• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

MK5-hd 5-25 vs 7-35×

Jmeier1981

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2022
Iowa
As far as PRS type shooting goes is one of these any better than the other?
I've heard some people say on the ATACR line the 7-35 is a better overall scope than the 5-25 just wasn't sure if this was the same thing on the MK5 or not... such as glass quality, FOV or anything else.

Side note... what reticle does everyone prefer? I've never tried a 1/4 mil scope so I'm not sure if I'd like that as opposed to a .2 type reticle... are any of the tremors really that usable, they seem really busy on paper.
Just kind of curious which configuration of magnification and reticle might be the most desirable or easiest to resell used if I don't like it. I'm not overly inlove with any of their FFP reticle choices but gonna give one a try.

As far as PRS type shooting goes is one of these any better than the other?
I've heard some people say on the ATACR line the 7-35 is a better overall scope than the 5-25 just wasn't sure if this was the same thing on the MK5 or not... such as glass quality, FOV or anything else.

Side note... what reticle does everyone prefer? I've never tried a 1/4 mil scope so I'm not sure if I'd like that as opposed to a .2 type reticle... are any of the tremors really that usable, they seem really busy on paper.
Just kind of curious which configuration of magnification and reticle might be the most desirable or easiest to resell used if I don't like it. I'm not overly inlove with any of their FFP reticle choices but gonna give one a try.

The ATACR in 7-35x is more versatile and used both in extreme long range (1,200+ yards) and also in very short range, like air guns at 20 meters. I do not think the performance of the optics is any better than the 5-25x. And, in the Mark 5HD, the same is true, that the quality seems good throughout the line.

For PRS, I would say that 7-35x is not the right scope. The Leupold Mark 5HD is a great scope, but you would be better served with a midrange (18x) scope, in my opinion. But, there are some who like the 25x. I agree with the previous comment. The PR1 and PR2 reticles are very clean, well designed.

I own both the 5-25 and 7-35 with pr2 reticles. Glass quality is the same in both. Having the 35x is nice for zeroing but I rarely use it outside of that function. The 7-35 atacr I had dwarfed the 5-25atacr I had. Compared them side to side. The 5-25 atacr was terrible at cutting mirage. Both the mk5's do decent in mirage and again no decernable difference between the models.

Reactions: 03machstock
I own both the 5-25 & 7-35 ATACR as well as the 5-25 and 7-35 MK5. The MK5's are identical in weight, length and internal elevation. While the ATACR's are not identical the 5-25 weighs 1.3 ounces less has 6 mils more elevation and is .63" shorter. The PR-2 Mil reticle is very easy to get behind and feels simple and easier to read with my crappy eyes but the Mil-XT is probably the best all around reticle that I have used. Hold over/under with the PR-2 Mil is not ideal but can be done. Best thing you can do is get behind both scopes to see what YOUR eyes prefer.

In a thread about PRS scopes I canvased the past year’s top 20 and listed their scope of choice. Invariably with Leupold-users their scope was the 5-25.

I had asked aloud why this was, as most people say the NF 7-35 is better than the NF 5-25. I assumed this pattern would be the same for Leupold.

Several people said the MK5 5-25 was optically superior to the MK5 7-35. FWIW.

I have no opinion as I’ve only owned the 5-25 MK5 (and had issues with the CCH reticle).

I have a pr2 mil 5-25. I love the reticle, good scope for the money. For PRS and general tactical style long range shooting iv never wanted any more mag. I shot an f class match at 600 yards the other week and I found myself wanting more mag as I could see the center of the target rings, but couldn’t quite make out the x. I’m thinking about picking up the 7-35 pr2 mil and moving my 5-25 to an ar I have that I wanted to set up for fun distance shooting. I’m not very serious about any specific discipline, I just like to shoot long range so I try to do some of everything.

I have a pr2 mil 5-25. I love the reticle, good scope for the money. For PRS and general tactical style long range shooting iv never wanted any more mag. I shot an f class match at 600 yards the other week and I found myself wanting more mag as I could see the center of the target rings, but couldn’t quite make out the x. I’m thinking about picking up the 7-35 pr2 mil and moving my 5-25 to an ar I have that I wanted to set up for fun distance shooting. I’m not very serious about any specific discipline, I just like to shoot long range so I try to do some of everything.
F-class is unique in that most scopes are in the 15-55X range but due to mirage restrictions I am usually in the 30x range maximum even to 1,000 yards. Most days anything above 30X makes the target/aiming center look like a floating meatball, magnification is great when you are able to use it. Last thing is the .10 MRAD clicks you will find to be very coarse compared to the 1/8 MOA scopes designed for that discipline.

F-class is unique in that most scopes are in the 15-55X range but due to mirage restrictions I am usually in the 30x range maximum even to 1,000 yards. Most days anything above 30X makes the target/aiming center look like a floating meatball, magnification is great when you are able to use it. Last thing is the .10 MRAD clicks you will find to be very coarse compared to the 1/8 MOA scopes designed for that discipline.
That’s a great point, I didn’t think about not being able to use it due to mirage. Thanks!

That’s a great point, I didn’t think about not being able to use it due to mirage. Thanks!
@Denys is a F-class guy and has said that many are using the new March 8-80 with Super ED glass. I guess it is usable at 80x in most mirage conditions, with 60x for really bad mirage.

Now that you have dragged me into this thread, let's just set the record straight about mirage, F-class, and Super ED lenses. As was mentioned earlier and correctly, F-Class is all about magnification, especially as one ages. There is a thread that was started years ago on another forum in which the OP first posited that ED glass was less affected by mirage than non-ED glass. Over time, it was observed that Super ED glass did better in mirage conditions than ED and especially non-ED glass. These observations were reported back to DEON who agreed with the observations and stated so in one of their news items. When DEON introduced the Majesta, it came with Super ED glass and some other refinements to further help with what they term as "shimmer protection."

The Majesta owners shoot their riflescopes at 80X most of the time, even in heavy mirage conditions when lesser optics are wound down to 30X and below. The IQ of the target will not win any photography prizes and can look quite yucky (technical term,) but the aiming black is still round, and you can see the rings, and in F-class, that's what you need. The WFD reticle is designed to assist aiming in all mirage conditions by providing cues to help maintain elevation (the waterline).

The Majesta is an SFP design with a wide-angle eyepiece that provides for 25° AOV, and is designed for very high magnification, in bad conditions, and that puts it in a class of its own. It is not meant for PRS where low magnification and FFP designs rule.

Last edited: