• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK 248 MOD 1 = Dumb Army

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
The Army's 25 or so years too late.

In the early 80s, while running the AKNG Marksmanship unit I bought a bunch of Mod 70 Actions to make 300 WM 1000 yard rifles. I used state funds to buy the components to load the ammo.

At about the same time I was running a National Guard Sniper Program using M1C/Ds. They desided to up grade the sniper systems and I was given the choice of 1: Being issued the Model 24 in 308, or 2: Taking temp, the M21s which I could soon replace with the M-24s in 300 WM.

I figured, "Hey, a supply of Match 300 ammo for my 1000 yard match rifles so I took option #2.

Now 25+ years later and I'm out of the net, I'm reading all kinds of stories the Army is finely coming through.

Dumb army, now I have to shoot the 300 WM on my own dime.

Re: MK 248 MOD 1 = Dumb Army

They took too damn long!!

Re: MK 248 MOD 1 = Dumb Army

Kraig, always nice to hear about historical legacies. Also, just to be clear, the Army has already had some M24s in 300WM before this latest push to convert more of them. I dont know of any or many in Big Army but they are/were out there in other places.
I had one, among many other options, in OIF3. We use them on other trips but that deployment was the only one where I regularly used it. I usually just stick with a 762 M24 since ammo was much easier to acquire, or my latest love/hate favorite, a SR25 for the past few. I like it since I got quick follow up shots with lots of ammo and very fast reloads. Plus the foreward rail for NVG optics.
My 300 was a freaky accurate tack driver. I could regularly shoot 1x1" post it notes at 300m. Set in a Mac A3 with a way too light (for my preference) 1.5 trigger, I surely liked it. Shooting into winds, holdoffs are like cheating.