• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MK 12 Build Scope Options?

jamescj

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2018
Utah
Hey Guys!

I'm newer on the forums. This is the first thread I am actually starting, so if I have done something wrong please let me know!

I am going to be starting a MK12 MOD 1 build. I have everything figured out as far as the actual rifle goes, on what I want to do and the parts I want to use. The only thing I have left to decide is on the optic. The optic I would like to buy is an illuminated mark 4 3.5-10. I have a mark 4 4.5-14 on my MK11. Are their other optics that I should look into? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey Guys!

I'm newer on the forums. This is the first thread I am actually starting, so if I have done something wrong please let me know!

I am going to be starting a MK12 MOD 1 build. I have everything figured out as far as the actual rifle goes, on what I want to do and the parts I want to use. The only thing I have left to decide is on the optic. The optic I would like to buy is an illuminated mark 4 3.5-10. I have a mark 4 4.5-14 on my MK11. Are their other optics that I should look into? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I also forgot to add, I don't necessarily care if its "correct" for the build. I am just looking at all my options. I figured you guys would know best!

I really like the nightforce 2.5-10 on a mk12 for a correct build. But as you stated, ifdon't mind different optic options, maybe Swfa ss 3-15 could fit that role for you

The optic most commonly seen on a mod 1 (but by no means the only optic) is the 2.5-8 MRT. 3.5-10 would be earlier mod 0 usually.
My late model Mod 0 with said optic:

Attachments

• 20180301_110431.jpg
    20180301_110431.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 39
If you don't want it to be correct then you're not making a Mk12 Mod 1.

If you want correct Mod 1 the scopes are pretty limited to the TS-30A2 and the NF 2.5-10X24. IMO after having both they're pretty meh at best. Hot shit 15 years ago, just not anymore. There's some fringe options like a 3.5-15 NXS which imo is the best "correct" mk12 scope.

Otherwise buy anything you want.

Reactions: Afkirby
I find the 2.5-10 NXS holds up well after all this time. For my use, I find the fixed parallax is actually a benefit over the M3 variable (which I also have and love) as the target is sharp from 50' to as far as I can realisticly take the rifle. The eye box is a little small, but the scopes are compact, light and very effective. Get a good 500y zero with a mildot scope and you should be able to put a 77SMK into a midsized IPSC quickly and effectively to 600y. I personally went with a 32mm NP R2, which is also very fast if not a bit thin when its dark. Still want a moa/mikdot version with zerostop. 24mm is nice but wasn't worth the $600 premium, at least not yet.

If you really don't care, just pick what you want. Most of us have an idea of what we really want to use before we ask. So, what's your idea of a perfect scope for this build and why? I like hearing why others pick what they pick, as we are all building these for our own purposes, which vary as much as our choices.

If I was putting a scope on other than a 24/32 mm compact it would probably be a 3-15 NXS F1 or one of the super shorts if budget allowed, which it never will.

I find the 2.5-10 NXS holds up well after all this time. For my use, I find the fixed parallax is actually a benefit over the M3 variable (which I also have and love) as the target is sharp from 50' to as far as I can realisticly take the rifle. The eye box is a little small, but the scopes are compact, light and very effective. Get a good 500y zero with a mildot scope and you should be able to put a 77SMK into a midsized IPSC quickly and effectively to 600y. I personally went with a 32mm NP R2, which is also very fast if not a bit thin when its dark. Still want a moa/mikdot version with zerostop. 24mm is nice but wasn't worth the $600 premium, at least not yet.

If you really don't care, just pick what you want. Most of us have an idea of what we really want to use before we ask. So, what's your idea of a perfect scope for this build and why? I like hearing why others pick what they pick, as we are all building these for our own purposes, which vary as much as our choices.

If I was putting a scope on other than a 24/32 mm compact it would probably be a 3-15 NXS F1 or one of the super shorts if budget allowed, which it never will.
Hey Guys!

Thanks!
Not correct but functions very well.20180523_202147.jpg20171014_172505.jpg
Group at 200yds. Zero at 100.
Also new here

Take a look at the U.S. Optics 1.8-10. You get a larger field of view and it's a little quicker on target than a 2.5x. USO's are very durable as well and the JNG mil reticle would be a good choice for all around use. Will be my next optic on a MK12 style build.

Honestly I would run something with more than x10. I ran the NXS 2.5-10x24 and upgraded to the MK6 3-18. I think the NXS F1 3.5-15 would sit well or the new MK5

Check out the mk12 thread here a fellow recently posted some pics of them with optics you don't see at the arfcom threads.
My thinking on these is almost any scope that is issued to any of our servicemen is OK on them since the operators that used the mk12 seemed to be able to switch optics around.
There's a lot of pictures of non correct (according to forum threads)
Optics in use.

Reactions: FatBoy