• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk12 Mod1 Range Report

Birddog1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Peyton, Colorado, USA
Overall, not a bad day at the range. The wind was a bit cool. Temp. averaged at about 56 degrees or so, wind mostly at 7 o'clock, from 5 to 15mph. Very sunny, with some light clouds popping in every now and then.

The thing that made load testing the worst was that as I was leaving the house, I tipped over my cartridge case. Two rounds out of each load I was testing came out, and got mixed up! I think that I got them back in their place, but who knows. Won't make that mistake again!

All loads used Privi brass, CCI 400 primers, 77grn SMK, and Ramshot TAC powder.

First, 23.5 grns TAC powder:
Jan2011043.jpg

Next, 23.7 grns:
Jan2011044.jpg

Next, 23.9 grns. This group just didn't feel good:
Jan2011045.jpg

Finally, 24.1 grns:
Jan2011046.jpg

Overall, happy. I think I'll play with 24.0 and 24.1, see which I like best. Unfortunately, I'm out of a chrony right now, so I don't know velocities. Hopefully that will come very soon.

Re: Mk12 Mod1 Range Report

Birddog, when running SMK's, you'll never know your loads true best unless you lite it up with a match primer. Try some CCI BR4's. I bet a couple of those loads wil cluster up tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: danrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Birddog, when running SMK's, you'll never your loads true best unless you lite it up with a match primer. Try some CCI BR2's. I bet a couple of those loads wil cluster up tight. </div></div>

BR2's are a tight fit dont ya think ?

O.P. Try 24.5 gr rl15..

Thaks for the tip. I'll have to try that. Question is, should I just see how 24.0 and 24.1 do again, then try the primers? Or just get the primers and go for it. I like to be able to analyze any changes made and how they affect accuracy, instead of changing multiple parameters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Birddog1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thaks for the tip. I'll have to try that. Question is, should I just see how 24.0 and 24.1 do again, then try the primers? Or just get the primers and go for it. I like to be able to analyze any changes made and how they affect accuracy, instead of changing multiple parameters. </div></div>

Your primers are fine,I have used wolf,CCI 400,450mag,fed 205m and all had zero effect on my load..I use 24.5 RL15 and shoot lights out ..

I have a WOA 18" WYLDE 1-7 SPR

200 yards in windy conditions..I used mixed brass WCC,LC,RP on this day..

I usually do load development in .3-.4 increments. Usually you will find one or two tighten up as you progress and you work with those further. I don't believe you'll see any difference in .1 gr. And if your looking for an accurate load, match primers=accuracy.

Interesting post. I've recently had a new upper put together and ran a very similar test. I went with TAC because according to my reloading manual it had the highest muzzle velocity. I used LC brass, #41 CCI primers, 77 SMK and loaded from 23, 23.3, 23.5 and 23.7. I had very similar results as the OP. My upper is composed of a VLTOR upper and WOA 20" DMR barrel. While not terrible groups I was hoping for something more like ASM-1's groups. Given what I read here I will give it another shot using RL-15 and BR primers. I also tried the Hornandy's 75g BTHP with similar results. Please keep us posted.