• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk 13 Mod 0 Information Thread

jmar

Supporter
Minuteman
May 16, 2017
Montana
After researching for hours on this site and others about the Mk13 I came up with a disappointing lack of information. I'd like to start a website page soon with comprehensive guides on how to build replicas like the Mk13, and since it's my favorite I've decided to start with it. When doing my research I came up with a rough draft on the guide, but I need a lot of help filling in the blanks. The goal is to have a place to go with all the information and more to make a 100% accurate replica without having to visit 5 different forums with varying degrees of accuracy.

Here's how it will work, I'm just going to go over the currently known build guide I compiled over hours of research. Below the build I will ask questions and seek clarification on many things, if you know the answer just leave a reply and I'll update the original build guide. This method should crowdfund a very accurate build guide which will hopefully get picked up by Googles search results so people have a much easier time building their replica. Please say if you see something wrong, much of it probably is, all of this info is copy pasted from various sources including some questionable ones such as ar15.com. If you want to just chime in and talk about the Mk 13 in general or add any interesting facts feel free! Thanks.

Mk 13 Mod 0 Build Guide

Action/Bolt:
•Remington 700 LA, standard blued finish, "E, B, C" prefix's
•Sako style extractor from David Tubb
•"L" shaped recoil lug with 3rd action screw
•Receiver holes changed to #8-40
•Factory trigger, older style Walker tuned to 3.5 lbs

Barrel/Suppressor
•Lilja Mk13 Mod 0 “Tactical Taper” contour, 416R stainless steel, .30 caliber, 1:10” RH twist, 4 groove, finished at 26.5”, bead blasted stainless finish
•Chamber: Match 300WM reamer designed for A191/MK248 Mod 0 cartridge using 190gr SMKs, counter bored if using the Sako style extractor
•Knights Armament SR-25 MK11 suppressor, Crane machined barrel collar with notches for the KAC MK11 gate latch

Scope Base
•McCann MIRS (0 MOA) First generation most common, “Rev B” also used

Stock
•McMillan A2, gray finish early versions and tan mid/later versions, saddle check piece with single adjustment screw, butt pad spacer system, Anschutz/Freeland rail
•Remington 700 LA BDL bottom metal with hinged floor plate and internal magazine box/follower/spring
•Harris 9-13” bipod, non-swivel, notched legs "HBLM"
•Turner Saddlery National Match leather sling

Optics
•Leupold Mk4 M1 10x
•Nightforce 5.5x22x56mm NXS “NAV-SPEC” or “MIL-SPEC”, 0.25 MOA-MOA adjustments, second focal plane illuminated MIL-DOT Reticle, Low Speed Turrets with 10 MOA per revolution, sun-shade, and a Flat Top/Non-ZeroStop elevation turret. A ZeroStop version with a beveled elevation turret was introduced post 2005ish and used on later Mod 0s and rebuilds
•Nightforce 30mm High 1.125” X-Treme Duty Steel Rings
•Butler Creek covers, NF bikini covers

Accessories

•ICC raw aluminum 52" x 14" x 4.5" case "no wheels"

Questions

•Bipod?
•Sling?
•Case?
•Scope rings?
•Barrel dimensions and profile?
•Recoil lug specs and dimensions? "pictures would be excellent"
•Bottom metal?
•Scope caps?
•What other options for the Stock? e.g. spacer kit, sling studs
•Scope measurements? e.g. MIL/MIL, MIL/MOA
•Prefix clarification
•Serial number range clarification
•Scope base MOA clarification

Other Info/Questions

Production dates? e.g. 1990-2000
Service time? e.g. 1990-2000
Number built?
Reception by users/ effectiveness?

Last edited:
Great idea one build thread would be nice.

I will add that I've been told that the first 10x scopes were duplex reticles and some/most were sent to Premier for a "football mil-dot" install. The rings were made in-house at the Crane.

I was told that the nightforce swap came when a Seal went to work for NF. Looks like that is when the NF rings were used. Mil-Spec series of scopes, mil-dot with moa knobs.

MRT dated slings , I guess any year from production would work. I've read that maybe in the late years Turner slings may have been used.

I wonder how many return stocks there will be out in the wild.

