Mk13 mod 5 builder/smiths?

Wilderness

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2020
Houston TX
I started another project and am hoping to save some time cruising the threads. Does anyone have a current build out there that could direct me to a good source for my barreled action work?

I heard a good review about Red Bull armory through “inferior rifles” YouTube channel, and I have seen a few outdated recommendations who may or may not take on additional work or are indefinitely backed up. I’m looking for a decent price,turn around time, and accurate work. I fully understand you get what you pay for and you don’t rush perfection.

My kit came from the the badasses at Thoroughbred Armament and my Remington Sendero is currently place holding so I can still have fun with the chassis. The Lilja barrel is on the way and Stiller just sold out of actions. I may settle on a Remington action. Anyhow, I appreciate any leads and here are some photos. Also, I cleaned up the pelican case and found some interesting names, #’s, and info underneath krylon. Very cool. Any leads on mk13 stiller actions also appreciated.

Attachments

• BCEA326F-E289-41B8-96BB-95EF8EAC5A65.jpeg
    BCEA326F-E289-41B8-96BB-95EF8EAC5A65.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 432
  • 8744C226-DED8-4402-ABC0-D8CF79AE27D6.jpeg
    8744C226-DED8-4402-ABC0-D8CF79AE27D6.jpeg
    956 KB · Views: 335
  • 826F055C-21D7-4BDF-B333-8761944D1904.jpeg
    826F055C-21D7-4BDF-B333-8761944D1904.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,517
Last edited:

Riverlife87

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
What did you use to remove the paint. Id like to see whats under mine as well. Ordered my stiller about 8 weeks ago and they were 8 weeks out then. Still hearing another couple weeks

Wilderness

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2020
Houston TX
First I rinsed the exterior of the case with water, dawn soap, and a scrub brush to get all the fine dirt off and then some Home Depot microfiber rags to dry. I used some gel stripper and a drywall knife to scrape off the outside. Use the stripper sparingly and try a razor knife to scrape for fine work. The marker and pen marks started showing up underneath the bubbling krylon slowly. Don’t rub or the markings may disappear. I found that a light scraping and thin stripper coating worked best. Maybe start with mineral spirts or paint thinner? Any one know what “IRBY 300” would mean?

Wilderness

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2020
Houston TX
Same process with the stock. It arrived super salty looking. To be honest I was a bit disappointed, as it was caked in paint, dirt, and gunk. I completely disassembled every piece screw by screw and used paint stripper and goof-off followed by some gun lubricant I prefer. Lo and behold, a new AICS stock was underneath! I’m so glad I picked one up. Waited to the very end and scored. I had been on the fence for months….

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: USMCsean

Riverlife87

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
Pm in bound
First I rinsed the exterior of the case with water, dawn soap, and a scrub brush to get all the fine dirt off and then some Home Depot microfiber rags to dry. I used some gel stripper and a drywall knife to scrape off the outside. Use the stripper sparingly and try a razor knife to scrape for fine work. The marker and pen marks started showing
up underneath the bubbling krylon slowly. Don’t rub or the markings may disappear. I found that a light scraping and thin stripper coating worked best. Maybe start with mineral spirts or paint thinner? Any one know what “IRBY 300” would mean?

Temper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2011
FL
LRI has built a lot of Mk13's. Chris Higgins at Red Bull Armory worked at CRANE and worked on the real Mk13's. I've been sitting on my parts for about two years and those are the two shops who keep coming up the most recommended.

nn8734

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Feb 26, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    I started another project and am hoping to save some time cruising the threads. Does anyone have a current build out there that could direct me to a good source for my barreled action work?

I heard a good review about Red Bull armory through “inferior rifles” YouTube channel, and I have seen a few outdated recommendations who may or may not take on additional work or are indefinitely backed up. I’m looking for a decent price,turn around time, and accurate work. I fully understand you get what you pay for and you don’t rush perfection.

My kit came from the the badasses at Thoroughbred Armament and my Remington Sendero is currently place holding so I can still have fun with the chassis. The Lilja barrel is on the way and Stiller just sold out of actions. I may settle on a Remington action. Anyhow, I appreciate any leads and here are some photos. Also, I cleaned up the pelican case and found some interesting names, #’s, and info underneath krylon. Very cool. Any leads on mk13 stiller actions also appreciated.
    I’m waiting on my stiller mk13 action from Stiller (8-10 week backlog, ordered in early Nov) then will be sending my parts to LRI. Also grabbed a kit from T/A.

LRI built my previous mod5 on a 700 action and did an awesome job. The thing would launch 220 smks at 3000fps and stack them on top of each other at 500m. I stupidly sold it a couple years ago so now building a stiller-based version.

Here’s the remington based mod5 i used to have. I still have the scope, rings bipod etc.
    FBFB72B6-1187-46F2-99A9-74E776AB4DB6.jpeg

Riverlife87

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 17, 2017
    Nice! Hows the performance of the mk11, mines on a form 4 never used one first hand.

I think I ordered my Action early October so nothing yet. in the same
    Boat.

I’m waiting on my stiller mk13 action from Stiller (8-10 week backlog, ordered in early Nov) then will be sending my parts to LRI. Also grabbed a kit from T/A.

LRI built my previous mod5 on a 700 action and did an awesome job. The thing would launch 220 smks at 3000fps and stack them on top of each other at 500m. I stupidly sold it a couple years ago so now building a stiller-based version.

Here’s the remington based mod5 i used to have. I still have the scope, rings bipod etc.View attachment 7756087

Reactions: nn8734

nn8734

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Feb 26, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Nice! Hows the performance of the mk11, mines on a form 4 never used one first hand.

I think I ordered my Action early October so nothing yet. in the same
    Boat.
    Thanks! IMO you cant shoot it without the can (well, you can but it sucks). The mk11 can is built like a tank and tames the recoil down to an unbraked 30-06 shooting a light bullet.

Also makes my mk11 Mod 0’s recoil much softer as well.

nn8734

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Feb 26, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yea man, its an awesome platform in all reapects. One of my two favorite bolt guns of all time (m40a5 being the other).

Riverlife87

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 17, 2017
    Did you have a match chamber or the A191 in your old one?

Riverlife87

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 17, 2017
    Im back and forth between a match chamber or throated for the high bc heavy bullets. Trying to weigh the pros and cons. Leary of shooting a ton over 3000 fps and shooting the barrel
    Out a couple Hundred rounds sooner than say putting just black
    Hills through it.

Wilderness

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Sep 28, 2020
    Houston TX
    Received my Lilja barrel and ended up purchasing a new Remington LA multi-cal receiver. Going to go that route. The prefix isn't something super important to me. I may upgrade to the stiller between now and whenever I find a builder, if they come back into stock, but waiting 8+ months would suck! Go figure, the badger extractor for .300 WM is now sold out across the web.

Reactions: Riverlife87

nn8734

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Feb 26, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Received my Lilja barrel and ended up purchasing a new Remington LA multi-cal receiver. Going to go that route. The prefix isn't something super important to me. I may upgrade to the stiller between now and whenever I find a builder, if they come back into stock, but waiting 8+ months would suck! Go figure, the badger extractor for .300 WM is now sold out across the web.
    Stiller is running at appx 4-6 weeks on Mk13 receivers. Check with LRI as they may have some m16 extractors in stock for when you send it in (assuming you are going to use them). Same for Redbull Armory

Riverlife87

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 17, 2017
    I just reached out to stiller hoping in the next 3ish weeks I may get lucky and get mine. Coming up on week 10

Beasler1

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Oct 12, 2020
    I had Chris Higgins at Red Bull build my Mod 5 this past summer. Awesome dude and amazing work. Only way to tell it's a clone is to trace the serial number. Barrel stamps and everything are perfect. I would not hesitate to go to him again.

RWSGunsmithing

Gunny Sergeant
    Commercial Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2006
    Manning, Iowa
    www.rwsgunsmithing.com
    Done several.

Attachments

• DSCF3432.JPG
      DSCF3432.JPG
      753.9 KB · Views: 155
    • DSCF3580.JPG
      DSCF3580.JPG
      683.7 KB · Views: 169
    • DSCF3641.JPG
      DSCF3641.JPG
      841.6 KB · Views: 155
    • DSCF3667.JPG
      DSCF3667.JPG
      737.7 KB · Views: 151
    • DSCF3650.JPG
      DSCF3650.JPG
      682.5 KB · Views: 143
    • DSCF3813.JPG
      DSCF3813.JPG
      816.7 KB · Views: 136
    • DSCF3814.JPG
      DSCF3814.JPG
      776.4 KB · Views: 137
    • DSCF3802.JPG
      DSCF3802.JPG
      839.4 KB · Views: 153

Thesepaperwings

Guy talking too much at the range....
    Minuteman
    Jan 25, 2021
    Kansas City
    Perry Precision has done them and I think he might even have one for sale. I actually have a prefix correct 700 action that I was thinking of using until I decided it wasn't my thing.

USMCsean

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 22, 2014
    Ohio
    What did you use to remove the paint. Id like to see whats under mine as well. Ordered my stiller about 8 weeks ago and they were 8 weeks out then. Still hearing another couple weeks

If you'd like to trade for a cleaner issued version, please let me know.

PSG1Nut

Habitual Full Auto FUN
    Minuteman
    Dec 18, 2021
    FL/NC
    Those are beautiful. Red Bull did my build as well. I have a Mod 3 and a Mod 5. If T/A has more kits I may build another A5.

