• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

mixing powder?

MT300RUM

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2009
Kalispell Mt
Bear with me please, Now i hear alot of talk about variations from can to can of the same powder, when i reload for my RUM i only get 76 loads per pound, so can someone tell me what the problem would be if i mixed all of my one pound cans of the same powder to get one consistant powder? since i almost never load only 76 at a time, and would like to keep the re-zeroing to a minimum..

Re: mixing powder?

I do it all the time with varget. Just make sure you mix all lots completely together. No problems.

Maybe you should try getting several cans at a time of the same lot number. Shouldn't be too hard to compare them at time of purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just don't mix diffrent types of powder or diffrent brands. IMR4350 and H4350. I wouldn't do that. </div></div>
Agreed i'm talking about mixing a bunch of one pounders of RETUMBO to try to get the most consistant charge to try and keep my p.o.i as close as possible from reload batch to reload batch..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do it all the time with varget. Just make sure you mix all lots completely together. No problems. </div></div>

So do I with all rifle and pistol powder's, have for a loooong time. I even mix 5's and 8's if not the same lot.

I thought you were going to be doing some alchemy like Lapua does with the factory loads.
I need a mix ratio for rl-15 and varget

Done it myself, no problems as long as they are mixed well.

I might bear with you, but I will not bare with you. I'm just not that kind of guy.
If you're mixing different lots of the same powder, mix away and then work up the load as with any new can of powder. No problem.
Mix RL-15 and Varget? Hmmm......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might bear with you, but I will not bare with you. I'm just not that kind of guy.
If you're mixing different lots of the same powder, mix away and then work up the load as with any new can of powder. No problem.
Mix RL-15 and Varget? Hmmm...... </div></div>
Chicken.. i fixed it, ive never claimed to have a very good grasp of the english language, so until i do i'll just use Kinsman as my spell check..

I think of my powder jug in what is proabably the same way as a chef thinks of his stock pot, my W748 probably has granules in there somewhere that are close to 20 years old. It always comes home new in a pound bottle and immediately gets poured into the big plastic pickled Polish sausage jug and rolled two to three revs worth.

Different grades of powder? No.

Greg

You'd likely get more variation over time with the same propellant can than you would from two seperate lots, but that's just from variations in moisture over time. Keep your powder dry and you'll likely see little variation. If you're getting big lot to lot swings in common cartridges, you're probably not shooting powder made in the US. Gotcha!