The Mod 0 had the unique recoil lug which caught my attention, otherwise it was a routine hand-built. Later variants had a thicker lug which could have been a variant on the Badger or Tubb. The stamped Remington lug was shit and would NOT have been on a SOCOM weapon.

The information thaty Jmar has posted above is "more correct" and has additional details.

Jmar, Ryan that originally sold the stocks had a few issued cases They are discussed ( pictured) in a thread here on the hide. They were ICC cases.

Lilja also told me that the barrels were 4-groove... so that is what I ordered.

Last edited:
Yes if there's already a thread about it online I've already read it, m40rilfe is where I got the baseline for the build then I went through the Mk 13 stock thread on here to fill in and change some things. There's still many questions unanswered though and a big part of the problem is that Photobucket hid all the pictures. Lets hope some of the original posters re-post the pictures here, I recommend using Imgur as an alternative to Photobucket it works really well for me. And thanks for the info so far guys I'll update the build later today!

Mr Marty from Badger Ord is a member here, if you can get ahold of him I'd wager that he has all the info on the Mk 13's out there(along with every other US sniper rifle ever used I'll wager).

•Bipod? Harris HBLM or MBBRMS
•Sling? 54” NM or NSN 1005-00-714-1245 (Alternate)
•Case? ICC Aluminum Mod 0/1 or Pelican Mod 2
•Scope rings? Nightforce 30mm High- used medium on my clone and the objective of my NF is almost touching the MIRS rail.
•Barrel dimensions and profile? Lilja Tactical Taper approx .780” at 27”
•Bottom metal? Looks like stock Remington in the Technical repair manual
•Scope caps?
•What other options for the Stock? e.g. spacer kit, sling studs The stock uses a fore end accessory rail with studs that slide into the rail Uncle Mikes I believe. I picked up a set for a Freeland rail fromBrownells.
•Scope measurements? e.g. MIL/MIL, MIL/MOA Just noticed the manual notes Mod 2 as using a 4.5-14 Leupold Mk4.
And I’’m going to say that as the dope charts taped to the return stocks are in MOA that the scopes were MOA adjustment with Mil reticles.
•Prefix clarification

I tried posting some pictures from the repair manual and a lug I have but the file size of photos of the manual exceeds what I can direct upload and like others my Photobucket account has suffered the same fate. I took the above information from the Mk13 Mod 0/1 Technical Repair Standard both by way of photos in the manual and the NSN charts in the appendixes.

Attachments

• photo86900.jpg
    photo86900.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 395
  • photo86901.jpg
    photo86901.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 279
  • photo86902.jpg
    photo86902.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 296
  • photo86909.jpg
    photo86909.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 354
  • photo86910.jpg
    photo86910.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 361
  • photo86911.jpg
    photo86911.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 402
  • photo86912.jpg
    photo86912.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 404
  • photo86913.jpg
    photo86913.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 410
  • 4379287F-6424-458A-94FB-D5209096786A.jpeg
    4379287F-6424-458A-94FB-D5209096786A.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Reactions: wyosniper
This has been done before. Step up your google-fu!

This has been done before. Step up your google-fu!

Maybe so but the thread/forum must have been deleted because I've searched for hours, I've gone through every thread on this forum and m40rilfe that contained the words "Mk 13". If you have a specific one in mind you can find it and link it.

•Bipod? Harris HBLM or MBBRMS
•Sling? 54” NM or NSN 1005-00-714-1245 (Alternate)
•Case? ICC Aluminum Mod 0/1 or Pelican Mod 2
•Scope rings? Nightforce 30mm High- used medium on my clone and the objective of my NF is almost touching the MIRS rail.
•Barrel dimensions and profile? Lilja Tactical Taper approx .780” at 27”
•Bottom metal? Looks like stock Remington in the Technical repair manual
•Scope caps?
•What other options for the Stock? e.g. spacer kit, sling studs The stock uses a fore end accessory rail with studs that slide into the rail Uncle Mikes I believe. I picked up a set for a Freeland rail fromBrownells.
•Scope measurements? e.g. MIL/MIL, MIL/MOA Just noticed the manual notes Mod 2 as using a 4.5-14 Leupold Mk4.
And I’’m going to say that as the dope charts taped to the return stocks are in MOA that the scopes were MOA adjustment with Mil reticles.
•Prefix clarification

I tried posting some pictures from the repair manual and a lug I have but the file size of photos of the manual exceeds what I can direct upload and like others my Photobucket account has suffered the same fate. I took the above information from the Mk13 Mod 0/1 Technical Repair Standard both by way of photos in the manual and the NSN charts in the appendixes.

