• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

mk20 MOD 0 Sniper Support Rifle

Country Boy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Didnt know where the best place to post this would be.
SSR_2010.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eRPHqoaA9gE/TQgrH7HHFeI/AAAAAAAAALw/zKkE0RZLf5g/s1600/SSR_2010.JPG
The U.S. Special Operations Command notified FN that the MK 20 MOD 0 Sniper Support Rifle (SSR)—a variant of the Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR) family of weapons, MK 17 (7.62mm)—was granted Milestone C and approved for full-rate production. The Full-Rate Production Decision Review by the Milestone Decision Authority occurred on October 28, 2010. The MK 16, MK 17, and MK 13 weapons received Full-Rate Production approval in July of this year and fielding of the MK17 and MK13 variants to SOF operational units is underway. The MK 20 is expected to start being fielded in mid -May, 2011.

FN Herstal, a worldwide recognized firearms supplier to generations of soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines since 1897, has ramped up production and assembly at its manufacturing facilities to meet the delivery orders placed by USSOCOM.

Following a worldwide solicitation to the firearms industry in 2004, FNH was awarded the contract by USSOCOM for its SCAR submission after passing all of the Go/No-Go criteria required by the solicitation and being selected by a source selection board composed of senior operators from every SOF component.

The MK 20 was originally designated as the Sniper Variant of the SCAR Heavy now known as the MK17. Upon the MK 17 reaching the status of Operationally Effective / Operationally Suitable and Sustainable, the sniper community within SOF focused on refining the Sniper Variant to more suit the needs of long range, precision shooting. With the revisions, the Sniper Variant weapon was military-type designated as the MK 20.

The MK 20 features an extended receiver which provides the additional rail space required for mounting in-line night vision and thermal devices with standard/sniper day optics, a non-folding precision stock with an adjustable cheek piece and length of pull that provides adjustability and a more rigid firing position for making long range target engagements, a beefed up barrel extension and barrel profile to reduce whip and improve accuracy, and an enhanced modular trigger that can be configured for single-stage or two-stage operation, requires no adjustments, and is ruggedized for field use. As a part of the SCAR Family of Weapons, the MK 20 shares a high percentage of parts commonality (over 60%) with the MK 17, maintains the enhanced ergonomics and improves accuracy.

The MK 20 SSR is built with an eye to careful economic stewardship and the small logistical footprint required of today’s highly mobile military. Overall life cycle costs are reduced by features such as a chrome-lined, hammer forged steel barrel with a service life of far more than 15,000+ rounds. Each component of the MK 20 SSR is built for years of dependable service while minimizing maintenance downtime.

Engineered for uncompromising accuracy, the MK 20 SSR’s free floated, chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged barrel is tightly attached to the monolithic receiver by a specially designed barrel extension, which along with a massive recoil lug, provides consistent shot-to-shot performance. And like its MK 17 counterparts, the MK 20 SSR’s barrel can be easily removed by the operator within minutes for detailed cleaning or maintenance.
FNH USA LLC, P.O. Box 697, McLean, VA 22101, www.fnhusa.com

Re: mk20 MOD 0 Sniper Support Rifle

Looks like a lot of stuff for a GI to break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fallcreekhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are these commercially available? I have not seen this iteration locally. </div></div>

as of right now no. It would be very easy to bring this to the commercial side minus most of the fancy stuff socom will be getting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a lot of stuff for a GI to break. </div></div>

what do you think will break? The stock does not fold fwiw.

I got to handle one at the Modern Day Marine convention last year. It's a heavy beast, for sure, and I want one more than any other rifle in the world right now. Damn that thing is sexy!

I could only imagine the price if they sold commercially... Cant wait till someone does a review on it though.

Same ballpark accuracy, as the .308 LMT MWS ?

No doubt, the LMT MWS, will cost a lot less $$$.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ralfabco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same ballpark accuracy, as the .308 LMT MWS ?

No doubt, the LMT MWS, will cost a lot less $$$. </div></div>I don't think so. I remember reading somewhere that FN guarantees sub-moa at 1000 yards. The chrome lined LMT MWS is not always a sub-moa rifle. Also, the SCAR is a piston driven rifle, which does have it's benefits, especially when running suppressed.

well lets see FN fix the shifting POI problems before we get spun up on a SSR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well lets see FN fix the shifting POI problems before we get spun up on a SSR. </div></div>

now when you say POI "problems"... how bad??

from what we've seen. BAD!!! like 5-10MOA at 100 yards bad. we would shoot a 8"x10" steel plate at 100 with it. come back the next day and miss high or low consistant. thats a BIG target at 100. if a gun can't stay on a chest size target at 100... just saying. i like the platform it could be a very nice system and i have one of the civilian versions waiting for me when i get back (got through a trade). we'll see. its nice and light and we've seen great reliability from them, they run clean, very controllable. the trigger leaves something to be desired stock, and the folding butstock breaks alot, the selector feels really cheap. BUT i think it could be a nice system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from what we've seen. BAD!!! like 5-10MOA at 100 yards bad. we would shoot a 8"x10" steel plate at 100 with it. come back the next day and miss high or low consistant. thats a BIG target at 100. if a gun can't stay on a chest size target at 100... just saying. i like the platform it could be a very nice system and i have one of the civilian versions waiting for me when i get back (got through a trade). we'll see. its nice and light and we've seen great reliability from them, they run clean, very controllable. the trigger leaves something to be desired stock, and the folding butstock breaks alot, the selector feels really cheap. BUT i think it could be a nice system. </div></div>

I believe you are talking about the regular scar 17s correct?

yep "regular" scar 17. not the SSR, i have not had a chance to shoot the SSR yet. though i have put a few thousand rounds through the 17

I dont understand this rifle? I thought the whole point of the SCAR was its modularity. I mean why not just make a longer barrel assembly for the MK17 and maybe a buttstock and dont you have about the same setup?

Still it does look pretty neat.

what they found was the regular rail with a scope mounted didn't have enough space for NV attachments. and the stock trigger is NOT a precision trigger. the stock could work i guess its not bad, but they are changing that too to a more adjustable PRS type stock. also with the long barrel it puts the bipod closer to the end of the stick also a little better.

I think the sniper version of the MWS comes with their stainless barrel. Not really sure what the accuracy would, but would bet it's much better the the standard moly barrel.

yeah the handle has caught me a couple times, FREAKING HURTS!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah the handle has caught me a couple times, FREAKING HURTS!! </div></div>

which model 16 or 17? I'd think that 7.62 round might take a finger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if FNH has said anything about a timeline on when the SSR would be made available to the public? </div></div>

This. Any more info on availability?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont understand this rifle? I thought the whole point of the SCAR was its modularity. I mean why not just make a longer barrel assembly for the MK17 and maybe a buttstock and dont you have about the same setup?

Still it does look pretty neat. </div></div>

The barrel attachment is longer/stronger on the mk 20.

FWIW, FNH is claiming .25moa over base line ammo.

-dan