• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK12 Mod 0/1 or KAC SR15 LPR 18"

kennypowers

Private
Minuteman
I have about $2200-2500 to spend on a semi-auto gun. The purpose of this rifle will be target shooting with Black Hills 77gr OTM out to 600yards. It will be equipped with a variable power scope somewhere in the 3-15 range and a suppressor (eventually).

I've found a lot of info of mk12s and thought that's really what I wanted (built by HCS). But I saw the KAC SR15 LPR the other day and it has caught my interest but I have found very little information on the KAC SR15 LPR.

Which one would you take and why?

Thanks for y'all's input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to go wrong with ANYTHING from High Caliber...PERIOD!! The Mk12 rifles/uppers they build are absolutely THE BEST in the business and they offer the results to back that up, including phenomenal accuracy with the ammo and out to the ranges you are planning on running it. Now, with that said, their upper packages for the Mk12 MOD0 are ~$2300 while the MOD1 starts around $1600 for the basics (tack on the appropriate accessories for a "true" Mk12 MOD1 and you quickly get to nearly $2100). That doesn't leave you a lot of room for a lower to go with the upper, especially since a high quality, precision rifle trigger will run you a min. of ~$175 or so with the better Geissele triggers being north of $200 up to $275 depending on model/specs., plus you'll need a lower (stripped or otherwise) a stock, etc. Of course...that is NO MONEY budgeted for optics, mounts/rings/etc.

Now...as for the KAC...while they are fine rifles from an excellent company...they are overpriced in my opinion based on the KAC name. Now, with that said, many have reported sub-MOA accuracy with the Mk262 ammo you talking about running. It really comes down to what you personally want/need and whether you like the way the KAC is setup as it comes or if you want something different. The Mk12 rifles and the KAC LPR are quite different in many respects and only you can decide if what they offer for ~$2400 versus what other companies/smiths on the market can offer you for that same money, especially for a true "custom" AR built the way you want it versus a factory production rifle. Just some food for thought. Good luck and God speed!

I've got a KAC and I couldn't be happier. It is very accurate out to 500 (the longest I can shoot as I don't have access to a longer range). I use 77 grain black hills (colt branded). Great rifle and a ton of fun to shoot.

I say give the kac a try, it will hold its value as there are not many of those you are talking about...

see if it is a shooter, which it says they are

If not send it to gunbroker, or back to kac if it isn't up to par

and you can get it asap. there is someone at the px selling some, I think Oakland tac.

If you want the "Cool" Factor and the histroical value then I'd go with MK12 Mod 0. If you want a Jack of all Trades rifle for everything from CQB to Mid Range Accuracy then Build your own to save some $$$ or get a KAC in 16" Mid Length Gas system. KAC are pricy but they do hold their value and are very high quality rifles.

I personally like BCM or Daniel Defense as their fairly reasonably priced and are Top Tier High Grade Rifles for the money.

I think I'm just going to stay with the original plan of HCS MK12 Mod 1. I don't mind the wait and I've read lots of great reports about there work. As far as the KAC goes I don't want to be a guinea pig at $2400 if there's any doubt that I may not like it. My budget was $2200-2500 just for the rifle; not including optics, ammo, rings, etc. I also don't mind getting the entry level Mod 1 from HCS and adding on the appropriate accessories as I go.
I would still like to hear from any one who has experience with the KAC LPR

Hard to go wrong with ANYTHING from High Caliber...PERIOD!! The Mk12 rifles/uppers they build are absolutely THE BEST in the business and they offer the results to back that up, including phenomenal accuracy with the ammo and out to the ranges you are planning on running it. Now, with that said, their upper packages for the Mk12 MOD0 are ~$2300 while the MOD1 starts around $1600 for the basics (tack on the appropriate accessories for a "true" Mk12 MOD1 and you quickly get to nearly $2100). That doesn't leave you a lot of room for a lower to go with the upper, especially since a high quality, precision rifle trigger will run you a min. of ~$175 or so with the better Geissele triggers being north of $200 up to $275 depending on model/specs., plus you'll need a lower (stripped or otherwise) a stock, etc. Of course...that is NO MONEY budgeted for optics, mounts/rings/etc.

Now...as for the KAC...while they are fine rifles from an excellent company...they are overpriced in my opinion based on the KAC name. Now, with that said, many have reported sub-MOA accuracy with the Mk262 ammo you talking about running. It really comes down to what you personally want/need and whether you like the way the KAC is setup as it comes or if you want something different. The Mk12 rifles and the KAC LPR are quite different in many respects and only you can decide if what they offer for ~$2400 versus what other companies/smiths on the market can offer you for that same money, especially for a true "custom" AR built the way you want it versus a factory production rifle. Just some food for thought. Good luck and God speed!

Go LPR. The reports are solid and the platform is seasoned. I bought my first KAC 3 yrs ago. Since then, I have slowly sold all my other black rifles and replaced them with the KAC version. Not to be a ra-ra for KAC, but they are the best I have owned and /or fondled.

I would go Kac LPR all the way. Kac will hold its value tremendously, super accurate, cool factor, everything has been well thought out and engineered and they flat out kick ass. I have the Kac Mod-1 and it is awesome, super well balanced, smooth shooting, accurate, completely reliable so far. The LPR will give you just that much more accuracy.

Just an FYI, the KAC FF RAS Long as used on the MK12 MOD 1 seems to be an increasingly rare item. Not sure how this would affect availability from builders such as HCS, I'm not quite in a position to say, just food for thought. Maybe make it even more worthwhile to do a MOD 1 in that case. Personally I've wanted to build a bastardized MOD 0 in a 16" flavor for a couple years now.

No matter the route, an HCS MK12 or an LPR, would be a pretty top rifle.

A LPR is overpriced with features nobody else has but a $2300 upper isn't...

I love my LPR and my mod 1's. They're not cheap but what you get for the price is a great value. KAC really has it figured out with the E3 bolt, IWS lower, and the URX 3.1. My LPR shoots lights out. I've only got about 500 rounds through it but so far so good.mone of my mod 1's is well over 5k and has been flawless and has never been cleaned.

If you want one, do it fast or you may not have the opportunity again. Oakland tactical has a few coming in.

I have a LPR and love it. Balances really well. Sub moa for sure. I have owned a bunch of ARs and the KAC is really built well. If I was buying an AR to do mag dumps on though, I of course would not buy one with a stainless barrel ( not what most guys buy 18" ARs for but just throwing it out there). The LPR is really set up as a precision semi that can handle a mag dump on occasion.

If I'm not mistaken, HCS uses the original format Douglas barrels turned out by Barnett, just like the original SPRs did. KAC is using Krieger barrels in the LPR, turned out to their specs by Krieger. If you want a true Mod 0/Mod 1, the HCS is as close to the original as you'll ever get.

But, you started the discussion with:

"The purpose of this rifle will be target shooting with Black Hills 77gr OTM out to 600yards."

A truly good Douglas barrel will shoot with with the best of barrels. The average Krieger barrel, in my experience, will outshoot the average Douglas barrel. And the Krieger should be able to hold up longer.

Thanks for you input this is exactly the type of information I was looking for

A truly good Douglas barrel will shoot with with the best of barrels. The average Krieger barrel, in my experience, will outshoot the average Douglas barrel. And the Krieger should be able to hold up longer.

I think a lot of it depends on what you really want. If you are into the "clone" thing, then the Mk12 is the answer. However, to complete it properly, you are looking at closer to $4000 (suppressor, optics, etc). They shoot very well, but if all you want is an accurate shooting AR15, then there are much cheaper ways of doing it. I too, agree that KACs are a bit overpriced for what you get, but then again, I don't own one, so that is just my personal bias. I built my own Mk12 mod 0, and it shoots better than I can.

When I contacted them the other day they said it would be march before they had them

Just an FYI, the KAC FF RAS Long as used on the MK12 MOD 1 seems to be an increasingly rare item. Not sure how this would affect availability from builders such as HCS, I'm not quite in a position to say, just food for thought.