Thanks for the info I'll update my post soon, is that an actual lug or just a reproduction built to specs? And where did you pick up that manual? I'll have to get one. If photos are causing a fuss just use this site you don't even need to sign up, just upload then copy paste the link. https://imgur.com/

It’s a repro lug from a batch Marty at Badger Ordnance did up a few years ago. Here is a photo from the internet I found a few years before the BO ones were made compared to the repro so it looks as close as can be to me. I think if you had Alan build one through HCS in the past they had some made for their builds as well. I emailed him years back about getting one but they didn’t sell them outside of complete builds.

I think I found the manual on Scribd, again years ago ditto for a copy of the M40A5 technical manual that appeared briefly then disappeared just as quickly.

Attachments

• photo86915.jpg
    photo86915.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 220
  • photo86916.jpg
    photo86916.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 186
  • photo86917.jpg
    photo86917.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 246
  • photo86918.jpg
    photo86918.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Here are some details of the accessory rail and sling studs. The rear stud is attached to the stock in the conventional manner as per any McMillan stock. Pretty sure it’s a Freeland spec rail and not the wider Anschutz dimension.

Attachments

• photo86960.jpg
    photo86960.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 194
  • photo86961.jpg
    photo86961.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 199
  • photo86962.jpg
    photo86962.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 199
  • photo86963.jpg
    photo86963.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 197
Found something regarding scope caps and it looks like a mix of Butler Creek and Nightforce bikini covers.
E7A53378-6239-42A0-A546-E7B3C537838E.jpegphoto87009.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info and pictures njohn890! I downloaded a google chrome extension that allows you to view Photobucket photos without paying them and am doing a re-read throughout the military rife thread on ar15.com and the Mod 0 stock thread here. A user on ar15 by the name of M40A5 posted very detailed info on the Mk 13 so thanks to him and njohn I fleshed out the guide much more. Still many things need addressed and scrutinized, what I absolutely don't want is to put out false info and waste peoples time and money on their builds. It would be great if some of you who are in the process of builds ask Alan Brown some of these questions the next time you speak with him, and it would be great if the Mk13 godfather USMCSGT0331 could chime in, he probably has the answers to all questions and more.

Rings were Nightforce "Intermediate" size. They made them specifically for the mk13 project to be used with the 56mm objective and MIRS. Kyle talks about using the 32x NXS in his book, so that's what I went with. Tho I sacrificed overall moa adjustment by doing so. From what I understand, the RevB is the 20moa version. That's the one with the window cutout for the serial numbers, which I have seen on a few mod0s in the wild including that infamous pic posted above. (Mod0 in the back) I ended up trading my 0moa MIRS for a RevB to make up for some of the adjustment capabilities I lost by choosing the 32x. Hope this helps, thank you!

Rings were Nightforce "Intermediate" size. They made them specifically for the mk13 project to be used with the 56mm objective and MIRS. Kyle . Tho I sacrificed overall moa adjustment by doing so. From what I understand, the RevB is the 20moa version. That's the one with the window cutout for the serial numbers, which I have seen on a few mod0s in the wild including that infamous pic posted above. (Mod0 in the back) I ended up trading my 0moa MIRS for a RevB to make up for some of the adjustment capabilities I lost by choosing the 32x.

Davey_sickboy

I have two MIRS one with a window and one without. Neither have RevB in them.
I wonder if the window was just an update or if it is 20moa without RevB written on the inside.

Attachments

• photo87498.jpg
    photo87498.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 179
Add a few more detail pictures of the laser etched bolts on some rifles....

Attachments

• 8ED41330-C32D-46B5-88E7-24823AE00E8F.jpeg
    8ED41330-C32D-46B5-88E7-24823AE00E8F.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 326
  • 35C53E6A-EC64-4082-B54A-30FD1DFC3E62.jpeg
    35C53E6A-EC64-4082-B54A-30FD1DFC3E62.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 330
  • 88083D70-51DC-4FC4-9F59-50998C99EEB0.jpeg
    88083D70-51DC-4FC4-9F59-50998C99EEB0.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 359
  • 7773164D-85EE-4DE5-98BE-5500B8415948.jpeg
    7773164D-85EE-4DE5-98BE-5500B8415948.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 401
A question about the barrel specs for the Mod 0. Is the crown recessed or is it a standard target crown? The reason that I ask is that I saw a couple of pictures of Mod 0s in a recent Google search with what looked to be recessed crowns. I wasn't certain if the recess was "in spec" or just someone taking some artistic license with a build. My understanding based upon what I've read is that it's a standard crown but I haven't been able to find many pictures that show the muzzle in detail.

Last edited:
The only crown photo I have is from a Mod 0 in the Badger Ordnance 2008 Sniper Rifle Calander. It shows a recessed crown, but that is a rifle out of Marty’s collection-which given his connections may well be a Crane/Alan Brown built gun if I am left to speculate....

863D37B3-55B7-4208-BBFD-0D7BD2063A1A.jpeg 26CEB115-941A-494D-BC84-59229AC594AC.jpeg

Reactions: jab00
Thanks for the info. I’m starting to think that the rifle that I saw in my search yesterday was most likely a Mk13 inspired build rather than an attempt at cloning it

A very random Mod 0 information question here...

...does anyone know if Crane refinished the receivers after truing them to remove any tooling or lapping compound left by the process or did would they have just left them to be covered up by whatever camo was applied in the field?

Does anyone have any information on how the MK13 MOD 0 barrels were marked? Proof stamped and or caliber etc.

It is a light step crown. The picture shows the crown on the mk13 I have up for sale. It is to the exact spec that I was told by a ex-crane armorer. Only .020 deep

That’s the Mod 5 profile barrel, correct?

Does anyone have any information on how the MK13 MOD 0 barrels were marked? Proof stamped and or caliber etc.
I can swear I had a photo somewhere that showed not much beyond a simple Circle “P” stamp but damned if I can find that photo anywhere. All I have is a left side close up of a Mod 0 from Marty’s collection which shows nothing in the way of stamps not even caliber.

FF262B5A-4676-4AF7-8961-FA8B40475900.jpeg

That said, given that all that PWS ever put on a barrel was PWS and the caliber it doesn’t seem like there’s a requirement to mark them with much data. Not like what a manufacturer selling to the public would be required to do anyway.

It is a light step crown. The picture shows the crown on the mk13 I have up for sale. It is to the exact spec that I was told by a ex-crane armorer. Only .020 deep

Interesting. I've handled plenty of Mod 5s in the navy, and I never, ever saw one like that. All of the ones I saw first hand had a smooth, no-step taper at the muzzle. The recessed crown looks right though.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've handled plenty of Mod 5s in the navy, and I never, ever saw one like that. All of the ones I saw first hand had a smooth, no-step taper at the muzzle. The recessed crown looks right though.
Would that step have been there in case the muzzle was to be threaded for a suppressor or a brake?

Would that step have been there in case the muzzle was to be threaded for a suppressor or a brake?

I highly doubt it. That looks like a Mod 5 barrel and the Mod 5 was issued with a Mk11 suppressor and didn't use a brake.

So how was the suppressor attached?
The Mod 5 barrel has two vertical notches at 3 and 9 o'clock and an index pin at 6 o'clock. The Mk11 suppressor slides over the barrel and a gate latch with two pins (that slide into the 3 and 9 o'clock notches) secures the can to the barrel.

here is a pic(pulled off web) of the mk11 can and how it attached. you just pull the bridge up. the pins come out of the slots and you twist it off the index pin and pull it off. these may not even use the index pin. note the pin on the bottom of the gas block on the mk11 mod0.

Not sure why they cut the "aardvark dick" profile into the mod5s instead of just cutting a parallel taper but it's history now.

Attachments

• 13662Mk11_Can_1.JPG
    13662Mk11_Can_1.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Features_03.jpg
    Features_03.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: jab00