• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk12 Mod 0 / Mod 1 SPR Scope

Which Optic Choice for the SPR

• Total voters

RhinoDrvr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2023
Seattle, WA
Snipers Hide Data:
  • What is the platform for the scope? Mk12 Mod 0 and Mk12 Mod 1
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 5.56x45mm
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Target shooting / Introductory Long Range Shooting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, but would like options to expand into night and lowlight eventually.
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Likely 100-300m for the majority of the time. Would like to learn to shoot the SPR out to 800m
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? GWOT Vibes / I don't know what I don't know...educate me.
  • What is the price range you can afford? Up to $2500 for good glass. Would like to avoid "Made in China" etc...
I'm currently building up 2 Mk12 rifles, a Mod 0 and a Mod 1. I'm in search of an optic setup for each. I'm not 'cloning' necessarily, but I would like to stick with the GWOT-vibes of the Mk12 with a modern optic / mount. I've never shot at long range, so these rifles will be the equipment I use to learn how to shoot at longer distances outside about 100 yards.

Budget isn't unlimited; but I also don't want a cheap optic, or anything 'Made in China'. I'm looking for high quality options, but as a new long range shooter I probably also don't need a $5000 top of the line optic... especially on a 5.56mm gun. If it takes a little bit of saving to buy a nice optic the first time, I'll do it.

So here's the options I'm looking at so far.

- Trijicon Credo 2-10x36. A more compact scope, I'm considering this for the Mod 0, with ARMS 22M rings. I have a TA01NSN ACOG and love it, so I'm confident in the Trijicon quality. is the Credo of the same quality as the ACOG?

- Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42. Not as compact as the 2-10x36, but incorporates a side focus. I suspect most my ranging of targets (as I learn how to do that) would be done on the max power of the scope, so SFP isn't a game changer?

- Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42mm. Slightly nicer glass, I'm considering this for the Mod 1, with either ARMS 22M rings or LaRue LT123 rings. I gather that this is one of the preferred scopes for SPR style rifles currently? SFP as well.

- Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42mm. This seems like a much higher end scope, with FFP and many reticle options (that's a whole different topic I need to learn about). Is this too much scope for a Mk12 Mod 1 SPR / DMR type weapon? I'm guessing the ARMS 22M or LT123 rings would work here as well.

Thoughts? Don't be afraid to beat me up if these are bad options. I'd like to put good glass on these rifles so I can just focus on training with them. Let me know what worked for you and what didn't!

Reactions: simonp
Unless you are prioritizing shedding ounces, I would pick up a 4-16x42 ATACR here in the PX. I have a NF 2.5-10x24 on my AR, but have tried the 4-16x on it before and loved it. The only real con to it is weight. The Leupold 3-18x Mk5 is an optic I would like to try before grabbing a 4-16 ATACR for my AR.

If weight is a priority, the NXS 2.5-10x series is a good option.

Reactions: Cr1775 and Bakwa
Agree with the group. I have the M3 variable and the 24mm NXS but for pure functionality the 4-16x42 ATACR would be my choice.

Reactions: Bakwa
I just went from the 2.5-10x24 NXS to the 4-16x42 ATACR MIL-XT on my primary 18” AR. I really like the 2.5-10 but have been looking for something with more magnification and parallax adjustment so I’m willing to overlook the extra size and weight.

After a couple range sessions, I’m very happy with the swap. The glass is significantly better and even though I wanted the T3, I actually like the fact that the MIL-XT isn’t quite as busy.

I shoot this rifle out to 800 yards frequently so I’m running a Badger C.O.M.M. for the extra 20 MOA cant on the mount. Even though I will use the reticle most of the time, I want the option to dial adjustments if I need to. I will be using an offset red dot and I prefer the offset mount the C.O.M.M. offers.

CA15C2B5-B9C1-433C-AC73-09A37F7E17A3.jpeg

Reactions: Bakwa
Leupold mk5 3-18 is an option. Plus it's somewhat clone correct as they've been seen on the sniper comp rifles (some of the last mk12s in use if I'm not mistaken).

Screenshot_20230213-135622_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: NHPiper