant
1331 posts this site
01/06/2017

Since you're likely full length resizing I wouldn't worry about separating the brass.

Rate now:
saf3sh00t3r
saf3sh00t3r.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
1089 posts this site
01/06/2017

I keep all of mine together. It's PIA separating, brass life sucks though. I've been lucky my bolt gun shoots just as good with the same load as my gas gun. So headspace has not been an issue.
Rate now:
samnevXFirst Sergeant
3639 posts this site
01/06/2017

I shoot my 308 Lapua brass only in my TRG and AIAW. My556 brass is used in my 1 223 bolt action, a PSS, and all my semi's.

Rate now:
dondlhmn
dondlhmn.jpg

XGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
631 posts this site
01/07/2017 Last edited 01/07/2017 by dondlhmn

Danattherock wrote:
Measuring fired cases from each will dictate much. Chamber variance. Headspace. Then decide if worth worrying about.​
I can agree with this......but think about why a lot of gas guns want either full length or SMALL BASE resized brass to function best/most reliably. Secondly, I'd say it kind of depends upon what you consider to be enough due diligence when reloading (for your own mental "comfort") and what degree of accuracy is acceptable to you. I have found that with a couple of my match rifles that are BOTH 6.5 Creedmoor, rifle "A" will take/chamber the neck sized only brass that comes out of Rifle "B", but not the other way around. Can't really get the bolt to close nicely on that brass. After carefully measuring the cases from both rifles every which way I could, I found that one rifle's fired cases were a FEW ten thousandths fatter down near the webbing just above the rim area. I had to keep the brass from these two custom built rifles (BOTH of them BOLT guns and BOTH quite accurate) separate due to tiny differences in chamber sizes/dimensions which, I am thinking was caused by them being chambered by different reamers even though they we both cut to the same dimensions. I suppose that is just a good example of how manufacturing tolerances can affect things, huh?