• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk12 Mod 1 Build Progress

cjs88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    Who knows when the correct KAC handguards will be available again. I don't plan on doing this build until next year so I have time for the KAC ones to come back, but I just want options in case I miss an in-stock notification. Are there any comparable handguards to the KAC ones any of you have used for a Mod 1 clone build?

Turning this in to build progress. Build will slowly take place and be done next year. See first, well second, part at the bottom.

Last edited:
    Not 100% but Larue looks pretty close I guess if the KAC can't be snagged. Would need the panel things though.
    1660823055574.png

1660823075789.png

Last I heard, they had planned to do a run of them late last year. I don't think it ever happened then shortly after they halted the civ sales.

I wouldn't count on them being available any time soon. You will likely have to buy and part out a whole rifle just for the rail. My extra 99167 only cost me about $300 going that route.

Well, I guess I'll get the similar looking Larue handguards. 99167?

It refers to the KAC part number of the RAS you’re looking for (for the mk12 mod1) - see your post with the rail pic above and link below

Reactions: shlouf
    Ah. Just bought the panels. Hopefully the handguards come in stock at some point.

they're out there to be had for non-retarded gunbroker prices, you just have to be dilligent. I see you're in TX, keep an eye on TxGunTrader. Mod 1s pop up on there from time to time.

The Larue is a good rail, but it's hard to call a MK12 a mod 1 without the KAC rail.

Reactions: Thorbeast
    they're out there to be had for non-retarded gunbroker prices, you just have to be dilligent. I see you're in TX, keep an eye on TxGunTrader. Mod 1s pop up on there from time to time.

The Larue is a good rail, but it's hard to call a MK12 a mod 1 without the KAC rail.
    I'm on just about every notify me list I could find haha.

I believe the SDM-R used a rail that looked very similar. Might have been a DD.

Who knows when the correct KAC handguards will be available again. I don't plan on doing this build until next year so I have time for the KAC ones to come back, but I just want options in case I miss an in-stock notification. Are there any comparable handguards to the KAC ones any of you have used for a Mod 1 clone build?
    Create an account and start watching gafs. Only buy from members with documented feedback. A lot of good deals get posted often.

Right now, and for the last year, most anything from Knights has been hit or miss, and mostly miss on availability. @cjs88 pointed out that the LaRue is very similar in design. We just launched a "near clone" premium offering of a Mk12 Mod1 upper receiver with this architecture, and it is a good choice. You can take a look at what we have designed, with our partners, whether you choose this or build your own. Our upper relievers are fit to the Allen Engineering suppressor and tested, which I think gives the shooter a little extra reassurance, but there are those who like to build all from parts, and we respect that as well.

Mk12 Mod1 Near Clone Premium Upper Receiver Group

Mk12-0100__97533.jpg

Note: we also have the complete Mk12 Mod0 and Mod1 coming soon in full deployment cases with all the trimmings and full rifles, and also have options for correct optics and suppressors. This is not meant to be a commercial, but for those interested, you can contact me by DM. As always, we try to take care of our friends at the 'hide. I am also more than happy to help any DIY'er with ideas, advise, and some parts.

Ever on the lookout for the handguards but I snagged this holy grail.

Attachments

• 6F4F7740-AE7F-4636-A8DA-D6F552844DD7.jpeg
      6F4F7740-AE7F-4636-A8DA-D6F552844DD7.jpeg
      440.5 KB · Views: 89
    Reactions: JS8588
    Lower assembled. RRA overmolded A2 on the way to replace the fde b5 and black A2 is coming with my pri mod 0. RRA lpk and larue 2S mbt.

Attachments

• 6E471D62-E555-4878-86FE-914C97B98288.jpeg
      6E471D62-E555-4878-86FE-914C97B98288.jpeg
      357.9 KB · Views: 99
    • 938CF5CE-1F06-4706-96DE-1EEA480A9C6C.jpeg
      938CF5CE-1F06-4706-96DE-1EEA480A9C6C.jpeg
      374.3 KB · Views: 52
    Reactions: jd138
    Haha just make that WTB ad. I had one up and got it. I’d hold out and get this rail before I used a larue.

I bought the Midwest Industries Combat T series handguards today for it. If they're good enough for Charlies Clones, then that works for me. Got a 12.625" and 10" for less than the KAC.

Reactions: GhostFace
    Yeah that looks nice but at the end of the day I think you would be happier with the real deal. That’s what makes it a mod 1.

Was getting white oak barrel for it anyways, so it wasn't every going to be accurate. Plus, using RRA lower and upper since Colts aren't available.

Both yours? I know the larue rails are almost identical and so are Midwest industries.
    Yes.

The MI handguard has a completely different mounting system than the KAC and Larue.

Yes.

The MI handguard has a completely different mounting system than the KAC and Larue.

Nice. I had ordered the Larue ones but Midwest was having a 20% off sale today. So I got two for $60 more than the one Larue. And no wait lol.

Reactions: GhostFace