• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK II TR accuracy imptovements

H

haptoshoot

Im shooting a new MK II TR. i've tested 4 types of ammo and about to test 6 more folowing the test protical of; clean barrel, 10 fouling shots, then three 5 shot groups. Using 6 inch bipod and rear sand bags.

At 50 yards best group is still only 2 inches. Barrel pins are not touching wood, Played with action screw torqe to no great affect ( as I understand small groups are needed for this fine tuning. I've tried different scopes and double checked all scope hardware. The trigger is set to lightest and feels good, very similar to my 2.75lb triggers.

I shoot one hole .65inch groups with my 10/22 so i know that I'm capable, (although always room for improvement).

Assuming additional ammo testing does not create improvements ........ what should I look at next before send the rifle to Savage.

Thanks

Re: MK II TR accuracy imptovements

Have you tried any subsonic ammo? That's what mine seems to like best.

Have you tried bedding it, it is pretty cheap if you do it yourself, and not to hard. Also did you loosen the action screws instead of just tightening them. Mine likes the action screws to be a lot looser then I would have thought intuitively. Also have you tried a different scope/rings. I know recoil isn't that large on this guy, but I had a scope crap out on me one time and cause large groups on a 22. Is your scope parallax adjustable?

I would look at ammo and the action screws. I have mine torqued to 15" lb's. Mine loves subsonic mainly wolf, Nobel target, and lapua master L but it also shoots remington subsonic fairly well. I mainly shoot at 100 to 250but at 100 it is MOA and even sub-moa with Wolf or Nobel. As for the cheap stuff anything sub-sonic is decent but when you get into the high velocity stuff the groups open up considerably.

First thing I would try would be...quite cleaning it! Most "twunty-two's" shoot much better dirty. Try putting about 300 rounds through it with whatever ammo you're getting promising accuracy from and watch the groups shrink.

I have yet to clean the bore of my M2-FV and it will shoot under .5 @ 50 yards with Wolf MT and only a little worse with CCI SV target. My worst ammo (Wally World Fed 36g HV cheap-O's) will shoot less than 2" @ 50 yards on a bad day.

Sounds like shooter error isn't a huge factor...love to hear how it goes!

By the by, I'm not the only one of my friends that has this conviction about not cleaning .22 rimmies; several of my 1k fanatic friends are doing the same with their training rimfires.

Good luck,
-The Kid.

Bud, Dont know if your post is considered political, but I wouldnt risk it with the democrat joke in there, Id delete that part before the mods see it. just a heads up
-Felipe

When I say I clean between ammo what I meant was a dry patch to remove lube from old ammo and allow new ammo to treat the barrel quicker.
400 rounds down the pipe after a 100 round break in.

I've tested Wolf match, and match extra, CCI SV, Augilla, and remington subsonic.

Waiting for Lapua center x & midas +, Ely sport & match, Sk standard plus & rifle match to test next week.

I started with the front screw at 20inch/pds and increased the rear in 5inch/pds jumps

yes I've changed scopes and rings.

My two thoughts were bedding and shortening barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haptoshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...snip...
My two thoughts were bedding and shortening barrel</div></div>

Sounds like a fair bit of effort to just get it up to what would be considered standard for these rifles.
If it really is shooting as bad as you say, the above is just masking the problem.
Tried shooting off bags instead of bipod?

IMO send it to savage before spending $$$ on it. 4MOA is not really acceptable.

After your second post I would send it back to savage. It sould be shooting better than that with wolf or any of the ammo you listed. You got the lemon which is usually what I get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bud, Dont know if your post is considered political, but I wouldnt risk it with the democrat joke in there, Id delete that part before the mods see it. just a heads up
-Felipe</div></div>

Thanks for the heads up!

Sounds like a lemon to me, too.
Send it back.
Ought to do MUCH better out of the box. While bedding CAN be of use on .22s, this level of accuracy indicates some fundamental flaw.

Time for one last range trip to shoot it next to the 10/22 to insure that I wasn't having a couple of bad days behind the trigger. Then if still shooting the same Ill send it back to Savage.

Anyone here with Savage warranty experience? What should I anticipate time wise for responses and or resolution.

Thanks for all the suggestions! This site is great…..

I am having the same experience, my 10-22 shoots great groups and the mk II is barely acceptable. I think I will try bedding it next and then maybe a cut and crown. I like the mkII but mine sure is a dissapointment in the accuracy dept!

Let us know if you get your mkII shooting good.

Its been a long Journey and I finally have found a solution. I've learned much along the way.

1/2 inch aluminum pillars, glass bedding and 1/8 inch bedded bottom metal.
this tightened up the groups and then amo testing revealed it true potential.

After testing many types of ammo only one produced results....SK Standard Plus. I am lucky the $10-$19 / box ammo was less accurate. Wolfe consistently threw fliers. Odd because my 10/22 loves Wolfe and federal match. This turned out to be a very picky rifle!

If I dont' pull the shot its producing one hole groups at 50 yards. 5 shots under 1/2 inch. Cold bore dead nutz to where it groups during a string.

On windless mornings when I do my part; 25 shots into 2.5 inches at 100 yards scoring 248 to 250 on the Snipershide 100yard target.

Total cost about $60 not including my time for the upgrades. I have total confidence when shooting this rifle and it now outshoots my custom 10/22 at half the price and a bit of patience.