• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk18 10.3” 5.56 AR as a SHTF truck gun?

heronblue7

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2019
Do I want to build one of these as a truck gun?

I was thinking it might be good to carry along in my vehicle if there is a threat of serious riots or political violence next fall.

Reactions: Constructor
Do I want to build one of these as a truck gun?

I was thinking it might be good to carry along in my vehicle if there is a threat of serious riots or political violence next fall.
Yeah 10.5 is about as short as you can go with a carbine gas system.

Yes, absolutely you do. I put it off for a long time because I didn't think I'd enjoy such a short little gun that much but the 10.5" I put together may be my favorite now.

With a law folder, sba3 pistol brace, 10.5" barrel … it fits very nicely into a vertx gamut pack

Go with 11.5" for better reliability.

This is what I did. 11.5” BCM MCMR upper with DD fixed iron sights and a TLR-1HL make for a streamlined, KISS “pistol” I keep in my truck. Easy coyote medicine too with a 20rd mag full of 50gr VMax’s.

Reactions: Jameson1
I was thinking 10.3” could be fired from the drivers seat if you had to deal with a road block or ambush.

I could see this as a potential nightmare scenario if militant commies/anarchists become a serious threat next fall.

If I’m stuck at work and need to get through a communist roadblock to my wife and baby...

I was thinking 10.3” could be fired from the drivers seat if you had to deal with a road block or ambush.

I could see this as a potential nightmare scenario if militant commies/anarchists become a serious threat next fall.

If I’m stuck at work and need to get through a communist roadblock to my wife and baby...
I would suggest 11.5", as Centuriator said. SBR it, flattop M4 receiver, A2 lower. Fixed or folding front iron sight/gas block, folding rear BUIS, red-dot sight if you want one. XM177-style carbine stock but you can always change that; XM177 is just one of the plainest simplest one you'll find. A2 flash hider or something suppressor-capable if you're leaning towards that; an XM177 moderator without the sound-suppressing capability is a good alternative if you're not sure that you like the short barrel after all. It'll give a little more distance between you and the muzzle.

Here is why 11.5" is a better choice for SBR's, particularly DI ARs.

So a guy that wrote an article praising the perfect gun he built? Wonder if the article would have said the exact same thing if the barrel length had been any different. There are 10s of thousands of 10.5" rifles out there, all it takes is porting the barrel correctly for the combination of carrier weight, buffer weight and spring force. Velocity loss at that length is apx 30-40fps/inch. The gas pressure at the carbine length port is exactly the same.

An ambush? Communist road block?

For serious threats like that, you should at least do a 338.

So a guy that wrote an article praising the perfect gun he built? Wonder if the article would have said the exact same thing if the barrel length had been any different. There are 10s of thousands of 10.5" rifles out there, all it takes is porting the barrel correctly for the combination of carrier weight, buffer weight and spring force. Velocity loss at that length is apx 30-40fps/inch. The gas pressure at the carbine length port is exactly the same.

You either get it or you do not. :)

You either get it or you do not. :)
I've been building ARs as a business since the late 80s ...I get it, maybe you don't. I think I was the first to start testing mid gas 12.5" barrels around 2010, now they are our second most popular barrel only second to the 16". That little gas port controls everything, sure the muzzle can't be 1/2" in front of it but a 10.5 carbine gas and a 12.5 mid gas run fine.

Last edited:
Cool story.
I let you go blowing by yourself.
IMG_0728.JPG

Read his pistol shooting post. So close I’m amazed he does not burn holes in the target.

Because BCM is a hack outfit and does not know what they are doing so the reason they advocate for 11.5" AR SBR barrel length can not possibly be correct...according to a person who competes with BCM?

Reactions: Docsherm
I used almost exclusively a 11.5. Zero problems and you need as much velocity out of a SBR as you can especially when being stuck using M193/855.

The real question with SBR's isn't the length, its what ammunition you're using. Unless you buy/reload something like the 64g Nosler that isn't dependant on fragmentation, your terminal ballistics threshold is under 100 yards.

I really don't compete with BCM. I have a very narrow window of high performance barrels I sell and 75% or more aren't 5.56s, many are wildcats.
Just because you haven't done it doesn't mean it doesn't work. Just because you read one article doesn't mean that is the holy grail. Some people do things, others read about people doing things. It's the same BS when people argue about calibers. Most have never used the caliber they are arguing that isn't worth a shit. Funny and entertaining for a while BAF when it goes on for 10 years.

Last edited:
I drive a 9000lbs 4x4 diesel suv.....I will be fine.

More importantly; where in the ever living hell are these SHTF douchbags coming from lately??? This was the last saving bastion from that nonsense until now!

bench

Strikes me as a masturbation fantasy. That's about it.

Reactions: Centuriator
For a shtf truck gun, nothing less than a Barrett m82 with bump stock will do.
you know, you are really at a disadvantage with the Barrett to the unreasonably slow rate of fire....begging to get smoke checked!

no sir, a Browning M2 is a good starting point and nothing less would be safe, or enough.....its down right disrespectful to the constitution or ARF to use anything less!

Chris costa im sure would find a way to C-CLAMP one if enough Asians had cameras.

bench

First of all, this argument that an 11.5” is better or more optimal over a 10” is totally shit. Makes zero difference!

Now, to answer the OP’s question. Fuck yes you should make one for a truck gun. A few years ago I picked up a Daniel Defense MK18 that has been my everyday battle rifle and I’ve used and abused the shit out of it. I love it so much that when I decided to build a “truck gun” about a year ago a went with the exact same rifle and put a folding stick on it. I started with the pistol version so that the upper and lower and all that shit was the same and then when my form 1 came back o added the folder. I supposed you could just put a folding pistol brace on it but I’m privy to the full blown. SBR. Nothing fancy, the only thing I did was added a Geisselle trigger and threw my favorite red dot on top and good to go. Fits nicely in a backpack when folded and as long as you don’t put it in a “tactical” bag with Molle and dumbass morale patches on it then nobody would think the wiser. I fold mine up with a belt that has a couple mag holsters and my Glock 19x and it all fits nicely into the bag but of the shit ever does go down I can get to it quickly and will be well prepared.

For a shtf truck gun, nothing less than a Barrett m82 with bump stock will do.

Expand that one further, if your shtf truck is smaller than an MRAP you're doing it wrong... LOL

Chris costa im sure would find a way to C-CLAMP one if enough Asians had cameras.

HA!

for the OP question, I love my 10.5" SBR, I've had to use adjustable piston gas systems and carbine buffers on a 300BLK to get it to cycle right with subsonics unsupressed but the parts are out there to make it run like a top... we're not in the good ole days of fixed size DI and A2 buffers. I wouldn't go with 556 but I like big bullets and have the ability to make all the 300BLK I could ever shoot, so I don't care about ammo.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
You’re accusing me of being a troll?

What just happened in Sonora Mexico this week?

If you think that couldn’t happen in El Paso, Houston, or Tucson you are delusional.

Having a truck gun for SHTF is a prudent consideration.
jesus christ lol

So, you are not dellusional in it happening....just thinking you will survive lol

bench