Babyduck

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 20, 2020
    Hello all. I am also on the Mod 5 train with a kit from T/A. I have everything but the trigger and am in the line for my Stiller as well. Tracking down an XTSP is proving to be the most difficult part.

Wilderness

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Sep 28, 2020
    Houston TX
    A buddy of mine purchased a kit from TA and his came with the trigger. He replaced his factory remington with the XTSP model 22 and said it was garbage. He sold the rifle soon after. I've never squeezed one and will most likely deviate from clone spec and run a Giselle or Triggertech.

Babyduck

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 20, 2020
    A buddy of mine purchased a kit from TA and his came with the trigger. He replaced his factory remington with the XTSP model 22 and said it was garbage. He sold the rifle soon after. I've never squeezed one and will most likely deviate from clone spec and run a Giselle or Triggertech.
    I am thinking of going with the Mod 7 trigger, the Geissele also. Just seems like a better decision and isn't totally off the mark for being close to correct.

Riverlife87

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 17, 2017
    I am thinking of going with the Mod 7 trigger, the Geissele also. Just seems like a better decision and isn't totally off the mark for being close to correct.

Has anyone seen em in stock recently?

mewillis

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Aug 29, 2002
    Florida
    The only Mod 5 I ever saw was at a SOCOM display the day the picture in my avatar was taken at MacDill AFB, it was
    a factory Remington LA with a standard bolt knob, I can only assume it had a Lilja barrel. I was unable to get any other info about it but it stood out to me. The SEAL in the booth just smiled and shook his head when I asked if he could tell me more about it, no talking allowed I guess LOL;)

Wilderness

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Sep 28, 2020
    Houston TX
    It's been a few weeks, and I've been making some progress. RWS Gunsmithing was shipped my action and barrel and to pass the time, I've been on a scavenger hunt for the other missing pieces of the deployment kit. I saw a few photos of the deployment cleaning kit and have been cross referencing old nsn numbers to track down the miscellaneous pieces. I found a Dewey cleaning rod, flexible bore rod, LA cleaning guide, fat wrech (seller sent me the new one), drive extension, bore snake, ACU molle pouch, assorted brush ends per list. Basically all sourced from Ebay. I'm still on the hunt for the correct 75ml bottles, Ktools 1/2" wrench, mk13 combo tool (marked or not).

I also picked up a Nightforce scope and rings. I sold off my Leupold MkV HD to a friend to pay for this, and I'm certainly sad to see it go. The glass was spectacular.

Actively searching for a 20 moa Mars or Nightforce A135 scope base. Any leads appreciated. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• mk13.jpg
      mk13.jpg
      135.6 KB · Views: 115
    • mk131.jpg
      mk131.jpg
      110 KB · Views: 92
    • mk132.jpg
      mk132.jpg
      137.1 KB · Views: 103

Wilderness

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Sep 28, 2020
    Houston TX
    Here a ktools wrench if anyone is looking for one. eBay.

Riverlife87

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 17, 2017
    Are most people still going with a mod 1 chamber? Have some mk248 mod 0 and some FGMB 215s, would like somthing that would be half ass decent for both.

Wilderness

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Sep 28, 2020
    Houston TX
    Thoroughbred seems to have been off and on (out of stock)for a few months now. I wonder if the kit days are over. There’s got to be a finite amount of deployment kits ever produced. Very glad I got mine back when…unibtanium.

Wilderness

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Sep 28, 2020
    Houston TX
    The project has not been abandoned. The barreled action should be arriving from RWS this weekend. I’m exited to say the least. It’s been pretty fun sourcing the specifics over the last few months. A Mk11 suppressor and a sling would be the last boxes to check off, but it will be a while.

Riverlife87

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 17, 2017
    Im right behind you bro, my whole rifle is at redbull armory, im at month 9 on my form 4 for my mk11. Just need the sling

Riverlife87

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 17, 2017
    Haha yea i see that one. Since everything is moving so slow im gonna wait out maybe TAC will get more. I really want the LBT one over the eagle anyways.

Wilderness

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Sep 28, 2020
    Houston TX
    Bore sighted and trigger swapped out to a gieselle 2 stage. I’m extremely happy and impressed with RWS Gunsmithing. Barreled action turned out flawless. I cannot wait to take this to the range and I’m already itching for another project.

Anyone know what the mod was on the chassis for Giessele triggers? The trigger fits and functions fine, but something on the AIC chassis is blocking the bolt stop lever from engaging the bolt. Im guessing I need to file something on the left for clearance. The bolt stop just drops freely not stopping. There was no issue with the factory Remington trigger, but the 27lb pull had to go.

Per TBA:
    *Note some chassis may have machine marks around action/trigger area. Three types of triggers have been used. Remington, XTSP and Geissele. Some had clearance issues and required that mod. It doesn’t effect anything”

Wondering what it was…