• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK12 (ish) 6.5 Creed Build

EscapeVelocity

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Zanesville, Ohio
So I really love these mk12s, but would love to see it in a bigger 6.5 Creed for the ballistics. So I thought, why not build one since I have a bonus check to spend.. super responsible.

I've found a similar build on here:
1A33CB13-B4DB-4836-BC28-48D1FD11D771.jpeg

It really looks awesome, especially since it's in a 6.5 Creed. I guess it's how I feel about loving an M1A but wanting it in a 6.5CM (which exists I know). So really this about just wanting want I want. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper to build it without the PRI parts, but again, what I want.

To the point: I'm trying to keep this budget "reasonable". Here's what I'm thinking on parts, you tell me if you see a compatibility problem:
-Aero M5 matched upper and lower
-PRI 308 mod 0 gen 3 handguard, flip up front sight/gas block, continuous rail
-Criterion 6.5cm hybrid barrel 18" .750
-and all the other stuff

I like this barrel length, and I've always had Criterions that would shoot.

Thoughts?

I was thinking this lately too. 6.5 manbun could really shine in an M5/AR10. My 708 M5 build is a favorite.
Maybe jump to 20" get a little more juice for the squeeze. Criterion or Wilson Combat.

Last edited:
My buddy has a full Wilson Combat build and it's great with factory ammo. I still like the 18" to keep that feel I think. I'll take a little velocity reduction.

Reactions: FredHammer
I don't think that Wilson Combat offers gas block journals longer than ~1", so the PRI gas block/sight won't work. Your gas system length is critical, along with your bolt/BCG selection. You won't have the option of an AGB with the PRI, so maybe consider an RCA BCG with adjustable gas key. Next would be the action/recoil system.

I don't think that Wilson Combat offers gas block journals longer than ~1", so the PRI gas block/sight won't work. Your gas system length is critical, along with your bolt/BCG selection. You won't have the option of an AGB with the PRI, so maybe consider an RCA BCG with adjustable gas key. Next would be the action/recoil system.
I'm pretty sure that I'm going with the Criterion, and not the Wilson combat. So I should be good with what I have?

Reactions: msgriff
I should add that you need to get the PRI gas block/sight that is specific for 308/large frames and not the AR-15 version. They will be sold as the ArmaLite AR-10 receiver height, which is the same as the Aero "DPMS high".

Reactions: EscapeVelocity
Just do a 6 arc spr profile barrel if you want the same look. As soon as you go to large frame everything changes. I have built ALOT of mk12 mod 0 and 1 clones over the years along with some similar dmr setups. They are dated as fuck, the optics are shit compared to modern stuff and they are unnecessarily heavy without good weight balance. Parts are also expensive and hard to find, especially doing a mod 1. It's your money so you do you, but wanted to point it out before you make a decision.

Just do a 6 arc spr profile barrel if you want the same look. As soon as you go to large frame everything changes. I have built ALOT of mk12 mod 0 and 1 clones over the years along with some similar dmr setups. They are dated as fuck, the optics are shit compared to modern stuff and they are unnecessarily heavy without good weight balance. Parts are also expensive and hard to find, especially doing a mod 1. It's your money so you do you, but wanted to point it out before you make a decision.
It really is the look and the performance of the larger caliber of 6.5CM. I'm not going to use the "correct optics" or really anything other than the handguard, top rail, and flip up sight. Mod 0 is the look I'm after, it's just not the caliber I want.

The 6 arc is appealing for regular frame ARs and the cost/availability. It's just not quite enough performance out to 1k that I'm after. The monthly matches I shoot have targets out that far and the slower factory speeds of the arc concern me. I know you "get there" with it, but it's not a GT or Dasher, or BR. I don't know, I could be wrong without trying it at range. I've actually had one a couple years ago when they came out but the factory barrels didn't have good enough accuracy. Maybe that's changed with more support.

It just seems like I need to go 6.5 CM without compromising performance despite the heavier/more expensive parts.

Kinda related to your thinking. I wanted a reece type large flatform AR in 6.5creed, but not sold on the idea and didn't want to drop major coin on a bundle of cool guy parts.

So I ordered up a PSA 20" 6.5creed rifle-length collapsible stock model. Cut it back to 18" threw on a APA gen2 LB. Did a light bore lapping while I had the barrel off.

Man, it is a soft shooter and dead nuts reliable and right at 1moa (or smaller) with all sorts of factory match ammo. After I get another couple hundred through it, I can't wait to see what she does with berger 130 AR Hybrids and 100V.

For the budget guys, you might keep this in mind.

Ern

Kinda related to your thinking. I wanted a reece type large flatform AR in 6.5creed, but not sold on the idea and didn't want to drop major coin on a bundle of cool guy parts.

So I ordered up a PSA 20" 6.5creed rifle-length collapsible stock model. Cut it back to 18" threw on a APA gen2 LB. Did a light bore lapping while I had the barrel off.

Man, it is a soft shooter and dead nuts reliable and right at 1moa (or smaller) with all sorts of factory match ammo. After I get another couple hundred through it, I can't wait to see what she does with berger 130 AR Hybrids and 100V.

For the budget guys, you might keep this in mind.

Ern
That's a good possibility of what I may do. I can always add the parts I want to it if it does well enough. The other part is settling for what I don't really want and end up selling it under a year.

I'm glad to hear your having good luck with what you have!

Aw hell yeah that should make the cloners' autism flair up nicely.
Haha....thats true. I don't play the clone game.

Don't get me wrong the PSA is not a top shelf ar10 by any means.....but it seems like a good base. The peripherols are cheesy and will be replaced after load work up for sure. Even with those upgrades.....I will have less than $1k in it. You can't even buy a RRA 223 varmint for that nowadays.

Last edited: